Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default What did Dan Slott do right?

With Slott's run coming to an end, I'm curious about thoughts on what worked in his run. It has consistently been the Marvel Universe's best-selling ongoing for the last few years. Presumably, he's doing something right.

Some of my guesses...
    - He started out strong. The first 11 issues shook up the series in a big way, with Peter getting a job at Horizon Labs, a new Hobgoblin, the death of a supporting character, Flash Thompson becoming Venom, the introduction of Massacre, the silent opening and amazing dream sequence of "No One Dies" and a follow-up to Slott's first big Spider-Man story with the Human Torch spotlight.
    - He worked with great artists. Humberto Ramos, Marcos Martin, Ryan Stegman, Stuart Immonen, Giusepe Camuncoli, and company all do impressive work.
    - Superior Spider-Man was a hell of a mega-arc.
    - He introduced new heroes with staying power: the Flash Thompson Venom, Spider-Gwen, Silk
    - He had a good mix of villains. We had big stories with A-listers like Doctor Octopus, the Roderick Kingsley Hobgoblin, Norman Osborn, the Lizard, and the Sinister Six, as well as new bad guys and obscure types. One of his best stories involved the Spider-Queen!
    - He planned for the long term. Superior Spider-Man was seeded in ASM #600 one hundred issues earlier. The Parker Industries plot lasted about fifty issues. Norman Osborn's been part of two long-term stories, with Superior Spider-Man, and the current set-up to "Go Down Swinging." This is a guy who knew he was sticking around for a while, and took advantage of it.

What are you thoughts? What did he do well, or do you think any of the things I mentioned are actually weaknesses for his run?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    - He introduced new heroes with staying power: the Flash Thompson Venom, Spider-Gwen, Silk
    Flash: Book axed/relaunched with original Venom
    Silk: Book axed
    Spider-Gwen: Selling at cancellation level.

So that's false.

- He worked with great artists. Humberto Ramos, Marcos Martin, Ryan Stegman, Stuart Immonen, Giusepe Camuncoli, and company all do impressive work.

- Superior Spider-Man was a hell of a mega-arc.

- He planned for the long term. Superior Spider-Man was seeded in ASM #600 one hundred issues earlier. The Parker Industries plot lasted about fifty issues. Norman Osborn's been part of two long-term stories, with Superior Spider-Man, and the current set-up to "Go Down Swinging." This is a guy who knew he was sticking around for a while, and took advantage of it.
    These three things are at the top of my list for what I loved about his run.

But also BONUS ROUND:

He handled controversy like a champ. In like, just about every way lol (including sheer entertainment value)

I thought it was cool Dan Slott put a lot of focus on Peter the scientist and made him come up with lots of new gadgets and suits.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post

So that's false.
    That's looking at it thru a tiny hole. Agent Venom revitalized the Venom character because it took a chance on a very different direction (big Eddie Brock fan here, too). He had a big role in a cartoon, a bunch of toys, he's been in games, he's been around. Silk's the least notable succes story here but she hung around for a while.

Awareness of Spider-Gwen has been growing in the general zeitgeist even if her book might be getting cancelled soon, this one is undeniable. I think it's very much due to Robbi Rodriguez's striking design. She's been in 2 cartoons now, getting a big role in another Marvel cartoon coming soon, she's been in multiple games, has a lot of merch of all sorts. I once went to the grocery store and saw a Spider-Gwen mug, just her by herself. If that's a failure I don't know what's a success. Heck, I think it's a safe bet to think Spider-Gwen could show up on the big screen in the animated movie from Sony later this year.
    Last edited by Spidey_62; 03-22-2018 at 03:31 PM.

iMan 42s

What I liked;
    Flash as Venom: It really worked. It was growth not only for the alien but Flash as well and is simultaneously heroic and tragic. It's a good run that spawned from Dan's efforts and I definitely appreciate it more than I do our current Edgelord and Brock.

The big time costumes: Peter should not be intelligent enough to fix a fucking cosmic cube, but I do give him props for making Peter intelligent enough to utilize his equipment and resources intelligently. A sound proof costume that has some cloaking abilities? Sure. A bulletproof armor that's lighter than last time? Go for it. Putting together a suit based on the weaknesses of the Sinister Six to fight them effectively? I'm game for it.
    The only one I'll leave out is the ANAD costume because I'm not sure what it was exactly useful for. That and the fall from orbit is such incredible bullshit that needs its own thread, and a because science episode to properly explain to the masses why that doesn't work.

Doctor Octopus: I genuinely like his Doctor Octopus. I figure it's because he couldn't use other villains but props to Dan. I really liked it and if anything Dan should push for a Doctor Octopus comic, and I mean besides Superior Spider-man.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

I thought he didn't create Spider-Gwen... And while he did create Silk, she was pretty awful under him.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post

So that's false.
    Didn't Flash get worse sells once he went to space? I also wouldn't say Eddie becoming Venom again is such a good thing since his character development went to hell for the sake of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    I thought he didn't create Spider-Gwen... And while he did create Silk, she was pretty awful under him.
    Technically Dan Slott came up with the idea for having a Spider-Gwen in Spider-Verse but as far as I remember reading it, Jason Latour and Robbi Rodriguez came up with a really different fleshed out idea for it that they ran with and he accepted it with open arms.

The long form story of Big Time, culminating in Superior, is pretty damn excellent all the way through.

-Pav, who knows it helps to have good art too...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

I actually liked the emphasis he put on Peter Parker, the Scientist. Although Parker Industries run fell flat I still felt like between both it and Peter's tenure at Horizon, he was finally living up to his potential as a genius.

Doctor Octopus definitely got a boost throughout his run. I feel like for a while Otto kind of got pidgeon hole'd as just the defacto leader of the "Sinister whatever," but I feel like Superior run really upped his place in the Spider-Mythos.

I like the growth of the "Spider-Family." Slott wasn't necessarily responsible for all them, but stuff like Miles getting the main universe, Spider-Gwen, Silk, Kaine as the Scarlet Spider. There's plenty of protential for the line going forward, they just need solid direction from the Editor and the new Creative teams.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Spider-verse was probably the most FUN major event I've read in forever.

Mighty Member

I've been thinking about this in a slightly different context, and some of this was set up during BND, but under Slott, Peter's whole life made sense as a part of the story engine. By that I mean that a classic Spider-man storytelling trope is a friend/co-worker/family member will get into danger and Peter has to rescue them - Carlie Cooper was a cop, Aunt May was working at charities in impoverished areas, Horizon/Parker Industries were raided because of their technology, etc. It all kind of hangs together pretty well - there were no contrivances where, say, Aunt May's boyfriend just happened to be at the same old folks home as the Vulture to put a loved one in danger*. Also, being a scientist meant he had the means to use his smarts (an important character trait, to be sure) to fight his nemeses in new and interesting ways. I think Slott lost the thread of this a bit around the Clone Conspiracy, but by and large, Peter's job, family, and friends all played towards the strengths of Spider-man storytelling.

*If it's not obvious, I'm reading the SM by Stern omnibus right now

Things I liked about Slott's run:

Agent Venom: It's been said but it is true that it revitalized both Flash and Venom culminating in taking both in a direction they would have never gone in without.

Big Time: Arguably some of the highest highs for Peter in quite a while. It was a status that put him in his dream job and allowed him to truly put his genius on display both as Peter Parker and Spider-Man

Spider-Island: Probably one of the best stories that we got from Slott's run really showing how even in a city given spider powers why Peter is the true Spider-Man. Plus it set the stage for Kaine's to become the hero that he is today.

Ben Reilly: While his portrayal was definitely shaky, after 20 years of Ben being dead and teases of him, Slott brought him back and while PAD took care of his development, it all started there.

Superior Octopus: While I wasn't a fan of Superior, bringing back Doc Ock in this kind of way put a new spin on his character that will truly make him an interesting read in the future.

Silk: I loved reading her adventures that spun out of Original Sin and Spider-Verse and it's great to see that she has staying power to the point that even without her solo she's still appearing in other books.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

He introduced Renew Your Vows probably one of the last good things he did.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    He introduced Renew Your Vows probably one of the last good things he did.
    I agree with this.
    I feel the same way.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Superior is at the top of my list - that was the arc that was waiting for me when I came back to comics (and Spidey) after a 20 year break. A wild unpredictable ride - he made Otto Octavius of all characters a compelling, funny (?!?!), warped hero that I loved rooting for and was genuinely disappointed to see go.

I'd also add the way that he treats fans in person. If you ever get a chance to meet him at a signing, do so. He is one of the most sincere and engaging creators that I've gotten to talk to - he makes it a point to connect with everyone in a genuine way instead of rushing you through. The last time I'd gone to a signing, the store owner had to ask *him* to keep the line moving! :-)
    Co-host of Ultimate Spin - the Spider-Fan podcast for Miles Morales and Spider-Gwen!
    And check out our in-depth podcast interviews with their creators!