Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Well I should have explained better. Marvel should have done better writing for Portman clearly as she's a great actress and did awesome in Black Swan. I still have no idea why she'd do this film given how badly its done. She choose wisely moving to Black Swan. Its more Marvel's fault they wrote badly for Portman.
    Like most actors, she read a script and liked it, and probably liked the previous work of the director. Ex Machina was good movie, and was very well received.

An actor can't know how a film is going to turn out in the end, or how it's going to do critically or financially. To suggest that she should have known and turned down the role is absurd.

And I've only heard good things about Annihilation, FWIW

Fantastic Member Red Robe Jaldari's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
    Oklahoma City Thunder!!!

Good times were had.
    I would say they overachieved.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Wrinkle in Time isn't an original property, it's adapted from the book, which is fairly difficult to adapt

Anyway from what I've read it's chief problems seem to be spotty looking CGI, mediocre to outright bad and unlikable child acting, aiming the movie at a young audience instead of a wide audience, and some backlash over completely stripping the Christian elements from the book. Oh and going up against Black Panther while it was still dominating theaters
    I saw the trailer several times and I had to wonder if the protagonist had Aspergers because she came across as so wooden and lifeless. It's not like Daphne Keen in Logan, where even when she was silent for the first half of the film, she communicated so much with her body and eyes.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    I saw the trailer several times and I had to wonder if the protagonist had Aspergers because she came across as so wooden and lifeless. It's not like Daphne Keen in Logan, where even when she was silent for the first half of the film, she communicated so much with her body and eyes.
    when I saw the trailer I couldn't stop thinking that Chris Pine's character looked like Gary from "Team America: World Police". the resemblance is so striking that it just took me out of the story.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Like most actors, she read a script and liked it, and probably liked the previous work of the director. Ex Machina was good movie, and was very well received.

An actor can't know how a film is going to turn out in the end, or how it's going to do critically or financially. To suggest that she should have known and turned down the role is absurd.

And I've only heard good things about Annihilation, FWIW
    I know, right? critically acclaimed indie sci-fi sleeper hit... and if Portman liked the script then WHY NOT give it a try? it's not like she could know the outcome.

look at Gwyneth Paltrow - she signed up for "Iron Man" not knowing ANYTHING about the project except that she wanted to work with Favreau, Bridges, and Downey Jr. literally every person I had met who saw "Ex Machina" was excited about this film. . . . and just because it doesn't do spectacularly well at the box office doesn't mean it's a bad film.

some of my favorite films in the last few years had mediocre box-office because they were competing against pop juggernauts. "Scott Pilgrim vs the World" is a better film than "the Expendables", and "Love and Friendship" is much better than "X-Men: Apocalpyse"... but, in both cases, they were released on the same weekend as bigger films.

now, there's another option - I thought "District 9" was a really fun movie... but that director appears to have only had one solid film in him. maybe we had the same problem with the director of "Ex Machina". I won't know for sure until I see "Annihilation" later.

ah, and Ridley Scott has been churning out duds for several decades now... and it doesn't stop him from producing a pretty good movie every once in a long while.

Blade Runner was a commercial and critical bomb upon release. Influenced an entire generation.

Box office means so little in terms of art. People just need tangible parameters to measure things by.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Blade Runner was a commercial and critical bomb upon release. Influenced an entire generation.

Box office means so little in terms of art. People just need tangible parameters to measure things by.

Except I doubt people are considering Annihilation "art" as your thinking. Sometimes actors/actresses choose films they believe will be great and things happen outside that hurt it. What hurt Annihilation was the studio did not believe in the film. They didn't think it would do well internationally and let it go to netflix which didn't help it there.

As far as Blade Runner goes , the film wasn't a huge hit for sure. But it wasn't a box office bomb. It earned its budget back as The Numbers details.

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Bl...er#tab=summary
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

You just talk about things in terms of box office, and I couldn't find anything less interesting.

I've only heard about Annihilation talked about in terms of art. You are the first person I've seen talk about it in regards to box office.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

A wrinkle in Time should never have been adapted. I saw the Thug Notes summery of it and was like "Are you fuckin serious?!" lol

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    A wrinkle in Time should never have been adapted. I saw the Thug Notes summery of it and was like "Are you fuckin serious?!" lol
    Just wait until they finally follow through in trying Wheel of Time, I dread the day.(and before someone tries to dredge up that awful pilot no it's not meant to lead anywhere, its theorized that it was never meant to be shown on television in fact)

Wheel of Time is being adapted into a show, though, not a film, so it has a chance. There's far too much mythology for a film, but you could do it with a show.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I couldn't believe the way Pacific Rim 2 fell the way it did, and I loved the movie. Audiences weren't kind to the first one either as they favored Despicable Me 2 and Grown Ups 2 more of all movies which is an insult. Seems audiences were way into looking forward to the Marvel movies instead. Sad.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Wheel of Time is being adapted into a show, though, not a film, so it has a chance. There's far too much mythology for a film, but you could do it with a show.
    I really hope they do a good job on this show. Your right there is just way to much there for even a trilogy of films. If done right this could be the next Game of Thrones since there is a just such a rich mythology for them to draw on. The Aes Sedai and their Warders, the Asha'man, The Band of the Red Hand, the Black Ajah, and so many other great factions on top of the Dragon himself.

You just talk about things in terms of box office, and I couldn't find anything less interesting.

I've only heard about Annihilation talked about in terms of art. You are the first person I've seen talk about it in regards to box office.
    It may not be interesting but it is important. Films that lose money tend to do things like turn producers off of their entire genre/concept, and if you have to many too fast, they can ruin careers and even take entire studios down with them.

Astonishing Member

I tend not to think of Annihilation as a bust because IMO it's a mid-tier movie with not a big budget and without big hype or big stars(although people can argue about Portman's status). Busts to me are movies with big budgets, high expectations, or huge stars that fall flat.

FWIW I thought Annihilation was a decent movie.