View Poll Results: Which of these most recent phases is your favorite?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • NOW!: 2012-15

66 62.26%
  • All-New, All-Different: 2015-17

4 3.77%
  • ResurrXion: 2017-present

36 33.96%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Since 2012, which period have you enjoyed most, NOW!, ANAD, or ResurrXion?

NOW!: Bendis Era & the O5 Arrival/Revival, 2012-2015

All-New, All-Different: Post Secret Wars & IvX, 2015-2017

ResurrXion: Rebirth & Rise of the "Color Guard", 2017-present

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

If I could choose none of the above, I would but I will say I'm reading more now than I had been in the past two "eras" or should I say, marketing strategies... Kitty looks so unappealing in that last picture.

Update: The crappy Bendis-era picture threw me off.. I think I'd go with that due to several books I read being around during that time;
    Gambit
    X-Men Legacy (Si Spurrier)
    Uncanny X-Force (2012, Remender)
    Cable and X-Force
    All New X-Factor

And I was reading Bendis' Uncanny X-Men and All New X-Men, until I got annoyed by both about 8-9 issues in.
    Last edited by donpricetag; 05-06-2018 at 07:58 AM.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Are you asking us to pick our poison? Cause the outcome is the same. Quality wise still poor overall. I second none of the above

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Are you asking us to pick our poison?...
    Seems apt, if that's your POV.

Bendis' Uncanny was pretty pointless but unoffensive. Didn't read All New X-Men and most of the side books from that era.

Bunn's Uncanny had some good ideas but they were all cut short by crossovers and the like in the end so... And I stayed away from the "Cyclops = Hitler" books.

Maybe Ressurexion because at least I enjoyed some side books like Iceman, Gen X, ANW? lol

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Speaking for my top 3 favs. Sabretooth & Monet were doing great in All-New All Different, because I think Bunn was gonna work wonders for them. But his work was constantly tampered with due to all the crossovers. Deadpool was doing his best in NOW . Duggan took over, erased Waypool from existence, and really changed his character. Even Shiklah was tolerable those years.

Plus, I loved Duggan's Uncanny Avengers run in ANAD
    But ResurrXion is where every last one of my favorites fell off. Monet & Deadpool may be fine now. But Sabretooth still hasn't stopped falling, and my interest in UA went down once Zub started.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 05-06-2018 at 07:25 AM.

BANNED

I considered that ResurrXion might win by default, or being the lesser of 3 evils, as it were.

Liu's Astonishing Run was during the Now! era, so I went with that.

BANNED

Now! and it’s not even close.

Each era only had one team worth reading for me: Bendis' Uncanny, Bunn's Uncanny, X-Men Red. I voted for NOW! because I liked the overall direction the books were in at that time (when it seemed like the O5 being back was going to be temporary.)

Amazing Member

NOW! Definitely. At least it had Rick Remender's Uncanny Avengers. (Until Marvel was like "hey all that stuff you did, destroy it all with AXIS because f*** you")

X-Men: Legacy, Magneto, Amazing X-Men, X-Force, Cable and X-Force, Bendis run (with the exception of Last Will&Testament, and the latter half of All New), the all female X-Men line-up, Gambit and All-New X-Factor wins out. Easily. I feel like people forget just how good the whole status quo was.

I'm a big fan of what ResurreXion's been doing, it's had a few minor slip-ups but nothing to wholly detract from the experience (although some characters have been really mistreated). It also gave us the best X-Kids book since KYost, one of my all-time favourite X-Men minis in Rogue & Gambit and a lot of good stuff in Blue. The problem, with both ResurreXion and Blue in particular, is it is still defined by the mistakes that went before it. The O5 who have outlived their purpose, the inversions, villainising Emma, villainising Monet (though I'd argue this one went relatively decently), the death of Wolverine/retaining of OML and such. The biggest struggle, I think, is ANAD defined its "what Cyclops did" mystery with a lack of notable mutants- so a lot ended up presumed dead until DoX revealed nothing really notable happened. We had this big war happen off-screen and suddenly when the X-Books started up half of everyone's favourite characters had just disappeared. When it turned out this was just bc of writer/editorial incompetence though, things started to just feel off. Now ResurreXion has this obligation to revisit so many characters, who were once on team line-ups, but simply doesn't have the page space to explain their absence. I remember looking at the ANXM birthday party sequence as confirmation of certain X-Kids survival, but they all survived- they had just been shafted (again) and imo this hurt the launch of Generation X.

ANAD was definitely the worst. There were some gems (Sorrentino OML, All New Wolverine and Bunncanny- even Death of X is enjoyable, in isolation), but this is where all the problems started to hit. OML joined one of the worst flagship books since Austen, the O5s redundancy really started to set in and weirder, more unique titles forewent in favour of a more compact, yet somehow less focused, line. The 6 month time-skip was a massive mistake, exacerbated by the incompetence of Lemire and Soule- who I believe are considered to be pretty good writers usually. It all culminating in the travesty that was IvX really sums it up. Despite some of my gripes with ResurreXion, I'm just grateful at how quickly that relaunch has managed to get us away from the Extraordinary status quo. Kitty in space, the school in Limbo, Storm as an incompetent saviour of mutantkind, Kurt as an insulting parody of mental illness, Apocalypse as a goofy, comic con fanatic, the transformation of Glob into Rockslide, just to jettison Rockslide, Magik as a mess of continuity (and without bangs? no thx) and, of course, Cyclops as Hitler.

ANAD was one of the worst times to ever be an X-Fan, in my honest opinion.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

NOW!: 2012-15

I started reading X-men in this period. The concept of the teen O5 was still fresh and introduced teen Jean (which i love and made me stick with the books). Bendis Uncanny was a bit pointless but i enjoyed his Cyclops.

I'm enjoying some things about resurrection but so many copies, time displaced and alternative reality people are starting to tire me.
    Last edited by phoenixzero23; 05-06-2018 at 08:01 AM.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I didn't love any of those eras. I felt the X-Men lost a lot of their lustre after Avengers vs X-Men ended and also when Nick Lowe left as X-editor, as the X-Men books seem to have lost any sense of purpose and direction after that.

The Bendis era was mildly entertaining but ultimately going nowhere. I don't hate the O5 but I always struggled to care about those characters when you know a big "reset" button will be hit sooner or later.

The ANAD years I think carried the original sin of having to lead into IvX and Jeff Lemire, an otherwise excellent writer, clearly struggled with that setup on Extraordinary. Cullen Bunn's Uncanny was very good though.

The current "colour" era has what's supposed to be the flagship title at its weakest in Gold, which I don't hate but find quite boring and uninteresting. Over in Blue the title has picked up in quality the moment the O5 were out of the picture, it'll be interesting to see what happens when they take over the book again in a few issues.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Speaking for my top 3 favs. ...
    Going by the same criteria, more or less, it comes down to this: