Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default What's everyone's favorite Christmas movies?

Mine are:
    Die Hard 1 & 2
    A Christmas Story
    Lethal Weapon
    Cobra
    Scrooged
    Christmas Vacation
    Home Alone 1 & 2
    Santa Claus the Movie
    Black Christmas (1974)
    Muppet Christmas Carol
    Lethal Weapon
    The Nightmare Before Christmas
    Jingle All The Way
    Scrooge 1951
    Scrooge 1970
    Mickey's Christmas Carol
    Bad Santa
    Gremlins
    Ernest Saves Christmas
    Christmas Carol 1984
    Brazil
    City of Lost Children
    Batman Returns
    It's a Wonderful Life.
    Christmas Evil
    Silent Night Deadly Night
    Miracle on 34th Street
    Elf.
    Tales from the Crypt the movie (1972).
    Just Friends.
    P2.
    Last edited by TomServofan; 12-21-2018 at 09:09 PM.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Tokyo Godfathers
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Scrooge. Simple in it's uniqueness, unique in it's simpleness.

Frank Capra's It's a Wonderful Life (1946) with James Stewart and Donna Reed.

An absolute American immortal classic.

Retired

Just watched THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER (1940) and that might be my new favourite. I watch IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE (1946) every year, so it's nice to have another Jimmy Stewart movie to put in the rotation.

SCROOGE aka A CHRISTMAS CAROL (1951) starring Alastair Sim is the Christmas movie I've watched all of my life and no other version of the story can live up to it in my mind. I know every scene and all the music notes and it's like a perfect symphony that you always want to listen to again. Also because my whole family would watch this movie it's tied into all my memories of Christmases past with people who are only here in spirit now.

LOVE ACTUALLY (2003) was a favourite from the first time I saw it in the theatre and I have it on DVD now so I plan to watch it soon. ELF is another that I watch fairly often--I like the little nods to things like the stop motion RUDOLPH THE RED-NOSED REINDEER.

Sometimes I'll watch CHRISTMAS VACATION which was supposedly mocking the sentimentality of Christmas and yet now is a sentimental favourite.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly
    Just watched THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER (1940) and that might be my new favourite. I watch IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE (1946) every year, so it's nice to have another Jimmy Stewart movie to put in the rotation.
    I'm a fan of old movies and James Stewart, but I've never heard of The Shop Around The Corner. I'll have to add it to my video collection if it ever comes back in to print in a reasonably priced edition.

Apparently, the Tom Hanks/Meg Ryan film, You've Got Mail was inspired/remade from this. Haven't seen that one either and don't plan to as the only romantic movies I'd bother to see would be from Hollywood's Golden Age.

Retired

There was a musical remake of THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER with Judy Garland and Van Johnson called IN THE GOOD OLD SUMMERTIME (1949). I've seen that one a few times on TV--but I don't remember if it has anything to do with Christmas like the original.

Ernst Lubitsch directed THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER and it has his touch. It's set in Budapest and has that feeling of longing for a time before the war that reminds me of many Stefan Zweig stories.

Speaking of Judy Garland, I will often watch MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS (1944) at Christmas time. I find the child actress Margaret O'Brien a bit hard to take in that movie, but it's otherwise a splendid musical, especially for Judy Garland's scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Tokyo Godfathers
    Since it seems alright to mention animated (anime) Christmas movies, I'll say Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz - Special Edition (movie version).
    Last edited by K7P5V; 12-24-2018 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Made a correction.

Gremlins i would say.

Which reminds me that i haven't watched that movie in quite a long while so, yeah, this year why not?

Gremlins
    Christmas Vacation
    Four Christmases
    Home Alone
    Iron Man 3
    Die Hard
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post

SCROOGE aka A CHRISTMAS CAROL (1951) starring Alastair Sim is the Christmas movie I've watched all of my life and no other version of the story can live up to it in my mind. I know every scene and all the music notes and it's like a perfect symphony that you always want to listen to again. Also because my whole family would watch this movie it's tied into all my memories of Christmases past with people who are only here in spirit now.

LOVE ACTUALLY (2003) was a favourite from the first time I saw it in the theatre and I have it on DVD now so I plan to watch it soon. ELF is another that I watch fairly often--I like the little nods to things like the stop motion RUDOLPH THE RED-NOSED REINDEER.

Sometimes I'll watch CHRISTMAS VACATION which was supposedly mocking the sentimentality of Christmas and yet now is a sentimental favourite.
    Ah yes, The Shop Around The Corner! I forgot about that one! This has long been a favorite movie of mine, but I have not seen it for many years.

Every year I Hope and wait for a bevy of Christmas Movies to run on the TV, but every year it gets worse than the last, with less different movies shown. I would live to see TSATC!

The old classic standbys that reran in my childhood and still do now.
    Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
    Frosty the Snowman
    The Grinch that Stole Christmas
    And the Charlie Brown Christmas one

Simple childhood nostalgia that captures the magic of Christmas.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

The TV specials:

A Charlie Brown Christmas
    How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the original)
    Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
    Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town
    Frosty the Snowman
    The Year Without a Santa Claus
    Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol

The movies:

Miracle on 34th Street (The original)
    Scrooge (with Albert Finney)
    Scrooge (with Alastair Sim)
    A Christmas Carol (with George C. Scott)
    Elf
    The Nightmare Before Christmas
    Frozen (not really a Christmas movie, but seems like one)

The Royal Ballet 2009 video of The Nutcracker

And the 1977 Bing Crosby Christmas special

My Christmas movie is In Bruges (2008). It's at Christmas, it's all about redemption, love it. Fa la la la la...
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Since I didn't see it come up, Santa Claus Conquers The Martians.

Edit: Come to think of it, Carol.

Also, Lady In The Lake. Bonus points for that it was turned into a Christmas film.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 12-23-2018 at 07:49 AM.