Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Avengers: Plothole wars (Warning Spoilers)

(Warning Spoilers)

So, I know most people are raving about the new avengers film, but I gotta say, I was just shaking my head at the continual plotholes. I really wanted to like this movie but it just didn't make any sense. Let me count the ways...

1: Thanos humiliates Hulk.... without any structural damage to the scrapyard vessel they are fighting on? Thanos beating Hulk is fine, but he wasn't even being hit that hard, if he was he'd be flying thru walls of that ship, as Hulk & Thor did in Thor 3. *keep in mind the ship in question was from the same Thor 3 film's sakarr that Thor and Hulk fought on.

2: Iron man, Spider-man, and Dr. strange head to Titan. Tony & Doc are arguing whether they should go home or 'take the fight to Thanos'.... Why not do both? Why couldn't Strange make a portal once they got to Titan and summon all the avengers.... or atleast the ones they could find on short notice.

3: Iron man, Dr. Stange, Spider-man, and the GotG decide to take Thanos by 'surprise.'... And it's actually working very well! It kinda takes away from the idea of what a massive threat this guy is supposed to be for me, to be honest how easily their plan seemed to work. But then, they decide to stand by let Star Lord beat on Thanos while he's comatose. Not a hit-one 'oops' we better restrain him, no. They let Quill just pound him repeatedly, thereby accidently hitting Mantis' hand, breaking the connection holding Thanos at bay. At no point does Dr. Strange use the time gem that could fix all of this instantly, either.... And we know the rest.

4: Scarlet Witch destroys the mind gem to prevent Thanos from gaining all the stones, killing Vision in the process. But the infinity stones are the aspects of the universe, so if she did this, then everyone's minds, everywhere, would have also been destroyed instantaneously, no?

5: (and this one's admittedly personal taste) Thanos sheds his awesome, golden cosmic armor instead wearing.... a a blue muscle shirt? Now, I know the idea was that he no longer needed that bulky armor, but lets be honest, it was way more impressive/cool/interesting wearing his classic look, than just looking like a generic muscular, bald guy.

Anyways, those are the things that come to mind, but yea, I was not impressed by the movie's plotholes and poor decisions. That said, yes, it is entertaining, with a lot of humor (admittedly I loved the Star Lord & Thor interactions). But the movie was far from perfect, and imo being vastly overrated. Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by seaturkey View Post
    (Warning Spoilers)

So, I know most people are raving about the new avengers film, but I gotta say, I was just shaking my head at the continual plotholes. I really wanted to like this movie but it just didn't make any sense. Let me count the ways...

1: Thanos humiliates Hulk.... without any structural damage to the scrapyard vessel they are fighting on? Thanos beating Hulk is fine, but he wasn't even being hit that hard, if he was he'd be flying thru walls of that ship, as Hulk & Thor did in Thor 3. *keep in mind the ship in question was from the same Thor 3 film's sakarr that Thor and Hulk fought on.
    There was no need for him to smash Hulk through the wall because he was stronger than the Hulk due to the stone and already a better, more scientific and disciplined fighter.

2: Iron man, Spider-man, and Dr. strange head to Titan. Tony & Doc are arguing whether they should go home or 'take the fight to Thanos'.... Why not do both? Why couldn't Strange make a portal once they got to Titan and summon all the avengers.... or atleast the ones they could find on short notice.
    There has been no indication that the sling-ring portals could be used over interstellar distances.

3: Iron man, Dr. Stange, Spider-man, and the GotG decide to take Thanos by 'surprise.'... And it's actually working very well! It kinda takes away from the idea of what a massive threat this guy is supposed to be for me, to be honest how easily their plan seemed to work. But then, they decide to stand by let Star Lord beat on Thanos while he's comatose. Not a hit-one 'oops' we better restrain him, no. They let Quill just pound him repeatedly, thereby accidently hitting Mantis' hand, breaking the connection holding Thanos at bay. At no point does Dr. Strange use the time gem that could fix all of this instantly, either.... And we know the rest.
    Because Strange had already examined every single possible outcome and the only one that resulted in them winning was Thanos getting the time stone. Everything they were doing was ultimately pointless.

4: Scarlet Witch destroys the mind gem to prevent Thanos from gaining all the stones, killing Vision in the process. But the infinity stones are the aspects of the universe, so if she did this, then everyone's minds, everywhere, would have also been destroyed instantaneously, no?
    No, there was never any indication that this was how the stones worked.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

4. IIRC, the stones manipulate the aspects of reality. Not the source of reality.

1) You could hear Hulk's bones crunching as Thanos hit him. By the time Thanos hoisted him over his head, Hulk was rather broken. Thanos hit hard, and he hit quickly. Thanos' attacks were precise. Hulk had no chance. That was the point of the scene. Who the **** cares about structural damage at this point?

2)Rikwriter summed it up well enough for me.

3) You missed the point of the scene.

4)Rikwriter and Man of Sin summed it well enough for me.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Nothing you listed are plotholes. Those are gripes you had with the movie. That's not what the term means.

Yea not plot holes just plot points you didnt like or made assumptions about.

Here I was ready to see some insane nitpicking. Well, I overestimated. It's not even nitpicks, it's just the things you didn't understand.

And please stop throwing the word overrated around(I used to do that a lot, and now when I look at that, I feel dumb as hell). How can something be overrated if it doesn't even have any objective measure? No two people are going to rate a movie same.

And if you're going to do that anyway, just point me to ONE MOVIE like Infinity War. ONE. You can't. Because it doesn't exist.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

it seems to be that you don't get the difference between a nitpick and a plothole.

those are not plotholes.

To be fair people are free to call films overrated just as to call films underrated. Overrated is when you think a film receives lot of praise, but you personally think it was not as good as others said. Ghostbusters, Dunkirk, Slumdog Millionaire are a couple of films which i think are overrated. After hearing that kind of praise i expected more.

I also find underrated films. Films that don't get the praise that they should get in my opinion. Captain America: First Avenger, Thor. Its alright to have unpopular opinions.

At the same time i agree with what others are saying. Plot holes according to Wikipedia is this:

In fiction, a plot hole, plothole or plot error is a gap or inconsistency in a storyline that goes against the flow of logic established by the story's plot. Such inconsistencies include such things as illogical or impossible events, and statements or events that contradict earlier events in the storyline.

Do the things listed here come within it?

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    To be fair people are free to call films overrated just as to call films underrated. Overrated is when you think a film receives lot of praise, but you personally think it was not as good as others said. Ghostbusters, Dunkirk, Slumdog Millionaire are a couple of films which i think are overrated. After hearing that kind of praise i expected more.

I also find underrated films. Films that don't get the praise that they should get in my opinion. Captain America: First Avenger, Thor. Its alright to have unpopular opinions.
    But that's the problem, isn't it? It's all subjective. One person says a movie is 8/10, other says it's 9/10. Who's overrating it and who's underrating it?

People are free to call a movie good or bad. When people say overrated/underrated, it has a the vibe of a person saying that vast majority of people are wrong.
    I'm not presenting this well at all, am I?

BANNED

What's funnier is feeling the need to post one's own thread on their "revelations", instead of just using the main spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    But that's the problem, isn't it? It's all subjective. One person says a movie is 8/10, other says it's 9/10. Who's overrating it and who's underrating it?

People are free to call a movie good or bad. When people say overrated/underrated, it has a the vibe of a person saying that vast majority of people are wrong.
    I'm not presenting this well at all, am I?
    No, its alright. It happens. When you love something and people jump in saying its not good due to 'reasons' it can be annoying. Overrated and underrated are personal opinions. As long as people understand that its a personal opinion, it is okay.

In fact, i really like differing opinions. What's the point in discussing films if we agree in everything? Plus, if we don't give people the right to call something overrated we would be a bit hypocritical if we say something is underrated.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by seaturkey View Post
    (Warning Spoilers)

Inertial dampeners

Stark's not on good terms with most of the team, remember?

He didn't use the time gem at all, which was deliberate.

Not what the mind gem does. Not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    No, its alright. It happens. When you love something and people jump in saying its not good due to 'reasons' it can be annoying. Overrated and underrated are personal opinions. As long as people understand that its a personal opinion, it is okay.

In fact, i really like differing opinions. What's the point in discussing films if we agree in everything? Plus, if we don't give people the right to call something overrated we would be a bit hypocritical if we say something is underrated.
    But I also think the same thing about underrated.

See, I have no problem people calling something bad that is generally considered good and vice versa. The problem I have is with the words overrated and underrated. I don't think they have any meaning to something like movies and TV shows, those things are already subjective. What measure are you using to call it overrated/underrated?