Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    As to who would work for an All-Star Squadron revival, the first thing to be settled on would be when it is set: back in the WWII-era, or in the present day?
    If in the present, then you have to settle on why the group is being revived, and also whether "All-Star Squadron" would be a good name to use or not (especially with the abbreviation).
    my recommendation: All-Star Brigade.

As for when, if not WW2, what's the point?

For my picks, I always thought Thomas was brilliant for using the established B-List of the Golden Age for his central cast (although Belle was pushin' it), so that's who I'd center it on.

I would (painful as this is to say) take Commander Steel out of the central cast; he's not original Golden Age, and doesn't bring much to the table beyond what Robotman offers. Maybe instead bring in Zatara, or Dollman.

I like an idea expressed here that things should not be as tightly bound together as Thomas had it. Let everybody be doing their own thing, maybe even cooperate grudgingly, or even refuse in some cases.

One thing a revival would require is a better excuse for characters like The Spectre not Stomping The Axis. IMO, it should be character driven. Superman (for example) might believe his intervention in geo-politics takes too much agency from humanity. The Spectre might say "outside my mission." The Guardians of Oa might be whispering to Green Lantern through his lamp, discouraging him from exercising so direct an influence on human destiny (I know, not their battery, but there's a connection that can be used).

I want Bozo the Iron Man. I didn't know DC owned the rights to him. Thought he was lost in the public domain somewhere.

Are any of these collected in trade? That is quite the gathering of characters.

I must admit I don't like Sandman's purple costume. He looks much more menacing, mysterious and cool in his gas mask and suit.

Retired

As I recall, Roy Thomas only got about two years into the American involvement in World War Two, so he didn't even get to the big climax. The beauty of the series was always the dove-tailing of real history with comics history, so I would want the series to pick up in 1944 and deal with the many historical events that led to VE Day and VJ Day in 1945. I guess the usual line-up of Stars from the Thomas run would be the main characters--Robotman, Shining Knight, Firebrand, Liberty Belle, Johnny Quick, Amazing Man, Tarantula, Air Wave et al--but for guest appearances I'd have the Boy Commmandos; the Ghost Patrol; Red, White and Blue; Mr. Terrific; Mr. America; Congo Bill; Etta Candy; Hop Harrigan; Johnny Everyman; and King Standish.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    my recommendation: All-Star Brigade.

As for when, if not WW2, what's the point?
    Hey, I'd be all for having a series set during World War II. But, unfortunately, I don't know how easy that would be to sell, and some people had already been suggesting characters who weren't around back then.

For my picks, I always thought Thomas was brilliant for using the established B-List of the Golden Age for his central cast (although Belle was pushin' it), so that's who I'd center it on.

I would (painful as this is to say) take Commander Steel out of the central cast; he's not original Golden Age, and doesn't bring much to the table beyond what Robotman offers. Maybe instead bring in Zatara, or Dollman.
    Zatara may turn out to be too powerful, and with Doll Man you run into the question of where are the Freedom Fighters during all this?
    As for Liberty Belle, making a group that's not just a bunch of white males would be beneficial, even back in the 1940s, and by including characters like Belle and Amazing Man there are more stories / more reactions that can be done. (I know I've argued against retconning Amazing Man as a member of the Golden Age JSA, but that group already has a set history: the All-Star Squadron's history is still very brief so far.)

One thing a revival would require is a better excuse for characters like The Spectre not Stomping The Axis. IMO, it should be character driven. Superman (for example) might believe his intervention in geo-politics takes too much agency from humanity. The Spectre might say "outside my mission." The Guardians of Oa might be whispering to Green Lantern through his lamp, discouraging him from exercising so direct an influence on human destiny (I know, not their battery, but there's a connection that can be used).
    As corny as it mat be, the "Spear of Destiny" and it's hold on characters susceptible to magic (like Spectre, Superman, Green Lantern, etc.) would still be the easiest explanation.
    It would also be a good reason for creating a guerilla sub-group of guys like Manhunter (Kirk), Mr. America/Americommando (Tex Thompson); The King (King Standish), etc. who could operate behind enemy lines without being influenced by the Spear.

Boisterously Confused

Zatara may turn out to be too powerful, and with Doll Man you run into the question of where are the Freedom Fighters during all this?
    Remember this would be Young Zatara. Look to Season One of Young Justice's Zatanna to see how you could make him manageable. As for The Freedom Fighters, that need be no more an impediment than The Seven Soldiers were on access to The Shining Knight.

As for Liberty Belle, making a group that's not just a bunch of white males would be beneficial, even back in the 1940s, and by including characters like Belle and Amazing Man there are more stories / more reactions that can be done. (I know I've argued against retconning Amazing Man as a member of the Golden Age JSA, but that group already has a set history: the All-Star Squadron's history is still very brief so far.)
    I dispute none of that. By saying she was pushing it, I meant that Thomas selected established Golden Age B-List characters for the central cast, and elevating Liberty Belle to B-List of the time probably requires a bit of charity. She was there for representation. As were retrofitted characters Amazing Man and Firebrand (as an aside, never did like how far away Amazing Man was from the original, wish Thomas had given us a man of color with the originals origin and powers).

As corny as it mat be, the "Spear of Destiny" and it's hold on characters susceptible to magic (like Spectre, Superman, Green Lantern, etc.) would still be the easiest explanation.
    It would also be a good reason for creating a guerilla sub-group of guys like Manhunter (Kirk), Mr. America/Americommando (Tex Thompson); The King (King Standish), etc. who could operate behind enemy lines without being influenced by the Spear.
    Just never could make that answer work for me. You'd think somebody like Stalin or the Ultra-Humanite would have put that baby to work later. Hm. Now that I think on it, that would have made a dandy tool to explain how Queen Bee keeps Black Adam out of Bilya, or how Brother Blood keeps Dr. Fate and The Spectre off his back in Zandia.

Just never could make that answer [Spear of Destiny] work for me. You'd think somebody like Stalin or the Ultra-Humanite would have put that baby to work later.
    Depends on if they had access to it and if they were able to unleash its abilities if they did have it.

Boisterously Confused

Depends on if they had access to it and if they were able to unleash its abilities if they did have it.
    Makes for a good Elseworlds idea.

Retired

I prefer to think that the All-Star Squadron was disbanded after the war. Not every super-hero team has to go on existing forever. It's conceivable that there was another organization after them, during the Cold War or now--but why would it need to be called the All-Star Squadron? Let that name have its place in WW II.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I think a modern revival of All-Star Squadron would be a great idea for a maxi-series in the vein of the recent Mister Miracle maxi.

As much as I like the original members, I'd like for them to focus on a mix of old and new Golden Agers. Let's see the beginnings of Amazing Man's career, but I also want to see what the rest of the African-American mystery man community was like. Immortal Men crashed and burned before the first issue even came out, but I love the idea of the Harlem Crimson Avenger type. I would love to see the origins of young John Henry from New Frontier.

And I think the concept of a newly created closeted member of ASS (snicker) is too good to pass up. Man or woman. I don't care. I think there's lots of potentially cool stuff to explore there, particularly as it relates to the other members of the Justice Society. Given Alan Scott's discomfort with his yet to be born son's homosexuality, would he be in on the secret or would he be blissfully oblivious like so many were about guys like Liberace?

In addition to Alan, Jay Garrick is a must. These two simply represent the Golden Age of DC comics to me. Carter transcends generations now. Jay & Alan are the two greatest avatars of this era.

Tsunami should be there to represent the Young All-Stars and the generally unexplored Japanese internment angle. You could also retroactively explore long-lived characters like I-Ching, his evil twin All-Yang (who first appeared on the cover of Detective Comics in 1937), Ra's Al Ghul, and that time's Brother Blood.

1940s DC is a ripe period for exploration. I would love to see them do more with it once they return from Limbo for the third time

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I think a modern revival of All-Star Squadron would be a great idea for a maxi-series in the vein of the recent Mister Miracle maxi.

As much as I like the original members, I'd like for them to focus on a mix of old and new Golden Agers. Let's see the beginnings of Amazing Man's career, but I also want to see what the rest of the African-American mystery man community was like. Immortal Men crashed and burned before the first issue even came out, but I love the idea of the Harlem Crimson Avenger type. I would love to see the origins of young John Henry from New Frontier.

And I think the concept of a newly created closeted member of ASS (snicker) is too good to pass up. Man or woman. I don't care. I think there's lots of potentially cool stuff to explore there, particularly as it relates to the other members of the Justice Society. Given Alan Scott's discomfort with his yet to be born son's homosexuality, would he be in on the secret or would he be blissfully oblivious like so many were about guys like Liberace?

In addition to Alan, Jay Garrick is a must. These two simply represent the Golden Age of DC comics to me. Carter transcends generations now. Jay & Alan are the two greatest avatars of this era.

Tsunami should be there to represent the Young All-Stars and the generally unexplored Japanese internment angle. You could also retroactively explore long-lived characters like I-Ching, his evil twin All-Yang (who first appeared on the cover of Detective Comics in 1937), Ra's Al Ghul, and that time's Brother Blood.

1940s DC is a ripe period for exploration. I would love to see them do more with it once they return from Limbo for the third time
    Hmmmm, a maxi could work. I'd love to see almost anything, but what about a series done in Dark Knight 3 format with center mini comic with a golden age style simplistic art story featuring a single character. An encompassing twelve issue arc with mini comics inside featuring a variety of characters in full 1940's quirkiness.

And an overall story about that time period with modern sensibilities and story-telling techniques.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Hmmmm, a maxi could work. I'd love to see almost anything, but what about a series done in Dark Knight 3 format with center mini comic with a golden age style simplistic art story featuring a single character. An encompassing twelve issue arc with mini comics inside featuring a variety of characters in full 1940's quirkiness.

And an overall story about that time period with modern sensibilities and story-telling techniques.
    I am not sure if the JSA has the reader-clout to justify the Dark Knight III treatment. It would depend on the creative team to see how big a deal a Golden Age revival would be. Who could generate that kind of buzz? Johns might take another crack at them, but that's going back. Same with Robinson, who I would actively NOT want to touch them ever again, Waid is ensconced at Marvel until Didio leaves pr apologizes. Matt Wagner would be great, but would he be interested?

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I am not sure if the JSA has the reader-clout to justify the Dark Knight III treatment. It would depend on the creative team to see how big a deal a Golden Age revival would be. Who could generate that kind of buzz? Johns might take another crack at them, but that's going back. Same with Robinson, who I would actively NOT want to touch them ever again, Waid is ensconced at Marvel until Didio leaves pr apologizes. Matt Wagner would be great, but would he be interested?
    I'm focused on what I'd want to see. Your assessment of the business aspects makes sense, but that wasn't what I talking about.

A New ALL STAR SQUADRON

My Roll Call

FIREBRAND
    LIBERTY BELLE
    MARY MARVEL
    EMPRESS
    SHINING KNIGHT=SIR JUSTIN
    AMAZING MAN
    JOHNNY QUICK
    ZACH ZATARA
    AIRWAVE=a new version a mutant with the ability to control air.

Quote Originally Posted by warzon View Post
    A New ALL STAR SQUADRON

My Roll Call

FIREBRAND
    LIBERTY BELLE
    MARY MARVEL
    EMPRESS
    SHINING KNIGHT=SIR JUSTIN
    AMAZING MAN
    JOHNNY QUICK
    ZACH ZATARA
    AIRWAVE=a new version a mutant with the ability to control air.
    When would this be set: WWII era or present day?
    Which versions of Firebrand, Liberty Belle and Amazing Man?

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

I'm sure Wildfire could have been featured more on All-Star Squadron despite the existence of Drake Burroughs: