Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    9 episodes in before I had to take a break.

For comic book Netflix fodder I'm liking it. The heavy-handed attempts at super-inclusive SJW is clunky & cringe inducing every time they focus on the non-witches. Every body is special & everybody needs their **** solved with Sabrina's help. Can anybody run their business without Sabrina being involved somehow? Apparently, only at the goofy bookstore.

The actress is pretty enough & I like her acting. Better to have a solid actress than a Megan Fox/goth-hottie in a silver wig.

The time frame is slippery ain't it? There's no sight/mention of internet/cell phones. Yet, cousin Ambrose mentioned Neil Gaiman, Alan Moore? Noticed that all the vehicles are late 50's early 60's looking cars? In the aforementioned books store they do a quick breakdown of the Night of The Living Dead with premiered in October 1, 1968 in movie theaters. I can't imaging NOTD making it to TV for years to come.
    Harvey uses a smartphone. In fact, he's the only character that uses a modern phone in the whole show.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Harvey uses a smartphone. In fact, he's the only character that uses a modern phone in the whole show.
    What in Satan's name!

These guys are REALLY fucking with us now.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Just finished the Winter special last night.

Overall, I really loved this and am eager to see part 2. I love pretty much every character except Nick (who I also don't dislike. He's just sort of there), but Zelda and Madame Satan are probably my favs.

Even though I understand they have to work around the actress's allergies, I really want more Salem going forward. That goblin familiar thing is way too badass to keep sidelined. And I'm not looking forward to this Harvey/Sabrina/Nick love triangle they seem to be developing. They need to develop the latter's character a whole lot beyond "hot warlock who flirts with Sabrina" because otherwise he's bland as all get out. Harvey at least has his trauma, shitty home life and comic books going for him. And more interactions between Roz and Susie with the magic world would be cool.

Pretty sure Nick Scratch is the series big bad in disguise. What were your thoughts on those three demon kings in the last shot of the episode?
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    Pretty sure Nick Scratch is the series big bad in disguise. What were your thoughts on those three demon kings in the last shot of the episode?
    THAT would be awesome. Subverting the cliche love triangle would be wonderful.

I instantly thought of the Three Wise Men when those demon things came out of the mine (?), what with the Christmas thing. I wonder if they are going to be new recurring villains for the second half?

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    Anyone named "Scratch" is usually a stand-in for the Devil. Though I don't know how that would work on a show like this.

I watched this on recommendation. And I found it compelling (which is a way I'm finding myself describing a lot of modern television), but I have no idea what this show is about. It feels thematically confused and self-contradictory. (There's a whole episode about essentially a 'Witch Eucharist' . . . and I have no idea what they were going for there.)

There's clearly a whole feminist thing going on, but the Night Church is tied up in patriarchal structures. And I have no idea what the inclusion of spoilers:
    Lilith
    end of spoilers is about. The witches aren't evil, but they worship Satan (whom the show is depicting as evil, and not misunderstood or anything) and engage in cannibalism. I honestly don't know what I'm supposed to make of all this.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    THAT would be awesome. Subverting the cliche love triangle would be wonderful.

I instantly thought of the Three Wise Men when those demon things came out of the mine (?), what with the Christmas thing. I wonder if they are going to be new recurring villains for the second half?
    I thought the three wise men as well or possibly the three ghosts from a christmas carol
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Anyone named "Scratch" is usually a stand-in for the Devil. Though I don't know how that would work on a show like this.

I watched this on recommendation. And I found it compelling (which is a way I'm finding myself describing a lot of modern television), but I have no idea what this show is about. It feels thematically confused and self-contradictory. (There's a whole episode about essentially a 'Witch Eucharist' . . . and I have no idea what they were going for there.)

There's clearly a whole feminist thing going on, but the Night Church is tied up in patriarchal structures. And I have no idea what the inclusion of spoilers:
    Lilith
    end of spoilers is about. The witches aren't evil, but they worship Satan (whom the show is depicting as evil, and not misunderstood or anything) and engage in cannibalism. I honestly don't know what I'm supposed to make of all this.
    Yeah, those have been head scratchers for me as well. Sabrina and her family are clearly decent people (though Zelda is rather aloof at times, and has a bad habit of killing Hilda every so often), and Sabrina's own father even tried a number of reformations.

But going ahead with things like cannibalism? Yeesh. Its clearly something that the original series at least did believably. The magic world lived in secret and didn't want to be exposed to mortals. No Satan thing and what not. It was a 90s sitcom aiming for the teen demographic, so yeah.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Ambrose also has a tablet or laptop computer.

P.S. Also, his shirt was made (at least) after 2008, when the rock band Aloha From Hell started.
    Last edited by Charlie Rock; 12-22-2018 at 10:21 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Just finished the Winter special last night.

Overall, I really loved this and am eager to see part 2. I love pretty much every character except Nick (who I also don't dislike. He's just sort of there), but Zelda and Madame Satan are probably my favs.

Even though I understand they have to work around the actress's allergies, I really want more Salem going forward. That goblin familiar thing is way too badass to keep sidelined. And I'm not looking forward to this Harvey/Sabrina/Nick love triangle they seem to be developing. They need to develop the latter's character a whole lot beyond "hot warlock who flirts with Sabrina" because otherwise he's bland as all get out. Harvey at least has his trauma, shitty home life and comic books going for him. And more interactions between Roz and Susie with the magic world would be cool.
    I didn't know the actress was allergic to cats. Makes sense now why he isn't in more scenes. Salem was a big part of why I enjoyed this show. (you'd think that would have disqualified her, she is imo the weakest performer in the cast) The only character I haven't enjoyed was Sabrina herself, who seemed rather basic. But la-dee da-dee every body else was pretty awesome. Nick is a puzzler to me since that is another name for Satan and I can't quite shake the feeling he is more than he appears.
    Last edited by Charlie Rock; 12-22-2018 at 10:12 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    The witches aren't evil, but they worship Satan (whom the show is depicting as evil, and not misunderstood or anything) and engage in cannibalism. I honestly don't know what I'm supposed to make of all this.
    I take it as the Witches worship Satan because he is real powerful, and the alternative is not (a "false god"). So it's sort of a 'get on the winning side and hope to survive' kind of thing. They stay secretive because coming out in the open will draw a massive retaliation from the Church (the mortal Church). When confronted by such a massive amount of force that the mortal Church (and other authorities) can muster the witches would have to "go nuclear" and summon Satan to their defense. Satan, evil af, will destroy all up and down and everywhere. Devastation, carnage, et al. An analogy would be using a bazooka to kill a mouse ... that was sitting on your foot. Which is why they would sacrifice thirteen of their own in a witch-hunt if that was needed to convince the mortal Church that there were none left to expose (and bring about possible annihilation of the entire plane.)
    Last edited by Charlie Rock; 12-22-2018 at 10:34 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Rock View Post
    I didn't know the actress was allergic to cats. Makes sense now why he isn't in more scenes. Salem was a big part of why I enjoyed this show. (you'd think that would have disqualified her, she is imo the weakest performer in the cast) The only character I haven't enjoyed was Sabrina herself, who seemed rather basic. But la-dee da-dee every body else was pretty awesome. Nick is a puzzler to me since that is another name for Satan and I can't quite shake the feeling he is more than he appears.
    Kiernan Shipka was unaware of the allergy prior to filming. Apparently the scene where she meets cat-Salem for the first time was the moment she herself learned that she's violently allergic to cats.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Kiernan Shipka was unaware of the allergy prior to filming. Apparently the scene where she meets cat-Salem for the first time was the moment she herself learned that she's violently allergic to cats.
    Well that s00ks!

I loved the show! I'm not a Riverdale fan btw!
    Best line in the whole season was:
    spoilers:
    Zelda saying to Hilda: Does he know you're a virgin? It was funny af lmao
    end of spoilers