Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Default Nightwing #44 preview and discussion thread (SPOILERS!)

https://www.avclub.com/a-new-creativ...nes-1825650681

Looks really good. Mooneyham seems to have a very Klaus Janson feeling to his pencils. I was excited for the Humphries run, but it seemed to get really convoluted and push things past plausibility for me in the middle, though the end was nice. I hope Percy gets a solid 3-4 arcs (a year to two), so we have another solid run. I wasn't the biggest fan of Fernandez's art, but I really enjoyed Seeley on writing, especially his consistency, and hope we get that again with this new team!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

r/lewronggeneration

Really, though. Dick is such a square.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Thanks for the preview.

Dick getting compared to a stripper .

I actually really like the art here and Dick seems to have a “Black Mirror” voice about himself and the outside world. Whether this run will be good will be left unanswered until issue comes out I have no problem keeping this artist for atleast a Year since it’s going monthly

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Dick getting compared to a stripper .
    Again!

Fun stuff. The preview looks good.
    Currently buying:
    Print: Superman, Nightwing, Super Sons, Doomsday Clock, Young Justice, Books of Magic, Batman: Creature of the Night, Ascender, Birthright, Black Hammer, . Digital: Action Comics, Batman, Detective Comics, Batman Beyond, Flash, Justice League, Titans, Teen Titans, Deathstroke, The Wild Storm, Terrifics, Naomi, The Dreaming, Star Wars, Black Science, The Magic Order, Gideon Falls, Giants, Archie, Riverdale, Maxwell's Demons.

The art is interesting, not sure if I like it or not. Need to see more. As to the writing though, can’t say I’m digging Dick talking like he 75 or something. I know it’s setting up the villain but Dicks not some old man and technology is hardly a new thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    r/lewronggeneration

Really, though. Dick is such a square.
    It's a part of Dick I haven't really seen before, so I'm very interested to see how it goes! Especially if Percy bring Tim, Steph, or Babs in as a contrast to his attitude towards technology. (Or Black Canary in to confirm it! )
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

All-New Member

I hope this isn't as bad as it seems the as the story progresses, because this preview is written very poorly.
    Dick Grayson is 22-25, there's no way on earth he doesn't 'get' technology. He was raised by Batman-who has access to the most advanced technology in the world! If the entire premise of Percy's arc is really Dick is too old-fashioned to understand the digital age, (the only age he would remember, given his age) then he has already missed the mark and we readers have some s really bad comics coming our way in the coming months.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay11 View Post
    I hope this isn't as bad as it seems the as the story progresses, because this preview is written very poorly.
    Dick Grayson is 22-25, there's no way on earth he doesn't 'get' technology. He was raised by Batman-who has access to the most advanced technology in the world! If the entire premise of Percy's arc is really Dick is too old-fashioned to understand the digital age, (the only age he would remember, given his age) then he has already missed the mark and we readers have some s really bad comics coming our way in the coming months.
    I am very curious to see how it plays out. But there are some people ten years younger than me, who grew up with tech, but didn't get swept up in it, and are kind of Luddites.

Yeah, I worry about how Dick will be shown with technology. That is my big concern for this arc. It feels like they are going to write him as being fairly technology incompetent, which makes no sense for someone that was trained by Batman in modern times and is in his early 20s. Him going "Oh no, a villain I can't punch or hit with my sticks, I'm at a complete loss at what to do." would be very disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I am very curious to see how it plays out. But there are some people ten years younger than me, who grew up with tech, but didn't get swept up in it, and are kind of Luddites.
    Were those people trained by Batman, actually became Batman, and infiltrated a highly technological advanced spy agency in Spyral? I don't think anyone wants him to be some tech genius like Tim or Babs, but I don't think he should be at a complete loss when it comes to tech or tech based villains. I know in Higgins' run he wrote him as not understand computer coding is, which was dumb.

I think Dick should probably be moderately proficient with technology, but the sense I'm getting from the preview is that he prefers more personal and face-to-face physical stuff to technology.

Even if Dick isn’t tech proficient, which honestly doesn’t make sense, he shouldn’t be talking like hes a senior citizen and going on about how technology changed from his days. He suppose to be of the young adult generation, not Alfred’s. Dick’s coming off old here, and thats not a good look for the character.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 04-30-2018 at 05:26 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jay11 View Post

He gets technology, he just just prefers social ipersonal social interation , rather then texts, snaps and tweets
    and that fits dick

This is where the whole if everyone is a geinuis then how can anyone be. Dick is well versed with technology and weapons, but coding, hacking those are skill that bruce, babs and tim have mastery in. So they are more suited then him to fight digitial crime. That does make dick dumb muscle either. Nothing wrong with have weakness and flaws. Remember that annual with superman , he was asked if he could reverse engineer a weapon and he stared at it fr a moment before admitting no. I like that he cant do everything, and has to ask for help sometimes it makes him human. Nice age update he is mid twenties so like 23-25, which mean 15 years he was kid when not everyone had a cellphone unlinke today.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Omigosh he sounds like an old man XD
    I can see this as Dick who's lived all 78 years of his publication though.