Spectacular Member

Default Batman:SOTB #80/Azrael #47 flipbook

Any longtime readers who remember buying the Batman: Shadow of the Bat #80/Azrael #47 flipbook back in 1998? (Wow, 20 years ago!) It seems like a random gimmick that wasn't repeated. I was reading both titles at the time, so I was perfectly fine with it. There was a small savings in price, but probably not enough to entice new readers. According to MyComicShop, B:SOTB was $1.99, Azrael had recently gone up to $2.25, and the flipbook was $3.95. Do you think anything like this could be successful today? My gut says no. Seems to me the only practical thing to try would be a large anthology title with a common theme, such as Batman-related stories, with a large enough page count to offer real price savings.

Spectacular Member

Further thoughts: Maybe a one-time anthology experiment in place of regular single issues would expose readers to titles they weren't buying before. But an ongoing project in this format would be a challenge. Imagine how one late creative team could cause everything to stop.

Amazing Member

Actually, I think I do remember that book. I think I even own it, somewhere. The thing I hated about the concept, though, was the fact that I never knew which collection to file it under, SHADOW or AZRAEL. Not very good if you're OCD-ish like me.

Yes, I own this also. Bought it brand new back in 1998. This book was the kickoff of the "Road to No Man's Land" event.

Quote Originally Posted by WingGrayson View Post
    Actually, I think I do remember that book. I think I even own it, somewhere. The thing I hated about the concept, though, was the fact that I never knew which collection to file it under, SHADOW or AZRAEL. Not very good if you're OCD-ish like me.
    Exactly! I was buying both titles at the time also. I have mine filed with my SHADOW OF THE BAT books. I keep track of all my comic book and graphic novels in an excel sheet. I count SOTB 80 and AZRAEL 47 as two separate comics even though they were combined into one book. If you look, they do each have their own separate indicia information within the book.

As far as I know this was the only time something like this was done. It's certainly the only book like this I own in my collection of 7,000+ comics. Can't really say I'd like to see something like this again. I'd be fine picking up an anthology but I just don't like the idea of a two-in-one comic for the reasons above.
    Post CBR reboot join date: May 2014, Pre CBR reboot join date: April 2005
    Official DC message boards join date (as Batman Fan 31593): April 2000

Spectacular Member AzraelOnline's Avatar

I'm not sure how many times DC did this, but Marvel actually used to do it a lot. And as much as the 'fine folks' ::eye rolls:: at CBR would like to write this off as a 90's gimmick, Marvel had actually been doing it since the 80's.
    Azrael Online - The Source for all things Azrael

Spectacular Member

Had no idea about Marvel doing it earlier. Admittedly I lean heavily toward DC and a few independents. FYI: I file my copy with Shadow, not Azrael.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kevink31593 View Post
    Yes, I own this also. Bought it brand new back in 1998. This book was the kickoff of the "Road to No Man's Land" event.

Exactly! I was buying both titles at the time also. I have mine filed with my SHADOW OF THE BAT books. I keep track of all my comic book and graphic novels in an excel sheet. I count SOTB 80 and AZRAEL 47 as two separate comics even though they were combined into one book. If you look, they do each have their own separate indicia information within the book.
    I did the same, also the excle file