Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Take Your Fate! Khalid Nassour Appreciation Thread

First Appearance: Doctor Fate Vol 4 #1 (August, 2015)

Created by: Paul Levitz and Sonny Liew

Astonishing Member

hm, I wonder if we'll ever see this guy again?
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Me too.

Are his stories from an alternate universe?
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

I liked him, I wouldn’t mind seeing more of Khalid. I do wish they gave him a costume instead of him keeping his street clothes on.

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    Me too.

I don’t think it was ever established.

Astonishing Member

Though it's not referenced here, I love both Khalids, the Earth-2 one and the main DC one. I quite appreciated that Dr. Fate, who uses much from Egyptian myth, was for the first time Egyptian/Egyptian-decent. Both characters were really cool! I miss 'em both, honestly.

Me too.

As far as I know, it wasn't supposed to be in a different universe. Like a number of stuff that came out then, it was in the main DC universe, but the goings on remained confined to that specific book, with no other book referencing it. But like I said, as far as I know, it was meant to be in the main DC universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
    I liked him, I wouldn’t mind seeing more of Khalid. I do wish they gave him a costume instead of him keeping his street clothes on.
    I can appreciate the idea for why they didn't. From the ambiatic point of view of the story, Khalid's ongoing reluctance of being Dr. Fate is reflective in that he only wore street clothes, specifically his trademark blue hoodie with the helmet, but never a full costume.

That said, I'd have liked main DC Khalid to have had a full costume, too, since I love that stuff.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 06-11-2018 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    I can appreciate the idea for why they didn't. From the ambiatic point of view of the story, Khalid's ongoing reluctance of being Dr. Fate is reflective in that he only wore street clothes, specifically his trademark blue hoodie with the helmet, but never a full costume.

That said, I'd have liked main DC Khalid to have had a full costume, too, since I love that stuff.
    Good point, he was pretty reluctant to become Dr. Fate so sticking with the street clothes makes sense. I think by the conclusion of the series would Have been a good time for him to get a costume because by then he had embraced the fact he is a hero.

Mighty Member

I think im okay with the kid wearing street clothes. It worked for Starman and Luke Cage. Besides a costume doesn't make the superhero
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Khalid Nassour will be appearing in Scott Snyder's Justice League Dark

https://www.newsarama.com/40274-just...w-villain.html

I want to like him, but the series started off so slow that I had to drop the book (only so much money to go around) and he didn't seem much more than another take on Peter Parker. If the story had moved faster maybe I would have seen more dimension.

Glad to see he'll be back though.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

Given I don't think they're going to write Kent out of the job off-panel, maybe he's Dr. Fate's apprentice now?

I really enjoyed Khalid's adventures, especially the one where he went up against Great Caesar's Ghost. I suspect a big part of my appreciation for him comes from Sonny Liew's art.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

I hope he gets portrayed well. I think he would have made a great addition to the Justice League Dark team, as the rookie of the group.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

So now what's happened to Kent Nelson?

I guess we'll find out. At least I hope so, and DC doesn't just ignore it. Kent Nelson was the Dr. Fate in Blue Beetle, Dark Metal, and No Justice.
    WHO DAT?!!

I liked Kahlids book a lot. To me it felt like a more mature Ms. Marvel.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
    Good point, he was pretty reluctant to become Dr. Fate so sticking with the street clothes makes sense. I think by the conclusion of the series would Have been a good time for him to get a costume because by then he had embraced the fact he is a hero.
    Agreed. Would have made a good send-off for the book. They'd have had to design a look for him that he'd have only worn for a short time out-of-universe, which would have been a deterrent for why they wouldn't do it, assuming the idea even crossed their minds or they even wanted to do something like that. They might have been going for a (stereo)typical Starman thing, even if the hardheaded adhearance against a costumed identity can come off as frustrating.

I hope he gets portrayed well. I think he would have made a great addition to the Justice League Dark team, as the rookie of the group.
    An actual member of Justice League Dark would be nice. Maybe it could still happen?

Happy to hear he's not 100% gone, though.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 06-11-2018 at 01:13 PM.