Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Default Question: Exactly how far has Kurt gone with his relationships?

Now before anyone freaks out, I want to say that this is a question that a bet is being hinged on for some free comics. My friend just recently saw X-men Apocalypse, and got hooked on Nightcrawler and wants to read more about him. So I was talking to her and telling her some issues that would be good starts. Then we were talking about his relationships both platonic and romantic. Then I told her about the time that the X-men fought Dracula, and how Kurt used the cross sign to weaken him. She was suprised to learn he's Catholic.

Now here's where the question came in. Because he's catholic she was curious on his view of sex outside of marriage. I told her that I thought he was perfectly fine with it and probably had relations with his former love interests. She indicated that to her it wouldn't make much sense if he was a devout Catholic for him to be having relations before marriage and this went back and forth.

So what I'm wondering is, has Nightcrawler had relations with any of his love interests? Like I know Scott and Jean, Emma, Warren and Logan for sure, and probably Ororo and Peter, and I think Kitty et. all. But Kurt, I can't really remember the X books really expressly showing or implying he spent the night with anyone. As I said there's a bet going on with this. So I think he did, but no one's shown it at least in the stories I've read, but she seems to think that because he's Catholic that he would have waited for something like an engagement or something. The winner has the one that was wrong buying some of the winners choice of comics for them. So has there been anything physically in the books or a novel or anything that showed Kurt, and I'm talking 616 not Ultimate version, in bed or implied to be in bed with someone.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Not only did the Elf have pre-marital relations, but most of those were with his sister.

BANNED

Not only did the Elf have pre-marital relations, but so do the vast majority of Catholics.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

LOL. I think Kurt is probably one of the most sexually active X-Men. It has been implied a thousand times.

Also, some evidences.

Last edited by Ricochet Rita; 05-05-2018 at 06:18 AM.

For Kurt, I'd say Amanda Sefton, Cerise, and Anjulie, at least, are pretty much confirmed.

As for his Catholicism, he's a believer for certain, but only super-devout when he's being Flanderized by writers who think that's all there is to him.

I'd add Bloody Bess to the confirmed list.

A lot of Kurt's romantic adventures are implied. Cockrum had he and Vanisher stranded in a world of all women in Bizarre Adventures, and it was heavily implied that Kurt kept himself busy. He spent a romantic week with Mara Keller, but it was stated, not shown. It's been implied that he and Ororo had a FWB situation before.

"The touch of a woman" was also the reason he gave for leaving the priesthood.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Astonishing Member

...but that was Austen, and therefore should be ignored...

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sundowhn View Post
    I'd add Bloody Bess to the confirmed list.

A lot of Kurt's romantic adventures are implied. Cockrum had he and Vanisher stranded in a world of all women in Bizarre Adventures, and it was heavily implied that Kurt kept himself busy. He spent a romantic week with Mara Keller, but it was stated, not shown. It's been implied that he and Ororo had a FWB situation before.

"The touch of a woman" was also the reason he gave for leaving the priesthood.
    I agree with Bloody Bess. Don't have an opinion about Mara Keller, since I haven't read that story.

I'm not so sure about Ororo. Being this right, it sure should have had a deeper effect in both characters --it's not something trivial.

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    ...but that was Austen, and therefore should be ignored...
    OK, it's not Claremont's canon. Nevertheless, IMHO it's absolutely in-character, his meeting with Nocturne as well as his admission about having sexual needs. My only objection is that Kurt should practice safe sex, responsible as he is, so his comment about T.J. may be taken more as a joke.
    Last edited by Ricochet Rita; 05-05-2018 at 08:28 AM.

Kurt always liked flirting with girls including teammates and sex before marriage does not seem to be a problem since the times of excalibur.

https://x-meninyourface.tumblr.com/post/3291826053

Spectacular Member comradepitrovsky's Avatar

Ladies love Kurt Wagner.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post

I'm not so sure about Ororo. Being this right, it sure should have had a deeper effect in both characters --it's not something trivial.
    Agree, it should have. Claremont (hinted), Sarcosa (stated and implied) and Aaron(vaguely implied) were the only writers to go with that angle between them, that I can remember, anyway.

Whichever, I do agree that, along with Wolverine and Gambit, Nightcrawler probably has the most on page sexual exploits. His faith didn't slow him down any.

Incredible Member

What was Nightcrawler's character like under Len Wein?

You know most Catholics have sex before marriage

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Oh I know, she's the one that found it odd with him being the way he was in the movies, and then the versions she's heard of via others with the whole being a priest and all. I always assumed that Kurt would be the most careful given his actual mutation and all that. Do we count his wife in the Alt Universe version of him? So yeah she got me some comics, but it's an interesting thing to look back at Kurt and, I think he's the one that's also the biggest flirt.

Oh Aaron implied a romance attraction between Kurt and Ororo, but I think like just about every male on the team, save Scott has at one time or another wanted to date her.

Incredible Member

Resurrecting this old thread because I'm fascinated by the subject matter. As people have pointed out, yes, the vast majority of Catholics have sex before marriage, but the vast majority of Catholics (like Matt Murdock) dont' hang out in Cathedrals, study in the seminary, pray the Rosary, and, at least in the movie version, literally cut angelic symbols into their skin every time they sin.

To clarify, the church has a set of teachings they consider to be infallible and unchanging, called the Magisterium. This includes banning sex before marriage. Yep, most Catholics ignore it, but anyone I've known in my life who acts the way Kurt acts tends to be in that minority as a practicing Magisterialist Catholic, including most seminarians and priests (though not all, let's just get that elephant out of the room). So yes, Kurt's particular devotedness to the faith and his seemingly wild sex life do seem to be at odds, which is why it was a good addition by Chuck Austen to have that line about the "touch of a woman" being a conflict for Kurt, and leading him away from the priesthood.

At any rate, here are some examples this thread led me to uncover.

1981 Jul. Bizarre Adventures #27 JKurt and Vanisher are dropped in a world full of women, and it is "heavily implied" that Kurt "keeps busy" (though how it's implied I don't know)
    1983 May Uncanny X-Men #169 Kurt is shown naked in a hottub with Amanda Sefton
    1989 Dec. Excalibur #16 Anjulie seduces him.

2003 Sept. Exiles #29 Upon seeing Nocturne, he remarks "I knew I should have been more careful."
    2003 Uncanny X-Men: Hope “the touch of a woman” is given as a reason for leaving the priesthood.
    2009 May X-Men: Manifest Destiny Mara Keller and him spend a romantic week together. No sex implied other than that, but knowing Kurt...
    2014 Oct. Nightcrawler #5? Bloody Bess is apparently confirmed, though what happens to suggest it I don't know.

I'm not sure what examples there are of Cerise and Storm. A poster here stated the friends-with-benefits relationship with Storm was referenced by "Claremont (hinted), Sarcosa (stated and implied) and Aaron(vaguely implied)"

I also remember an old comic book I read once where a girlfriend of Kurt's walks through the door to her apartment to see Kurt waiting with two glasses of champagne and some candlelight, or something like that.

On the other hand, we have a nice little timeline here of Kurt's sex life, but what about his faith life? When did he start being portrayed as religious? When did he start wearing that collar? I take it 2003 was when he left the priesthood.