View Poll Results: Should we have community topics, besides CBR chat?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

23 79.31%
  • No

6 20.69%
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    Writer/Editor/Superhero Marc Lombardi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
    This is an open poll, and a discussion.

Look at the CBR Chat thread. In just 18 hours it's already 66 pages long, the discussions jump from poster to poster, there is no conherent discussions whatsoever existing. People talk from subject to subject, noone pays attention to anyone and noone catches up.

There is no damage in having "CBR Chat thread" while "I am Marvel Community", "Ultimately Off-Topic", and other "tribal private clubs" exist. It's ridicilous that because one blogger got threatened with rape on twitter and some forums, us common users have to suffer, for pete's sake that blogger doesn't even post in here, why are we taking the bite? I bet she doesn't care two bits about this CBR forum reboot, so why should we, who care about our communities suffer?

Yes, i am using the word suffer, because i had a good time here talking crap with my fellow Ultimately Off-topic chaps, but now you're taking that away, why? Because you want me to post in a topic, that in assumingly 18 hours again from now, will be 132 pages long! How is that welcoming anyone?
    As a direct response to your post, here is what one of the Admins/Mods posted in the very first post of the CBR Chat thread (for clarity's sake):
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Cronin View Post
    Howdy, folks.

As you might have noticed, we've eliminated the chat threads on the various other boards, as we felt that having dedicated off-topic discussions on each board leads to a fractured, almost tribalistic sense of mini-communities where it was almost like an "us" vs. "them" atmosphere on what should be just one big forum. Just having them all moved to the same board really doesn't change that, it just puts them all on the same board. So instead we've decided to just have one general chat thread for all of CBR's forums.

We understand that this is a bit of a culture shock, but you'll still be able to talk and interact with your old friends from your respective boards, you'll just be doing it in a thread with other people from different boards. Hopefully you'll make new friends, as well.

The rules for this thread are the same as they are for the rest of the forums, just you can talk about anything without worrying about staying on topic.
    Now, the point that I think you're missing is this line:
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Cronin View Post
    ...we felt that having dedicated off-topic discussions on each board leads to a fractured, almost tribalistic sense of mini-communities where it was almost like an "us" vs. "them" atmosphere on what should be just one big forum.
    Saying you are suffering over this is overblown. No one is forcing you to post here. You can chat on other forums.

I also think this particular line you stated is a little disrespectful to Janelle Asselin
    ...us common users have to suffer, for pete's sake that blogger doesn't even post in here, why are we taking the bite? I bet she doesn't care two bits about this CBR forum reboot, so why should we, who care about our communities suffer?
    1) Her exact response on Twitter was "Really great that @CBR and @jonahweiland are doing this:" and then she linked to Jonah's explanation of what was happening. Then she also posted. "It's important that comics sites watch their community and make sure it's inclusive. @comicsalliance does it. @CBR now does it. Who's next?"
    2) You're calling yourself a "common user" and dismissing her as a blogger. You're specifically talking about "us" and "them" which is explicitly what CBR is trying to avoid.

I understand and can appreciate how you dislike the change to the forums. But ultimately is is not your place to run. It's CBR's and quite frankly if you don't like it no one is forcing you to stay.
    Writer / Editor / Production / Talent Acquisition - www.grayhavencomics.com
    Promotions/Social Media - www.shadowlineonline.com
    Twitter - @marclombardi

BANNED

It sure does look like the yes's are winning...

BANNED

If Janelle was seeing I am Marvel Community leaving CBR, other users angry at what has happened, i doubt she would be so thankful. It's okay to be thankful for the idea Jonah Weiland had, but the execution isn't working.

Removing Ultimate Marvel sub-forum and removing Ultimately Off-topic alongside community hubs, doesn't improve CBR forums at all.

Quote Originally Posted by gregyo View Post
    It sure does look like the yes's are winning...
    And yet ultimately that will mean very little in the grand scheme of CBR's new policies. Also, the thread you posted asking where your thread went got deleted. Because Mods are likely getting tired of answering questions that they're sure you know the answer to. You aren't even supposed to create "Appreciation" threads about comics, characters or movies. Creating one about one of the old chat groups is clearly someone trying to use a loophole to create a new chat thread, and the mods are seeing through the tactic.
    Twitter - @marclombardi

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Lombardi View Post
    And yet ultimately that will mean very little in the grand scheme of CBR's new policies.
    Why is it that people insist that CBR can't change their opinion?

If Janelle was seeing I am Marvel Community leaving CBR, other users angry at what has happened, i doubt she would be so thankful. It's okay to be thankful for the idea Jonah Weiland had, but the execution isn't working.

Removing Ultimate Marvel sub-forum and removing Ultimately Off-topic alongside community hubs, doesn't improve CBR forums at all.
    Except it does. Because ultimately it should help to eliminate the "us" and "them" attitude that those threads created in the past. An attitude that is evident in your very first post in this thread as I pointed out. That is now what Jonah and the people who run the site want.
    Twitter - @marclombardi

Why is it that people insist that CBR can't change their opinion?
    Probably for the same reason that people insist that they must?
    Twitter - @marclombardi

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Lombardi View Post
    Except it does. Because ultimately it should help to eliminate the "us" and "them" attitude that those threads created in the past. An attitude that is evident in your very first post in this thread as I pointed out. That is now what Jonah and the people who run the site want.
    Having only 1 singular CBR chat thread isn't the answer. It creates 100 pages per a day, how is a new fan suppose to feel welcomed by them? Having Open Chat thread + the local communities, only enhances the experience.

Less isn't more.

BANNED

Having only 1 singular CBR chat thread isn't the answer. It creates 100 pages per a day, how is a new fan suppose to feel welcomed by them? Having Open Chat thread + the local communities, only enhances the experience.

Less isn't more.
    By seeing that it's people goofing off, not taking it seriously and posting more off topic posts.

Less isn't more.
    So how then would you suggest a new fan come to CBR and test out the various dozen or so different chat threads? Are people supposed to be ONLY a Rita? Or an Ultimate? Or an X-Fan?

Look...I get it. You're used to how things were. But that's not how they are, and I think that CBR understands that part of the divide and part of the negative mob mentality that necessitated the reboot was because there were groups/tribes/cliques on the old forums where people (wrongfully) felt they could skirt some of the rules and discuss stuff that will be much more transparent the way it's being done now.
    Twitter - @marclombardi

Member Since Jun 2009 thecrimson's Avatar

No one will convince me this is the right solution, sorry.

BANNED

Well there is "the CBR Chat", i mean it is "the" chat.

Can you tell me how welcoming it is to go to a topic, that gains 100 new pages every day, has forum users make 7 posts in a row, holy crap. a single forum user makes 7 posts in a row and i am suppose to follow this singular chat?

It's ten times more easier to follow 4 different community threads alongside the CBR chat, and decide which has the most suitable atmosphere, because the CBR Chat is a major major turn off. It has nothing appealing to offer to anyone.

I'm on Facebook, but it's with my real life family and friends. I don't have anything againts you, but i don't want you to access my Facebook stuff. :b
    I need to find you now lol.

I gotta agree that mega chat thread is overwhelming, it's very difficult to keep a discussion going.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Member Since Jun 2009 thecrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    I need to find you now lol.

I gotta agree that mega chat thread is overwhelming, it's very difficult to keep a discussion going.
    The supporters are saying this is so people don't get ignored like in the smaller chat threads, but honestly the new singular one WILL do that. It'll develop its own group and only those people will be talking.

BANNED

CBR Chat is pretty much 1 dude making 10 posts in a row, followed by 3 different completely unrelated posts.

a Community thread dedicated by a group of 10-20 people, can have 1 subject going for 10 days. Thats why Ultimately Off-Topic was so awesome.