Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Beyond Skyscraper failing at box office , the Rock had 2 films in the span of 6 months (Jumanji 2 and Rampage) do a combined $1.3 billion at the box office this past year. If that is box office poison I'm sure every studio wants that.
    Rampage is not a financial success. According to Deadline Hollywood it will take 2 years of home media sales and TV deals to break even. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rampag...lm)#Box_office

Jumanji 2 huge juggernaut, Rampage underperformed.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Rampage is not a financial success. According to Deadline Hollywood it will take 2 years of home media sales and TV deals to break even. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rampag...lm)#Box_office

Jumanji 2 huge juggernaut, Rampage underperformed.

According to this Warners is expecting to start turning a small profit once they start selling it to streaming .

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/04/dw...ce-1201953955/

“Rampage” should make around $90 million domestic and another $300 million or so additional overseas. Expect it to make $400 worldwide, perhaps a little more. With production and marketing costs topping $220 million, Warner Bros. will make a small profit only after the film hits streaming.
    Rampage did overall $426+ million worldwide. (It sorta beat the estimates that Indiewire gave in some ways domestically and overseas wise)
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

In the latest Box Office Bomb that took awhile to play out and a reason 20th Century Fox likely was sold ...is The Predator.

Total Film Budget : $88 million

Total Box Office : $123+ worldwide.

This Shane Black directed Predators film is the lowest drawing worldwide for the franchise . Its box office will barely make it past $50 million domestically here and the budget is a big reason its a bomb. Forbes even brought up that the budget is the highest one for a Predators film in the franchise.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#3977195641c1

If the film had cost what the others had Fox would have a decent hit film. But the budget was double and it bombed. In all Fox was able to secure a Chinese release finally to try and get the film to earn more money but many debate if it will do well there.
    The reshoots killed the film. From what I read the entire third act was reshot.

The trailers to Predator turned me off. It seemed to self-aware and fourth-wall-breaking. But also dumb. Maybe its really as good as Casa Blanca, but they really blew it on marketing imho. Such a tricky thing, that.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Nutcracker and the Four Realms is going to end up on the list. It is the lowest opening for a Disney movie in a very long time and has absolutely no positive buzz.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Nutcracker and the Four Realms is going to end up on the list. It is the lowest opening for a Disney movie in a very long time and has absolutely no positive buzz.
    It's out!?

I never really saw anybody clamoring for a Nutcracker movie ...
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    It's out!?

I never really saw anybody clamoring for a Nutcracker movie ...
    No, but it is a good idea for a family Christmas movie. I hear it looks amazing, but the rest is a hot mess with no real appeal. As they say on Broadway, you can't sing the sets.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Yeah people were stunned Disney released a Christmas movie this early. But I will wait and see what happens with international markets etc. I usually give it a month or two.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Well as an update on 2 films that have bombed ...1 was shockingly a horror film released too late. The other was a R rated crime/revenge type film that bombed. As usual I am holding off Nutcracker from Disney til its international opening is done the next few weeks. Its expected to open in China and Japan the next few weeks and those are major markets. China itself is a huge one. But its a wait and see til those are done.

Anyhow here we go...

Total Film Budget : $38 million

Total Box Office : $37+ million

This historical horror film was released in November which is never really a good sign for horror films and fare there. Overlord originally it was rumored was going to be part of the J.J Abrams "Cloverfield" universe of films. Instead it was revealed that wasn't true. The release has only done $20+ million domestically and now out of the top 10 and its unlikely to even get close to its production budget back. Its international haul is pretty limited as well.

Total Film Budget : $42+ million

Total Box Office : $38+ million (worldwide).

Widows was another R rated film released in November. This one was a crime/revenge film where the women of ex-mobsters who stole money are forced to go to war against a drug kingpin as he wants that money back. The film starred Colin Ferrell , Michelle Rodriguez and others . But its domestic take has only been $25+ million and it too has fallen to 8th this week and will likely drop out of top 10 next weekend. It also has few international markets left to open in. So its not gonna be making its budget back.

Widows was another R rated film released in November. This one was a crime/revenge film where the women of ex-mobsters who stole money are forced to go to war against a drug kingpin as he wants that money back. The film starred Colin Ferrell , Michelle Rodriguez and others . But its domestic take has only been $25+ million and it too has fallen to 8th this week and will likely drop out of top 10 next weekend. It also has few international markets left to open in. So its not gonna be making its budget back.
    That's a damn shame about Widows. You've got an extremely talented and well-rounded cast (Daniel Kaluuya! Viola Davis! Michelle Rodriguez! Jon Bernthal! Liam Neeson! ROBERT DUVALL!) and it's very well-received critically, but it's underperforming pretty badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    That's a damn shame about Widows. You've got an extremely talented and well-rounded cast (Daniel Kaluuya! Viola Davis! Michelle Rodriguez! Jon Bernthal! Liam Neeson! ROBERT DUVALL!) and it's very well-received critically, but it's underperforming pretty badly.
    Well in what is shocking is Widows may have fooled me here. In fact the film stuck around the top 10 for weeks due to a slow movie season and right now has earned $40.8 million domestically and chipped in $30+ million outside the country. While not a huge hit , the film could break even in a week production budget wise.

I waited to see how Disney's latest holiday film would do and well...folks it wasn't good. It also was joined by yet another failed big screen adaption of a classic hero as well.

Total Film Budget : $120+ Million

Total Box Office : $152+ Million

Its rare when Disney guesses wrong on a film and perhaps one of their biggest bombs since Tomorrowland (2015) was this one. An all-star cast led by Kiera Knightley , Morgan Freeman and Helen Mirren starred in this one and it crashed to Earth that 1st opening week. The only real thing to save the film would be possibly if the outside domestic box office could do big. But the film didn't do so well outside the country and has only earned $99+ million there of this total. So that should tell you how bad its done domestically.

Disney however will likely not worry much as they had 2 comic book films do over $3+ billion worldwide box office wise.

Total Film Budget : $100 million

Total Box Office : $73+ million

Hollywood has tried twice the last decade to make a Robin Hood film series work. The last one starring Russell Crow in 2010 had a $200+ million dollar budget and while earning $320+ million worldwide was considered a box office bust then. Fast forward 8 years later Jamie Foxx played in this one and it had a cheaper budget as we see. But yet will get nowhere near it worldwide. In fact its already dropped outta the top 10.

This film was from Lionsgate/Summit and they saw the movie crash and burn at opening week. One reviewer joked that the film obviously was supposed to be set in modern times and be a play on the success of Arrow . The studio obviously stepped in and made some changes to set it back in the middle ages where traditional Robin Hood films usually are.

Someone's gonna lose their job over Mortal Engines.

Maybe people thought it was a sequel to The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones and rejected it based on that?

Interestingly enough, both Mortal Engines and Mortal Instruments have a book or series called Infernal Devices as part of their respective literary universes.
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 12-17-2018 at 03:24 AM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Someone's gonna lose their job over Mortal Engines.

Maybe people thought it was a sequel to The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones and rejected it based on that?

Interestingly enough, both Mortal Engines and Mortal Instruments have a book or series called Infernal Devices as part of their respective literary universes.
    Yeah, the flick was DOA, pulling in only $7.5 million over the weekend. With Aquaman and Mary Poppins Returns on deck, Mortal Engines will disappear from multiplexes quick, fast and in a hurry.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Total Box Office : $22 million worldwide

Total Budget : $35 million

As mentioned above this was not a very good release. Based on the book "The Darkest Minds" this film arrived from the producers of Stranger Things & Arrival. The big question is why Fox would do a film that basically seems like an X-Men film that was done with a cheaper budget. To the shock of no one the film was an utter disaster at launch with $6 million opening and only doing as of this post $11 million domestically.

I usually wait til a film has opened nearly worldwide before posting but The Darkest Minds has opened in nearly every major territory and has only done $11 million outside that in those markets. It has like 5-6 minor markets left to open in and its doubtful it gets saved by the international market. One thing Disney will make sure of as a company , films like this won't be approved ...not when you already have a more popular franchise called X-Men that makes hundreds of millions of dollars.
    I am just noticing this thread

So to be clear this not a good film but part of its failure is a critics hatch job. This is just a meh/average film but every critic seem ready blast with their best Young Adult films insults and trash it based on the genre. I don't feel too sorry because this mismarketed film but anything looking close to a young adult film will get brutal harsh reviews and the film wasn't that bad just generically average. Which brings us to today and Mortal Engines which is probably feeling some of that young adult/dystopian future backlash.

But more importantly who picked the date for Mortal Engines? Who went let us put this up against Aquaman, Bumblebee, Mary Poppins and Holiday/Christmas movies. I don't think it would be successful overall with another date but no way it had chance against this competition. Stuff like this underrated art form like Venom was put on the the perfect time from release and had like two or three weeks with nothing to really compete against it. Props for Battle Angel Alita for going "nah I am going to pass on this on massacre" put me up against Happy death day 2 and bunch of comedies or kid movies.