View Poll Results: Which of these most recent phases is your favorite?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • NOW!: 2012-15

66 62.26%
  • All-New, All-Different: 2015-17

4 3.77%
  • ResurrXion: 2017-present

36 33.96%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Interesting question. I think they're all low eras over all but certainly not the LOWEST runs of books ever (yes, I'm referring to HWSNBN in UXM.)

I'll be honest though for ANAD I only read Bunn's UXM , which I thought was fantastic and maybe the best book we've had since Mike Carey's run. I was going to drop Marvel completely after Secret Wars but who was I kidding about not reading a title of UXM, I'll read it even when it's bad. Also read the first arc of Extraordinary X-Men thanks to Kindle Unlimited. BLAH. Based on reviews and summaries nothing else piqued my interest and I got the feeling it was completely not worth reading. so while what I read, I 100% liked, it was only one book. Oh! and I did read the events: death of X and IvX...good god. DoX was decent as a stand alone but the whole concept of what Cyclops did was poorly poorly executed. IvX was a disaster.

I pretty much read all the books during Marvel Now! and while there was nothing really all that interesting, and at times boring, none of it was flat out awful. I don't like Bendis' writing, and never really have, and he did helm that era, but he has good ideas that he for the most part can't execute very well, and absolutely has a problems with endings. So while I was very interested in the first year the story just went flat...still...the none core books were good particularly Remender.

I"ve been reading most of the books during ResurrXion, and what a mixed bag it is. It started out looking pretty awesome, but the (to me) flagship book, Gold, is really bad. Blue is not awful but it's not that interesting either, mainly because the 05 and alternate universe characters (for the most part) are wearing thin on me. But the Mothervine storyline is good. Astonishing's first arc was great but the second one is falling flat. Weapon X keeps getting worse and worse and was never that great to start with. LOVED Phoenix Resurrection and am loving Red so far.

So for all that, I'd have to say my least favorite easily was ANAD despite having my favorite book of all three eras. Everything else sounded awful. One good cookie in a batch doesn't save the batch. and it's close with the other two but i think I have to give Marvel Now! the slight upper hand. While its few highs have not reached quite as high as the few highs from ResurrXion, its lows aren't going as low either. Sometimes being bland isn't such a bad thing.

ANAD was the worst. I actually really love both NOW! and ResurrXion.

NOW!:Bendis' run was really exciting. Seeing Jean again in way no one expected was pretty wild and Bendis played with interesting themes - Jean wasn't the person everyone remembered and her lack of training caused her to act unethically. It was pretty bold of Bendis to deconstruct Jean's legacy after she was basically deified after her death. Bendis made her a flawed human, but also gave her agency and undid silly things like the Emma x Jean rivalry. Bendis wrote my favourite Cyclops as well: guilty, broken, revolutionary. It was exciting to see the Uncanny squad challenge the Avengers and call them out. I liked the students Bendis created and the dynamic his two books had. I also liked Wood's X-men.

ANAD: Nothing worked very well during this period. Extraordinary was dull and had bad Ramos art. I didn't even like Uncanny that much. All New was fine I guess. Nonsense Hitler!Cyclops and the undefined 18 month period really dragged this phase down and the X-men came across as incompetent. It all felt sloppy and poorly coordinated and badly thought out. IvX was just icing on the **** cake. The only book I liked was Taylor's All New Wolverine.

ResurreXion: Gold is bad and Blue is inconsistent (it's great now, but isn't always) BUT Iceman, Jean Grey, Generation X, Phoenix Resurrection, Rogue + Gambit, Astonishing, New Mutants: Dead Souls, and Red are/were fabulous. I am deeply saddened that many have been cancelled or ended, but I am thrilled that they existed. PR and Red alone got me so excited to read comics. It's a weird phase because the flagships are barely floating, but the auxiliary titles are sailing smoothly. I don't want to vote yet until we know what the next phase is like.
    Last edited by Strong Girl Daken; 05-09-2018 at 05:03 PM.

BANNED

I'm not reading ResurrXion, except for Cable.

I read a few pages of All-New, All-Different, and I hated it so much I'm getting chills just thinking about it.

Bendis had good ideas, but he just couldn't get anywhere. Anyway, the experience made a deep and lasting impression on me. I mean, all that stuff about "everybody hates Cyclops" and blah blah blah...

I liked Cable and X-Force, X-Factor and All New X-Factor, Gambit, Cyclops (Tyke), X-Force (by Spurrier/Kim), and even All New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men. But as I said, Bendis just couldn't get anywhere.

Well, you leave me only one option, then. I'll pick the MARVEL NOW era.

BANNED

Resurrxion, and it isn't close.