Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Marewan is by Robert Zimekis, this is not a throw away or Oscar-bait, whatever that is. It just seems to be a missfire by an A List director.
    Or perhaps a serious case of bad timing by the studio, putting it up against Aquaman, Mary Poppins and Spider-Man. But then, if the goal was for this film to get 2019 Oscar nods, then I guess releasing it before the year ended was important.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Whatever the rationale is for releasing Marwen at this time, I'm kind of surprised at how badly it fared, considering its advertising push. Compared to other Oscar contenders of years past, I felt the advertising campaign for this movie was pretty well-covered compared to Oscar contenders of even just the past couple years -- the campaigns for Hell or High Water and Phantom Thread were pretty nil and could hardly be considered a blitz compared to this one. Then again, advertising to the public vs. campaigning towards Academy voters are two different things.

Then again, while there's been barely any time for bad word of mouth to spread, it's also been a critical disappointment across the board, too, at 27% (as of this writing) on RT.
    Last edited by Cyke; 12-26-2018 at 03:56 AM.

I suspect the new MIB will be in the 2019 version of this thread.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I am thinking Homes and Watson is going to be a dud. Nothing about it looks good from what I have seen.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I am thinking Homes and Watson is going to be a dud. Nothing about it looks good from what I have seen.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...oundup-1171653

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/holmes_and_watson_2018

Yeah, it's not looking good. The reviews are pretty harsh.

That said it only cost $42 million so it's not absurdly expensive and could potentially make it's money back when all is said and done.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    But then, if the goal was for this film to get 2019 Oscar nods, then I guess releasing it before the year ended was important.
    The mistake was giving WELCOME TO MARWEN a wide release against all those other movies. All it needs is to be shown in a few theatres to qualify for the Oscar. The Academy voters are swayed by box office numbers. If they see that a movie was a flop then they are disinclined to show it any favour.

The few friends on my Facebook feed who saw the movie instantly regretted it.

I'm not surprised. Will Ferrel hasnt been funny in years and John C Reilly isnt exactly hilarious. Adding in that we've had alot of Holmes material recently and that this uses some of the most bargain basement common denominator humour in a long while.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    I'm not surprised. Will Ferrel hasnt been funny in years and John C Reilly isnt exactly hilarious. Adding in that we've had alot of Holmes material recently and that this uses some of the most bargain basement common denominator humour in a long while.
    Yeah, coming on the heels of Sherlock (BBC) and Elementary (U.S.), this film seemed unnecessary. Speaking of which, I think I read somewhere that a third big screen pairing of Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law as Holmes and Watson is on the drawing board.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Yeah, coming on the heels of Sherlock (BBC) and Elementary (U.S.), this film seemed unnecessary. Speaking of which, I think I read somewhere that a third big screen pairing of Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law as Holmes and Watson is on the drawing board.
    A farcical take on Holmes and Watson after Without A Clut seems kind of doomed to me, especially with an actor with no more talent than Farrel, but your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    A farcical take on Holmes and Watson after Without A Clut seems kind of doomed to me, especially with an actor with no more talent than Farrel, but your mileage may vary.
    That as well. Comparing Michael Caine to Will ferrel just feels unfair.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    The few friends on my Facebook feed who saw the movie instantly regretted it.
    It was a terrible, unfunny movie. I have no idea why anyone thought this should be made.

I am thinking Homes and Watson is going to be a dud.
    This might be the biggest understatement of 2018.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

According to a Deadline Hollywood article , Sony tried selling Holmes & Watson to netflix before the release due to how bad the film was doing in test screenings. The film was pushed back 3 times ...it was supposed to come out in August , then November and finally to December.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    According to a Deadline Hollywood article , Sony tried selling Holmes & Watson to netflix before the release due to how bad the film was doing in test screenings. The film was pushed back 3 times ...it was supposed to come out in August , then November and finally to December.
    That's really interesting. It makes me respect Netflix that they don't want Hollywood to think that Netflix can be turned into Hollywood's dumping ground.

It's nice that Netflix has pride in its brand and doesn't want to be seen as the modern version of "Direct-to-Video."