Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rogue and Gambit #5 Finale Synopsis and Review (Spoilers)

Synopsis:
    We revisit images of our two heroes from past to present, through a range of emotions leading to a reprisal of the shattered glass double page with additional key scenes from their shared history including new ones from this series and a few from possible futures. There is a quote from Heraclitus adding emphasis to the theme of change as a constant.

The shattered glass scene jumps us immediately back into the action where we left off with Rogue and Gambit fighting the golems hand-to-hand with their partially swapped powers. The process is painful and Rogue continues to hold back, not wanting to fully regain the negative memories or her absorption powers, though as Remy points out there isn't really an alternative.

Rogue notes that Dr. Grand has awoken and confronts her while Gambit holds off the golems. She uncovers that Dr. Grand is in fact a golem herself as evidenced by a hidden crack under her scarf and quickly destroys her, absorbing her memories in the process. The golem memory reveals that Dr. Grand is in fact a golem of Lavish herself, a coping mechanism young Lavish developed to deal with her mutant power of involuntarily absorbing painful memories of those around her.

Having now absorbed Lavish’s powers, Rogue is able to destroy and absorb all the golems that have finally overtaken Gambit and the additional ones that Lavish has gathered to attack them. Rogue attempts to subdue Lavish also by partially absorbing her memories/powers, however Lavish crumbles to nothing revealing herself to also be a golem and leaving Gambit to question if the real Lavish escaped or was a golem all along.

Having absorbed so many powers and so many negative, painful memories at once quickly begins to overwhelm a desperate Rogue. Gambit steps in calmly and lovingly helps her regain focus so she can return the memories and powers back to their rightful owners, starting with Remy first in a glorious kiss on a page that shows echoes of their other kisses past, present, and future. The patients at the hospital each retake their powers and memories and Rogue returns mostly to herself.

We cut to the beach where the Blackbird has arrived to evacuate the recovered mutants. Rogue speaks briefly with Janine and Theo, who reflect that their negative memories are part of who they are and without them they would likely be doomed to repeat their mistakes. I swear Rogue nearly breaks the 4th wall, as she looks right at the reader and says that's exactly right!

Finally Rogue and Gambit take a private moment on the beach to talk. Rogue apologizes to Remy, even though he insists they are past need for that. Rogue explains that she has come to realize that she runs away from him again and again because her own future terrifies her more than anything and she sees him as part of that future, that they are forever essentially. Also that she keeps waiting for circumstances to be perfect for them, but that with their lives the way they are and have always been from the beginning that will never happen. But basically she’s ready to accept circumstances as they are if it means being with Remy. They share one more kiss before the last of Lavish’s powers have faded. Remy says he has to ask Rogue something important and she is speechless. It seems like a set up to pop THE big question and Rogue looks pretty darn pensive for a panel, only for Remy to ask her how she feels about cats. Rogue is amused and they tease back and forth, though in a way Remy IS indirectly asking Rogue to be a part of his life if maybe not in the way she or the reader had expected.

Then we get into some funny banter to see us off into the sunset (literally) including Rogue telling Remy about a dream involving absorbing kitten cuteness powers that actually is an awesomely obscure reference to a web comic that diehard fans would recognize, a timely Thanos reference thrown in, and then them chatting about sorting out Rogue's powers to get back the electricity thing that happened in issue #3.

Review:
    Whew, that was a lot to summarize and there is too much to say it all in one sitting! There was a lot to condense into this last issue and I think KT did an excellent job with this one and the series as a whole. There are a good chunk of panels needed for revealing the story behind Lavish and reconnecting to the theme that make it less action packed than issue #4. I love that Lavish is likely still out there to potentially turn up again in future X-books and is a somewhat sympathetic character that Rogue can closely relate to. She wasn't a total throwaway villain without a cause! I love the esoteric theme in this book that is so true to life and to comics - the constance of change, but also that the more things change the more they stay the same and that feeling of life coming full circle. Much of the story is Rogue centric in her FINALLY coming to terms with and sorting out her feelings about Gambit, whereas I think Remy has been pretty steady over time in knowing how he feels about her. They are solidly together at the end of this book! Yay! We get to see a Gambit that is most true to the portrayal of the character as I prefer him - self-confident, funny, clever, a shameless scoundrel, and full of fighting prowess and mad skills. But more important to me, overall he is written as emotionally competent and as honorable and heroic, instead of the creepy womanizer or clumsy goofball he has occasionally been cast as by other writers. Rogue is no damsel in distress and her powers ultimately are what is needed to subdue this particular villain, but Gambit remains equally important in the mission because he ultimately saves Rogue from herself as the powers she has absorbed very nearly overwhelm her. The art is impeccable as usual - Pere has wonder facial expressions! The hints for future Rogue and Gambit moments and other Easter eggs for diehard fans are fantastic (the CATS!). I can't say enough good things about this series. My biggest complaint would be I wish this was longer and we could have fleshed a few things out in more detail. But considering the goal of keeping it continuity lite and the limited time, I found this series excellent. Yes they are my favorite characters and I'm quite biased! But the amount of work this creative team put into this series is beyond compare of everything else I am reading. Thank you Kelly, Pere, and all for this amazing series!

That last page was one of the best of the whole series. It's how both characters should be written whenever they share panel-time.
    Great mini-series overall, I'll be picking up the TPB.

Spectacular Member

Um, this was an absolutely perfect synopsis/review. Thank you, and I wholeheartedly agree. I just have to mention that I even think KT broke the 4th wall with the "I know you are confused" panel. Because, at that point, there was a lot of information thrown at the reader and I was honestly a bit perplexed at what had happened. So happy with these characterizations. So happy with this series as a whole (art obviously included). And tremendously happy that Rogue and Gambit end up "seemingly" together and in a good place at the end of it all.

Side note: I've asked the admins to change the Gambit and Rogue Appreciation thread to read Gambit and Rogue Appreciation: Ring of Fire. So, we'll see if they allow it.

I really liked that Remy and Anna ended up together. Now the writers must take note, and not return to the anguish, since Kelly did an excellent job leaving it aside. and he had years of problems on top, and he solved it wonderfully

What about the kittens, and the picture of all their most emblematic kisses, I loved.

The theme was perfect, although for many bass with respect to the previous issues, they have to understand is a mini, Kelly should close the loose ends, for example Lavish and her true personality and history should be told.

And while Rogue had a bit more game, it was logical, Rogue and Lavish had similar powers, in fact the powers of lavish are a less powerful version of the powers of Rogue, since it apparently needs a long time to drain characters from Strong power like Rogue or Gambit, which literally took several days to do.

It was normal Rogue to do this and not Remy, because of the nature of similar powers she has with Lavish, she was the only one who could do that.

Another point, Lavish could not keep all that power inside her, it would destroy her, nor could she with all those emotions, so in response she created the Golems since she could not contain much power, or emotions, and she had the Golems for when he will need them, either as pawns, or to use one of these powers on time.

Lavish was surprised that Rogue could contain all that power at the same time, at the same time all those emotions, Rogue tells him that he messed with the wrong mutant, the body and Rogue once again shows that it is the perfect container of multiple powers

Literally contained dozens and dozens of powers, the powers of Gambit + all the powers of Rogue (which are already several) + the powers of lavish + the powers of all the mutants of that island, that at least every mutant as a rule always has a couple of powers as a minimum, it is very strange those who have only one power.

Rogue used better the lavish powers and they were more powerful in her, this time nothing strange due to the similar nature of her powers, and Rogue already knows she is a host of unlimited powers.

I think it's pretty clear that she's an omega-level mutant, there's always evidence here and there, and the demonstration in issue 5 was spectacular.

I am happy with that mini and how it ended. It was a pleasure to read and a great present for fans. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    I am happy with that mini and how it ended. It was a pleasure to read and a great present for fans. Thank you!
    Listen, someone can clarify to me, there are iamgenes of the memories of Anna and Remy that I do not locate.

Exactly two of them, Rogue caressing the kittens of Remy, and Rogue and Gambit carrying some boxes, this has already happened 'or is a look into the future.

Maybe Anna and Remy move together again, at least we already know the relationship was revived.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegarogue View Post
    Listen, someone can clarify to me, there are iamgenes of the memories of Anna and Remy that I do not locate.

Exactly two of them, Rogue caressing the kittens of Remy, and Rogue and Gambit carrying some boxes, this has already happened 'or is a look into the future.

Maybe Anna and Remy move together again, at least we already know the relationship was revived.
    A look into possible future.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    A look into possible future.
    Wonderfull.

Great, Kelly did a great job to revive the ROMY.

She did her homework and she loves both characters, I love the new fb that I add to the continuity, the truth I love them, especially the wedding of Jean and Scott, and their first encounter in the Misland.

The thing about Remy mentioning Anna to her kittens was tender hehehe.

And then love the action of issue 5 with Rogue.

Gambit took the action in issue 4.

I thought no one would complain, but some extreme gambit fans can not please themselves, even Kelly came out somewhat offended by the gambit thread. And rightly some of the complaints were absurd and baseless, luckily not all gambit fans are like that minority.

And most of us love this mini Miss Tompson.

I hope that some main X-book will give it to you, and that you have as a fixed character to Rogue or Remy, I would love this.

This issue was great and I had a wonderful time with it. There's not much more to say other than that Kelly really knows how to write these two. She should be on the X-books, it's where she's at her best IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by PenUltimateInkmaster View Post
    This issue was great and I had a wonderful time with it. There's not much more to say other than that Kelly really knows how to write these two. She should be on the X-books, it's where she's at her best IMO.
    Hopefully and this happens, we need Kelly in one of the main X-Books.

Not gonna lie. When this mini was announced, I didn't expect it to end well. Marvel has been so good at undermining and destroying established romances in recent years that I did not see this series as doing much good for Rogue/Gambit, despite the title. I'm so glad I was wrong.

Kelly Thompson really raised the bar here. The end of this issue and this series really put a smile on my face. It showed that there is room for genuine romance with these two. The way it ended really helped establish the breadth of their relationship and just how much they care about each other. It was refreshing and encouraging. With Kitty/Colossus getting ready to tie the knot, I have high hopes for Rogue and Gambit moving forward.

Also, and maybe someone can check this for me, but I think this issue set the record for most kisses.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

I sort of hoping at the end, Rogue was going to take Remy up on his dinner offer in issue one.
    So...the electricity thing is going to be a dangling plotline? You notice Remy said when instead of if we figure out your powers we should see if can get thing back. I wonder if the person that helps Rogue with that is not a psychic, but an energy manipulator.

Relevant:

The only thing that could make this perfect is a hardcover with an interview with Thompson and Perez included. Some sketches would be nice to. Day one buy marvel and i never look for hardcovers but for me this could have easily been a best selling graphic novel.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/