Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Bruce Wayne Goes Millennial In Batman: Overdrive From Shia Fontana

Part of DC's Zoom imprint. Batman: Overdrive details the adventures of a Bruce Wayne born in the 2000s as he attempts to renovate an old car his father had and turn it into the Batmobile

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/02...l-bruce-wayne/

What happened to that Trinity in Junior High book? Did anyone here read it? How was it?

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    What happened to that Trinity in Junior High book? Did anyone here read it? How was it?
    Are you talking about the Secret Hero Society by Dustin Nguyen and Derek Fridolfs? If so, it was delightful. Very similar in concept to JL8, though a bit more plot-driven and less gag-a-day (not to denigrate JL8 at all - it's a really polished bit of work).
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

BANNED

Well now there's a Gotham High book coming from the DC Ink and Zoom line also

At the American Library Association meet for the launch of the DC Ink and DC Zoom line for younger readers, young adult novelist of Alex & Elisa and Blue Bloods featuring the kids of Disney villains, Melissa de la Cruz announced her new graphic novel, Gotham High. A Bruce Wayne high school graphic novel with a 17-year-old part-Chinese Bruce Wayne and DC villains as high school teenagers.

She describes her Bruce Wayne as “a bit of a Great Gatsby figure,” throwing parties at Wayne Manor that he doesn’t like to engage in. And she populates his world with future villains of Gotham, including future Joker, Jack Smith, Bruce Wayne’s best friend — until they both meet a latina Selina Kyle.

Gotham high sounds really interesting! I look forward to it!

This actually makes me wonder, how many times have we legitimately seen a Batmobile origin story in the comics?
    Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Are you talking about the Secret Hero Society by Dustin Nguyen and Derek Fridolfs? If so, it was delightful. Very similar in concept to JL8, though a bit more plot-driven and less gag-a-day (not to denigrate JL8 at all - it's a really polished bit of work).
    Book 3 "Detention of Doom" came out a bit ago .

I wouldn't be surprised if the next book is under the DC Zoom imprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Well now there's a Gotham High book coming from the DC Ink and Zoom line also

This feels like Gotham mixed in with that Batman high school cartoon AU that was almost a thing.

Joker seems to fluctuate between "Jack" and "John" a lot.

Is this the first Latina Selina/Catwoman?

BANNED

What is this, Initial D with Batman?

I'm in

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This actually makes me wonder, how many times have we legitimately seen a Batmobile origin story in the comics?

Yup - I have all three! Though Nguyen says he's not really interested in wading through all the licensing stuff to do more. Fridolfs might, but Nguyen is focusing on Descender and Li'l Gotham (and I prefer Li'l Gotham, honestly, so it's all good! )
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

This feels like Gotham mixed in with that Batman high school cartoon AU that was almost a thing.

Joker seems to fluctuate between "Jack" and "John" a lot.

Is this the first Latina Selina/Catwoman?
    I believe so. Also I feel like Selina as Latina and Bruce as part-Chinese both easily make sense for both characters?? Like, if Martha had Chinese ancestry, it helps explain why Bruce goes on his Asian globe-trotting adventure to develop his Bat-skills -- he's exploring his mother's heritage, at least ostensibly. Bruce Wayne has always been part Bruce Lee.

Mighty Member

Well well it must be Batman the wonder years

Quote Originally Posted by gregpersons View Post
    I believe so. Also I feel like Selina as Latina and Bruce as part-Chinese both easily make sense for both characters?? Like, if Martha had Chinese ancestry, it helps explain why Bruce goes on his Asian globe-trotting adventure to develop his Bat-skills -- he's exploring his mother's heritage, at least ostensibly. Bruce Wayne has always been part Bruce Lee.
    So from Martha Kane to Martha Cain, give her and Bruce a connection to David and Cassandra maybe?

Overdrive sounds like a fun story about kid Bruce. Gotham high does have potential to be an interesting story about Teen Bruce but I'm reluctant because I haven't read a lot of teen Bruce so I'm not sure if I'm gonna like him.

Him being mixed race doesn't bother me as its the easiest way to racebend most superheroes. Most of their moms aren't full fledged characters in their own right. Marvel has this problem more than DC does.

Martha's maiden name changing from Kane to Cain is simple yet clever way to go. It be a shame to not hint at Cass's existance or focus more on her in sequels.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    So from Martha Kane to Martha Cain, give her and Bruce a connection to David and Cassandra maybe?
    Oh wow! Dang, that's perfect. Bruce Wayne with Asian heritage works so well it should be canon, wouldn't change any of the Scottish/English history of the Waynes.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Overdrive sounds like a fun story about kid Bruce. Gotham high does have potential to be an interesting story about Teen Bruce but I'm reluctant because I haven't read a lot of teen Bruce so I'm not sure if I'm gonna like him.

Him being mixed race doesn't bother me as its the easiest way to racebend most superheroes. Most of their moms aren't full fledged characters in their own right. Marvel has this problem more than DC does.

Martha's maiden name changing from Kane to Cain is simple yet clever way to go. It be a shame to not hint at Cass's existance or focus more on her in sequels.
    I agree! I was thinking too — why couldn't Superman be brown skinned? Kryptonians are always white, but they're an advanced alien race — couldn't it make more sense if they looked like the "platonic ideal of multiculturalism"?

The Kents obviously adopted Clark, since Martha was never pregnant. Growing up brown, with no idea of your true origins, in an all-white Kansas, realizing you have powers... it fits really easily, adding this extra dimension while losing nothing.

I just found out about this, definitely have my interest up. I love Batman origin stories, I love Batmobiles, I love elseworld type stories, and this sounds fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    Eh, I kind of like the Kane connection, maybe make a grandparent a Cain?
    And am I mis-remembering or wasn't there a theory that either the Kane's or at least Martha was Jewish? Then you could have a Bruce who is quarter Chinese and Jewish.

I don't mind race bending here because it is an out of continuity thing.