Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Do some writers do their best work in "confines" of a franchise?

By and large I tend to follow writers nowadays rather than characters. And usually I think writers produce their best work when "doing their own thing" rather than when they are writing a big brand name, and some DC or Marvel editor is telling them something like "No...you can't do that because...". Loads of examples, I guess we can all think of...but one that springs to mind is Greg Rucka on "Queen and Country", where I think Greg did wonderful work.

But on other hand, there are a handful of authors where I strongly prefer their mainstream DC or Marvel work to their more "independent" work. Maybe it's just because I don't like the themes they deal with in their independent work. Or maybe some writers actually respond to having their imagination channelled by some "external" discipline?

Examples, for me include Jonathan Hickman, where I enjoyed his Fantastic Four/ Future Foundation run more than any of his more independent stuff I've read so far, and (probably one nobody else will agree with), Brian Vaughan where I strongly prefer Runaways to stuff like Y, the Last Man, and Ex Machina.

Anybody agree with me that some writers actually produce their best work in a franchise?? (And although I've kept my own comments to comics, I'd be interested if anybody who read prose franchises such as Star War, Warhammer, etc...if any writers shine there. I haven't commented myself purely because I've not read any prose franchises myself.)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    By and large I tend to follow writers nowadays rather than characters. And usually I think writers produce their best work when "doing their own thing" rather than when they are writing a big brand name, and some DC or Marvel editor is telling them something like "No...you can't do that because...". Loads of examples, I guess we can all think of...but one that springs to mind is Greg Rucka on "Queen and Country", where I think Greg did wonderful work.

But on other hand, there are a handful of authors where I strongly prefer their mainstream DC or Marvel work to their more "independent" work. Maybe it's just because I don't like the themes they deal with in their independent work. Or maybe some writers actually respond to having their imagination channelled by some "external" discipline?

Examples, for me include Jonathan Hickman, where I enjoyed his Fantastic Four/ Future Foundation run more than any of his more independent stuff I've read so far, and (probably one nobody else will agree with), Brian Vaughan where I strongly prefer Runaways to stuff like Y, the Last Man, and Ex Machina.

Anybody agree with me that some writers actually produce their best work in a franchise?? (And although I've kept my own comments to comics, I'd be interested if anybody who read prose franchises such as Star War, Warhammer, etc...if any writers shine there. I haven't commented myself purely because I've not read any prose franchises myself.)
    It's not easy to create something truly original and great. That's a special talent above and beyond simply being a talented writer. Some writers are more suited for writing a series that is already established where major characters, themes and traits are already created for them. Even visually, its typically already created so they know what they look like when writing it. Theres no figuring out what Mister Fantastic looks like for the writer to visualize, what his personality is etc

I actually really struggle to think of many writers who's work I prefer at Marvel/DC as opposed to their independant stuff.

Waid maybe? But then I havnt read Iredeemable, his biggest independant work so...

It'd be mostly old school guys that havnt done too much indie work to begin with. Byrne, Claremont etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    I actually really struggle to think of many writers who's work I prefer at Marvel/DC as opposed to their independant stuff.

Waid maybe? But then I havnt read Iredeemable, his biggest independant work so...

It'd be mostly old school guys that havnt done too much indie work to begin with. Byrne, Claremont etc.
    Even with Byrne, i enjoyed his Next Men run more than anything else of his I’ve read, though I’ve not read much of his Fantastic Four run yet...and I’m (almost) sure I’d greatly enjoy yet.

I think I agree with you that in large majority of cases, I’d expect a writer’s best “own controlled” work to be better than their franchise work.

But riffing off RamblingMan’s thoughts, a writer who has great strengths in plotting and loves super heroes, relatively weaker in creating original characters might find DC or Marvel a rich field for their endeavours. I wonder how much success Geoff Johns, for example, would have had outside DC?

(NB RamblingMan: Tom Paxton fan?)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Even with Byrne, i enjoyed his Next Men run more than anything else of his I’ve read, though I’ve not read much of his Fantastic Four run yet...and I’m (almost) sure I’d greatly enjoy yet.

I think I agree with you that in large majority of cases, I’d expect a writer’s best “own controlled” work to be better than their franchise work.

But riffing off RamblingMan’s thoughts, a writer who has great strengths in plotting and loves super heroes, relatively weaker in creating original characters might find DC or Marvel a rich field for their endeavours. I wonder how much success Geoff Johns, for example, would have had outside DC?

(NB RamblingMan: Tom Paxton fan?)
    When I made up the name I had Allman Brothers Band (Ramblin' Man) stuck in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
    When I made up the name I had Allman Brothers Band (Ramblin' Man) stuck in my head.
    I wondered if it was music related, but of course, Tom Paxton song was “Rambling Boy”.

But had a grin when it turned out to be Allman Brothers Band. I’d never come across any of their stuff until last night...surfing U-tube to pass sometime, did a search for different versions of “The Night they drove old Dixie down”...their cover of that was tremendous.

the argument can be made for Irredeemable that it's heavily leaning on the DC universe so I wouldn't put it on the same page with for example: Y, Chew, Revival or Preacher.
    Another example I can think of is maybe Gail Simone? The only not company work I can remember from her is Leaving Megalopolis and that got kind of a lukewarm reception.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    the argument can be made for Irredeemable that it's heavily leaning on the DC universe so I wouldn't put it on the same page with for example: Y, Chew, Revival or Preacher.
    Another example I can think of is maybe Gail Simone? The only not company work I can remember from her is Leaving Megalopolis and that got kind of a lukewarm reception.
    Simone is a decent pick. Although her recent books Crosswind and The Clean Room kinda muddy the waters a bit for me again.

Bendis is another maybe for me. I feel his Big 2 work holds both his best and worst output. Where as his creator owned works are all good, but not quite great.

Simone is a decent pick. Although her recent books Crosswind and The Clean Room kinda muddy the waters a bit for me again.

Bendis is another maybe for me. I feel his Big 2 work holds both his best and worst output. Where as his creator owned works are all good, but not quite great.
    Oh yeah I forgot Clean room, heard great things about it but haven't read it yet.
    I think with Bendis is the same on both sides, he has some quality creator owned series (Powers, Scarlet) and some meh that I can barely remember now ( his crime stuff is probably good, I've only read Jinx which I've enjoyed but Brilliant or whatever was that with Bagley was pretty dull).

Peter David. Young Justice, Supergirl, Hulk were great.

Fallen Angel or Sachs and Violins. Good but not as memorable.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.