Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Default How much of a role should Lois Lane play in Superman stories?

The recent buzz about the Brian Bendis impending run on Superman has me pondering the question of what kind of or how much of a role Lois should play in Superman stories over all. Do you see her as the co-star of the series who has right to equal panel space to Clark/ Superman? Do you see her as the most important supporting cast member who should have a prominent role in most stories? Do you view her as just one of the faces at the Daily Planet more on the Perry White and Jimmy Olsen tier of providing occasional appearaces as stories allow? Or, would you prefer she not be used at all?

I myself see her as the most prominent supporting cast member and thus should have (in an ideal circumstance) a very important and large role to play in the Superman line as a whole. However, as a fan of Lois, i am not upset nor offended if she isn't front and center in every story or storyarc, nor do i think she should be viewed as the co-star of Superman books. After all, its Superman's name on the masthead. ( i however would love to see Lois star in her own ongoing series where she is the star, but thats a topic for another time.)

So everyone...what say you? Please be respectful and civil. I know Lois is a touchy subject at times and things can get heated.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

Depends on the story, the premise and the goal.

But usually when I read Superman, I want to read about Superman first.

BANNED

She can disappear for one arc or two, but not for three.

Lois is the most prominent supporting character is comic books, I believe. Even if she is not in a relationship with Clark, she can't really disappear given the role she plays in the books. With Clark, she is his sometimes partner, sometimes rival. With Superman, she is either pursuing a story about him or pursuing a story about some dangerous guys that put her in harm ways and Superman ends up interfering. She is not like Mary Jane whose life doesn't really overlaps with Peter's if they are not in a relationship. Lois only disappears if the writers/editorial are deliberately trying to write her off, like during the N52.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    The recent buzz about the Brian Bendis impending run on Superman has me pondering the question of what kind of or how much of a role Lois should play in Superman stories over all. Do you see her as the co-star of the series who has right to equal panel space to Clark/ Superman? Do you see her as the most important supporting cast member who should have a prominent role in most stories? Do you view her as just one of the faces at the Daily Planet more on the Perry White and Jimmy Olsen tier of providing occasional appearaces as stories allow? Or, would you prefer she not be used at all?

I myself see her as the most prominent supporting cast member and thus should have (in an ideal circumstance) a very important and large role to play in the Superman line as a whole. However, as a fan of Lois, i am not upset nor offended if she isn't front and center in every story or storyarc, nor do i think she should be viewed as the co-star of Superman books. After all, its Superman's name on the masthead. ( i however would love to see Lois star in her own ongoing series where she is the star, but thats a topic for another time.)

So everyone...what say you? Please be respectful and civil. I know Lois is a touchy subject at times and things can get heated.

I can simply copy paste your post and that would be it.

-Lois Lane is the most important supporting character. And she shall be really prominent.

-But i would be fine if she does not appear in every story arc.

-I want that Lois Lane book. I will settle for a back up to the main book(s) for Lois if the first option is impossible.

For me Lois is really important. If she is not around at least half of my interest in the story is gone. But if its done to serve the story its good. Characters serve the story. That is good storytelling.

Lois is a big deal for me. Unless, i hear that a story is great like the Pak run on Action, i won't even pick up the book if Lois is somehow not involved with Superman. I don't even read classics like Red Son and Kingdom Come as many number of times as i would read the other classic stories where Lois is more prominent.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 05-03-2018 at 09:35 AM.

I read the comics for Superman but I see her as some kind of Coprotagonist.

They are like some kind of Dynamic Duo(if both are in the comic is better) like Batman and Robin.

We hope that Bendis plans for set her aside are for short time. If we are lucky that "replace" in the daily planet can be a villain. However, today I heard about her that the planet needs diversity because she is a black woman.
    Last edited by adrikito; 05-03-2018 at 10:03 AM.

It ultimately depends on the story being told. I’ve always felt like people forget that she’s his best friend and sometimes she’s only considered his love interest (this doesn’t always happen, but there’s been times where she’s been written as a stereotypical wife in the past). Bendis is on the money when he said her relationship with Superman is the one of the least interesting things about her.

I think as long as writers remember that bit of information, they’re good.

Most prominent supporting cast member. She's not a co-star, but she's the step below that.

We hope that Bendis plans for set her aside are for short time.
    She's not being set aside at all. She's away from Clark/Metropolis/The Planet for the time being, but she's not going to be absent from the books.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post

She's not being set aside at all. She's away from Clark/Metropolis/The Planet for the time being, but she's not going to be absent from the books.
    I know that she will not be without appear in SM comics during a long time. Only the Planet.

And I remember Jor-El image too.
    Last edited by adrikito; 05-03-2018 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Most prominent supporting cast member. She's not a co-star, but she's the step below that.

This for me as well. Kind of hard for me to fully picture Superman without Lois Lane. She's a key member of the mythos.

BANNED

I consider Lois to be the most prominent and important supporting cast member. The heroine to Superman’s hero.
    Special circumstances and settings aside, I think one arc without her is understandable. I could possibly be okay with two, but I’d think it’s pushing it if Lois doesn’t get a mention. Three would be too many for me.
    Also, again not counting special circumstances, I would seriously question things if it a story focuses or includes Clark, his home life, or the Daily Planet and Lois is neither seen nor mentioned.

Having said that, I vastly prefer stories that have a strong Lois focus.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    I can simply copy paste your post and that would be it.

-Lois Lane is the most important supporting character. And she shall be really prominent.

-But i would be fine if she does not appear in every story arc.

-I want that Lois Lane book. I will settle for a back up to the main book(s) for Lois if the first option is impossible.

For me Lois is really important. If she is not around at least half of my interest in the story is gone. But if its done to serve the story its good. Characters serve the story. That is good storytelling.

Lois is a big deal for me. Unless, i hear that a story is great like the Pak run on Action, i won't even pick up the book if Lois is somehow not involved with Superman. I don't even read classics like Red Son and Kingdom Come as many number of times as i would read the other classic stories where Lois is more prominent.
    I agree with every single word written here.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

If we're talking about a Superman comic and not something like "Superman Presents ___", Lois to me is the difference between important and necessary. Foggy and Alfred are important, but not necessary. I like Lois more than those two combined, but I'd she's at the top of the same category. I'd champion her own story all day over a reserved slot in a given story about someone else. Superman is necessary because that's his name on the cover. I wouldn't say there's a valid reason for omitting Lois, but it's the creators' discretion and I don't believe in an obligation to show her according to any time table.

Astonishing Member

Same role she's always played, love interest and occasional partner.

Tbh when I read stories from back in the day across the years it wasn't unusual for Lois to disappear for stories at a time. Difference now is that stories take forever to finish so not being in an arc or two or three could mean you're missing for a long while. Plus Supes back in the day had more clout as a character and therefore more books which gave a character more likelihood of showing up somewhere else.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

I used to think she was essential to any Superman comic, but then the New 52 happened and...I can take her or leave her. Her presence or absence in the books during that time didn't make the stories any better or any worse, imo (I thought the books were either written well or written poorly independent of her). At the same time, The Death of Superman wouldn't have worked nearly as well without her, so maybe it really does depend on which story/era we're talking about.

My gut reaction, though, is I read Superman comics for Superman; if Lois is there? Great. If she's not? Also great.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Man_of_Tomorrow View Post
    Depends on the story, the premise and the goal.

But usually when I read Superman, I want to read about Superman first.
    This. Lois doesn' needed to be in every story, bu I do think her presence should at least be felt. Even during new 52 events like doomed, she was still playing a role.