Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default What characters would you like for an All Star Squadron revival

Seeing as how we can't even get a JSA revival, this is very wishful thinking.

But if a writer decided to revive the great Roy Thomas 80s title All Star Squadron, which characters would you like it to include?

The original had many JSA members as well as the likes of Johnny Quick, Liberty Belle, Robotman, Shining Knight, Firebrand, Amazing Man, and Tarantula.

Last edited by caj; 05-04-2018 at 08:29 AM.

[IMG] [/IMG]

I would use them all!

However , spun out of the JSA Appreciation Thread- http://community.comicbookresources....=1#post3556672

The discussion had turned to:
    Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    .....if you like only having white people around. (Having Bill [Will] as a token minority honestly makes it worse)
    I empathize with that complaint, this is allot of just white characters. and adding one token character Amazing Man, isn't a solution.
    And I'm not crazy about replacing and race-bending characters.
    However there are already other characters set up, appropriate to the era, you just have to actually focus on and develop them.

In that spirit, as well as the regular All-Star team, I suggested a parallel team, I'd love to see:

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    If you want to imply there were more diverse GA WWII era JSA members, it is rough going without inventing all new characters and retroactively inserting them.
    There is not much you can really work with, but there are some bellow:

The strongest move is to emphasize The Hawks as legit Egyptian, if you're already pulling from All-Star-Squad with Will Everett Amazing-Man, add females Danette Reilly & Liberty Belle, add The Whip/El Castigo (descendant Rodrigo Gaynor Suarez) Latino American, (Night)Wing Chinese American Wing How, Zatara the Magician (Italian/Romani), Tsunami Miya Shimada (Japanese American) and Legends has added Amaya Jiwe(who can also go by FlyingFox).

Is that all of them? LOL! Was everyone else white male? Who else can we add?

I'm sure in WWII these guys would have fought for their country, together they would make for a rough, but actually one of the more interesting and diverse teams. And they all already exist somewhat genuine to the era. Just put them in an adventure together!

If the world wonders why haven't we seen them as a team? (And so as not to completley retcon the original JSA [and All-Stars]), make it a covert mission, these are minority heroes who wanted to help their country but found it difficult to do so publicly. Maybe have Liberty Belle as the recruiter and leader, you can call them the WWII era Liberty League.

Also for more WWII era, Freedom Fighters now retroactively has The Ray and Black Condor.
    As to an ongoing All-Star "revival" I'd keep them set it in the classic Diesel-Punk-Deco noir pulp WWII era.
    And just add the above parallel team, rooted in whats there.
    Like JSA, Freedom Fighters and Seven Soldiers, just another group all part of the All-Stars.
    The above (micro-hero group) are pretty much as is, all already exist. its just putting them on a team together.

Liberty Belle would be leader and founder, and recruit this team for ongoing covert missions set in WWII.

-Wing alternatively now as the original earth NightWing, this is his adventure away from Crimson Avenger, he pilots his own flying wing vehicle, with appropriate diesel punk looking uniform and ship.

-Legends Amaya Jiwe antecedent of future Vixen, has the amulet and would be this era's FlyingFox.

- The Whip aka El Castigo is Rodrigo "Guy" Suarez, while outwardly he changed his name, on this team embracing his ancestral name, parallels to Guy Gabaldon (look him up) who Hollywood whitewashed into being more acceptable. He has a connection to Miya Shimada(see bellow) and her family growing up.

- The Hawks, as mentioned, are Egyptian Americans, tracing their roots back to ancient Egypt.

- Will Everett Amazing-Man, is pretty much as is, updated his logo into more of a star-shape.

- Tsunami Miya Shimada, great conflicted Japanese American character during this era, as her family are placed in American Internment camps, yet as an American, she wants to fight for her country. Here she can do so covertly.

Again all set during WWII, takes nothing from the classic All-Star team, or JSA, Freedom Fighters, or 7Seven Soldiers of Victory, who would all exist as is.
    They would be just another group amongst them.
    Not one of them is gender changed or race changed, yet it's an absolutely diverse team, set in that same era, of characters who already exist.

Instead of the image gathering around a table in JSA style, this team would have gathered around the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia.
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-20-2018 at 05:46 AM.

This was a truly great series and yet another reason for me to hate COIE’s...
    If by some miracle it was to return, bring back all the characters that were in it originally... Don’t gender change or race change any of them, you can add new characters of different race or gender to the originals.

My fondest wish is that the All-Star Squadron characters are trapped alongside the JSA and Freedom Fighters in whatever limbo they're in. I'm selfish like that - I want to see them all back with their significant others, kids, and villains. I might pull in a few of the better Earth 2 title concepts like Aquawoman (Marella) and Hawkgirl too, courtesy of Doctor Manhattan.

Johnny Thunder just need to have wished them all away when they were having some gigantic confrontation with one another.

If they don't all come back, I'm okay with new characters picking up some of the mantles of other characters and integrating them into the team...similar to the theme of the initial JSA title that started in the late 90s.

All-Star Squadron was a wonderful book which expressed Roy Thomas' love for the Golden Age. It was a way to look at those characters and stories with a modern (for the 80s anyway) method of story telling. Doing the same thing but with an early 21st century style could prove just as much fun.

But what I'd do is noit what Thomas did with everyone ina big book with a huge team fighting in WW2. I'd much rather see a "Legends of the Dark Knight" style book where a string of unconnected arcs with Golden Age characters are presented. We can have some Sandman Mystery Theatre style stuff, or heroes dealing with life after the war. It was a different time with different attitudes and seeing that is much more interesting to me than seeing heroes fighting Nazis over and over.

More to the original question of Who? Everybody! Use the Thomas cast from the last issue of ASS.

Ultimate Member

From the above picture, I definitely would love to see more of Commander Steel, Firebrand, Amazing Man and Shining Knight. I'm also a big fan of the lower powered magicians that have worked with the team in the past, with my favorite being Sargon the Sorcerer (although I also like Doctor Fate!). Others I'd like to see more of; Air Wave and Johnny Quick, maybe Captain Triumph or Manhunter or Hawkgirl?

From the Young All-Stars, I'd definitely like to see more of Iron Munro, Fury, Flying Fox, Dan the Dyna-Mite and Tsunami (and yeah, I just realized that's pretty much everyone but Neptune Perkins...).

Firebrand and Sargon are probably my two favorites, from that huge-ish lineup.

Extraordinary Member

Another pic

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    My fondest wish is that the All-Star Squadron characters are trapped alongside the JSA and Freedom Fighters in whatever limbo they're in. I'm selfish like that - I want to see them all back with their significant others, kids, and villains. I might pull in a few of the better Earth 2 title concepts like Aquawoman (Marella) and Hawkgirl too, courtesy of Doctor Manhattan.

Johnny Thunder just need to have wished them all away when they were having some gigantic confrontation with one another.
    You read my mind again, my friend!

I want to see them all, shown in all their glory!

However, I don't want any of the new characters taking over. I want the originals.

BANNED

Courtney Whitmore (Leader)
    Maxine Hunkel
    Jakeem Williams
    Tommy Bronson
    Jennifer Pierce
    Albert Rothstein
    Jade and Todd

Spectacular Member

Didn't they already try that with JSA: All-Stars? With Stargirl, Power Girl, Gog, Jesse Quick and others?
    I would have Power Girl (Karen Starr), Stargirl, Jade, Obsidian and Jesse Quick and whatever other members of the younger JSA related heroes they bring back. But it won't be for years since Geoff John's has a lock on all things JSA while they slowly release Doomsday Clock.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Firebrand
    Robotman
    Amazing Man
    Steel
    Shinning Knight
    Jesse Quick
    Tsunami
    Iron Monru
    Fury
    Jade
    Obsidian
    Atom Smasher
    Cyclone

Sort of a combo team made up of former All Star Squadron, Young All Stars, and Infinity Inc. members.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Courtney Whitmore (Leader)
    Maxine Hunkel
    Jakeem Williams
    Tommy Bronson
    Jennifer Pierce
    Albert Rothstein
    Jade and Todd
    That's a dope line up.

Maxine Hunkel is underappreciated.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 05-04-2018 at 08:01 PM.

Iron Munro
    Fury
    Flying Fox
    Dan the Dyna-Mite
    Neptune Perkins

Prince Gavyn/Will Payton weird hybrid Starman (maybe fused with a third being too)
    Cyclone/Maxine Hunkel
    Jakeem Thunder
    Tommy Bronson/Wildcat's son
    Jared Stevens/Fate (updated, but still hunting demons)
    Doctor Mid-Nite/Beth Chapel
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 05-04-2018 at 10:43 PM.

Double post, sorry mods.

And there's also the All-Star Squadron Appreciation Thread: