Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Both in visual depiction, personality and general story quality that one short where Magik stranded Anole in hell for an extended period. It think it was called Big boy pants or something.
    Anole was written as if he was 8 years old. Drawn too. He acted spineless, cowardly and submissive. Which isn't like Anole at all.
    It was a far cry from the character that came to Pixie's defense when Magik was trying to steal her soul and stood up to her and Cannonball after Cyclops invited her back after what she did.
    #EmmaWasRight

Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    Herb Trimpe - FF Unlimited

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    As for the Jae Lee and Herb Trimpe examples, I blame the Rob Liefeld influence back in the 1990s. I also blame him for all the pouches too. They looked ridiculous on the Fantastic Four's costumes. Fantastic Four Unlimited I found hard to read because of the bad proportions on the figures.
    Actually, I remember reading an interview with Herb Trimpe in which he says that the style he used, back then, beggining with FF Unlimited, was actually editorially mandated. Despite being a pretty fast, prolific and dependable go to artist, projects were becoming sparse for Trimpe in the early 90's, alegedly because editors claimed his style was too dated and not exciting enough, so he was advised to try to emulate one of the hot new artists that were becoming Marvel's darlings. He chose Rob Liefield (probably because his style, lacking any formal technical proficiancy, was the easiest to ape). Well, it worked to get him some work for a few years, however, I among them, fans ended up hating his new style more than the old one, and that brought him back to square one.
    I have to say, the art made it a chore to read, but Roy Thomas' stories for FF Unlimited were pure Marvel goodness, and I was a loyal reader of it. There are a couple of issues that Trimpe didn't do that have much better art.

Peace

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I do think I remember an interview like that also.

I think I have that entire run boxed up. I should dig them out one day since Marvel hasn't digitized them for Marvel Unlimited. I don't think FF Unlimited has ever been collected in book form either. There were some nice covers in that series. You can check out the cover gallery here They have some ambiguations about who did the interiors on some of those issues. One of these days I am tempted to create and account on GCD and fill in the information there and other spots I've seen. A lot of the covers were done by artist Claudio Castellini, who did a number of things for Marvel back then. I remember a What If #109 and it was a story about John Byrne's FF #237 which was about Doom and Phillip Masters keeping the FF in the Liddleville simulator. His art was very reminiscent of Byrne at his peak years.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Actually, I remember reading an interview with Herb Trimpe in which he says that the style he used, back then, beggining with FF Unlimited, was actually editorially mandated. Despite being a pretty fast, prolific and dependable go to artist, projects were becoming sparse for Trimpe in the early 90's, alegedly because editors claimed his style was too dated and not exciting enough, so he was advised to try to emulate one of the hot new artists that were becoming Marvel's darlings. He chose Rob Liefield (probably because his style, lacking any formal technical proficiancy, was the easiest to ape). Well, it worked to get him some work for a few years, however, I among them, fans ended up hating his new style more than the old one, and that brought him back to square one.
    I have to say, the art made it a chore to read, but Roy Thomas' stories for FF Unlimited were pure Marvel goodness, and I was a loyal reader of it. There are a couple of issues that Trimpe didn't do that have much better art.

Peace
    I heard that story too. Ironically, it reminds me of a story that I heard about DC in the late 60's when Marvel started to overtake DC in sales. Supposedly, the editors were sitting around in a room with some copies of Marvel books trying to figure out why they were doing so well and reportedly someone said, "I dunno...I guess the kids like the bad art?"

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

I did like his Medusa in issue #2 where the Genetic Council hunted Ahura.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Peace
    Nope, sorry. He wasn't forced into that style, and in fact, he loved the work he produced during this time period. It's become something of an urban legend.
    Last edited by Cat; 05-10-2018 at 03:42 AM.