Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

The idea does sound good on paper, Lois, Jon and Clark having to be separated from eacth other and dealing with a long distance relationship could be interesting if done right and frankly i always up for a good shaking up of the status quo, after all with have 2 years on Rebirth with the family together, so is not like they are doing it only for the sake of it, but i'm not sure if i trust Bendis, his DC Nation was ok, nothing that excites me but it wasn't bad either and at the very least i'm curious for how things played and for what it seem maybe this time he can contain some of his most annoyting habits.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Update: Bendis has been saying stuff like this

"My kid’s know that we have a weird house, and we enjoy it. That’s what the Superman family does. We’re not normal." and "what they’re trying to accomplish is a normal thing, and they’re not normal people. There’s nothing normal about Clark, Lois, or Jonathan. So this attempt at normalcy may be in itself the most eccentric thing they’ve done, because they need to come to terms with the fact that we’re not normal, so maybe we should make our own rules, so we might look into that a little bit.”

Add to that the new page from Fabok https://www.instagram.com/p/BjNlmwaH...en-by=dccomics and the fact that in every issue of Man of Steel Fabok will be drawing "a preplanned sequence" that seems to be dealing with Lois and Jon's situation.

I'm feeling more and more confident in the idea that Bendis will be sending Lois and Jon to planet Bliss, and we'll be getting regular updates in the mini. But that's not all! Bendis has also said that "Superman’s a person who would meet a lot of people, and he keeps meeting the same eight people. We’re going to introduce a lot of people, and they’re going bring story with them. We have Melody Moore, we have Robinson Goode. Over at the Daily Planet, we have Trish Q. Antagonists and protagonists — we’re going to be bringing tons of new flavor into Clark and Lois’ life."

He mentions Lois too even though it's becoming more and more likely that she'll be off Earth for a bit even after MOS. The fact that he does include her when talking about all of the new people that he'll be introducing. This makes me think that he'll be exploring Lois and Jon's side of things enough to actually introduce new characters that affect their lives.

Thoughts on the prospect of Bendis pushing for this not-so-normal family approach for the Super fam?
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I'm all for it. I don't expect it to last too terribly long, but to be perfectly honest I wouldn't be upset if it lasted a good long while outside of occasional visits. Its a not-normal family dealing with a not-normal situation. Its a challenging situation that it only makes sense for a family whose patriarch is Superman, a superhero. Not just a superhero either, THE superhero. These are the types of things that I can buy happening WAY more than them living the perfect city/suburban/farm life. Clark simply cannot provide the same life for his family that Jonathan provided for his. Its just not possible. What Superman can do is provide the same love. The details though HAVE to be different, though. Wildly.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I suppose the only thing that has me feeling any real trepidation is the reasoning for staying outside of Zaar or the Earth being in the Zone. I'm reminded a bunch of Robert Kirkman's Invincible with this set up, and that's a good thing because I think Bendis is a writer who can pull that sort of thing off. I have to wonder if the reason the stint on the alien world last a bit longer is because Lois takes up a cause/job that she's passionate about over there? I think that's something I'd be very interested in seeing played out under the banner of "we're not a normal family, and you can fly at light speed, plus your dad can apparently teleport into our kitchen, so I think we can swing this for a bit."

Regardless, I'm thinking this'll be about half a year to just under a full year. Funny enough, they'd quite a bit of story to tell after their return to Earth if the stay is long enough.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I'm not against the idea in theory, if only as a temporary one, but Bendis' ability to juggle sub-plots or dual focus hasn't been all that impressive as of late so I'm not sure if he would be able to handle it well.

BANNED

I think it's pretty clear by now that Bendis is going to use Rogol Zaar as a metaphor for Jewish oppressors throughout the centuries, including Nazi Germany. Krypton is destroyed not by natural events but ethnic cleansing. This would be something that's "never been done" as he told John Siuntries IF JMS hadn't already done it in Superman Earth One. Same idea down to a poorly-designed villain with a terrible name.

I know some will say, "but that was in Earth One, no one read that or cares anymore," but it was very successful, making the NYT Bestseller's list. That aside, it's still an idea that's been done before and done poorly. Bendis' arrival kicked two fantastic creative teams with years of story left to tell off these books and we're supposed to be thrilled about the unoriginal story he's planning? Not to mention the tired trope of separating Lois and Clark (and now Jon) for the sake of "drama?"

Nothing has yet convinced me that Bendis will do any good for Superman and MoS is all I'm willing to give him at this point.

No, I agree with you, Earth One did it first, its impossible to argue otherwise. If its peddled as new, it can only be argued in the context of a main continuity. But its certainly not brand new by any stretch.

And outside the name writer, outside of the "event"-like nature, I'm excited specifically because I thought the past era was for the most part was pretty boring. Tomasi has a lot in the cooker for Jon, but he gets to continue that with Super Sons. And all snark aside I genuinely feel Jon is more his passion than Superman. And outside what he was building with Zod and his family, I actually thought Jurgens was rather spinning his wheels just rehashing the 90s. And even the Zod thing has strong shades of New Krypton. As far as separating Lois and Clark, that's another thing that while not new, I don't necessarily think its been done to death. Since their marriage I can recall only two times; when Parasite kidnapped and masqueraded as her, and when Superman laughably left her to stay on NK.

But of course, to each their own there. I'd be remiss to not at least acknowledge its a risk, as despite my personal feelings, sales were steady.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-26-2018 at 10:48 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

They separated for a time after Our Worlds at War due to Lois being angry at Clark for ignoring her call for help to save her father when he thought he saw Diana falling from the sky when it was in fact Hippolyta sacrificing herself to take out an Imperiex Probe, thus resulting in Sam Lane sacrificing himself to crack a Probe's armour. So I make it 3 times that Clark and Lois have separated prior to MoS.

Oh yeah, forgot about that one. And that would be the only time outside the engagement break that they were ever apart for actual relationship problems, right?