Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    It was a terrible, unfunny movie. I have no idea why anyone thought this should be made.
    Sony probably thought Ferrell and Reilly could successfully recreate the comedic magic that made Talledega Nights so popular, but they guessed VERY wrong. Meanwhile, a pen pal went to see H & W last night and told me by email this morning that it was so bad, he walked out halfway through and was pissed over the money he wasted.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    That's really interesting. It makes me respect Netflix that they don't want Hollywood to think that Netflix can be turned into Hollywood's dumping ground.

It's nice that Netflix has pride in its brand and doesn't want to be seen as the modern version of "Direct-to-Video."
    Nah, the price just wasn't right.

Netflix has no problem taking **** films if the price is right to justify it.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Sony probably thought Ferrell and Reilly could successfully recreate the comedic magic that made Talledega Nights so popular, but they guessed VERY wrong. Meanwhile, a pen pal went to see H & W last night and told me by email this morning that it was so bad, he walked out halfway through and was pissed over the money he wasted.
    I spent the back half of the movie contemplating what blackmail or money was necessary to get anyone on board for this. It might be the worst movie I’ve paid to see.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Sony likely wanted to recoup the $40+ million dollar budget the film has and Netflix would not go that far to do it. The film originally was supposed to star Ferrell as Watson and Sasha Cohen as Holmes. But he pulled out they shifted Ferrell to being Holmes and brought in Reilly.

Also Ferrell has a weird film deal. For every hit film he usually follows it up with a box office bomb. Like he came off "Get Hard: which did millions at box office as a hit . then he did The House which under-performed and was a box office bust. Then we go to Daddy's Home 2 which did big and this one is the bust. Its a weird pattern that Ferrell has.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

The new Hellboy looks bad and it’s a shame because I though they cast a great actor. Based on what we are seeing the studio chose a poor director

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    I suspect the new MIB will be in the 2019 version of this thread.

It’s a shame because I enjoy both actors and Tessa Thompson has been amazing recently.

Weird to have Liam Neeson as MIB tho. I fear this will go the way of Independence Day two. This franchise is synonymous with Will Smith and without a nice tribute or cameo it will feel hollow
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    The new Hellboy looks bad and it’s a shame because I though they cast a great actor. Based on what we are seeing the studio chose a poor director

It’s a shame because I enjoy both actors and Tessa Thompson has been amazing recently.

Weird to have Liam Neeson as MIB tho. I fear this will go the way of Independence Day two. This franchise is synonymous with Will Smith and without a nice tribute or cameo it will feel hollow

I think Hellboy will do nothing cash wise due to poor placement (2 weeks after Shazam and before Avengers ? WTF) but will do ok critically. The trailers just bad for it is all.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Vice is basically about getting Oscar nods with it. It wouldn't shock me if they know the film won't do well and its about getting Bale an Oscar nomination.
    Yah, seems true. Someone will get an award for it probably, because Hollywood loves to make movies like that and pat themselves on the back over them. Is a nomination really in the cards for a non-serious political drama though? Just going by the trailers it seems like they aren't taking the subject matter very seriously.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Yah, seems true. Someone will get an award for it probably, because Hollywood loves to make movies like that and pat themselves on the back over them. Is a nomination really in the cards for a non-serious political drama though? Just going by the trailers it seems like they aren't taking the subject matter very seriously.
    No kidding. The trailer made Dubya (Sam Rockwell) look exactly like the blithering idiot everybody painted him out as being in real life.

Retired

Christian Bale will likely be nominated, because the Academy loves it when actors completely transform themselves. But the things Bale does to his body for the sake of his art has me concerned for his health.

I think VICE is the wrong movie at the wrong time. Ten years ago it would have been welcomed. Now it's making fun of a president who has softened in the memories of Americans--plus the Bushes just reccently lost their partiarch. If the Academy gives it too many golden statues, to middle America that will confirm all their biases against the Hollywood elites. I wonder if some folks might support THE MULE just to even the score.

I have not seen Vice and I probably won't be able to see it in time to create my Top 10 list, but from all the reviews I'm reading, I don't really think I'm interested. It seems like the general consensus is that it doesn't really have a perspective and is entirely based around Christian Bale gaining weight. I have no problem with the Oscars or at least not as much as a lot of people do, but why is this movie getting the buzz when The Death of Stalin came out this year and was an incredibly funny and well written political satire.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    I have not seen Vice and I probably won't be able to see it in time to create my Top 10 list, but from all the reviews I'm reading, I don't really think I'm interested. It seems like the general consensus is that it doesn't really have a perspective and is entirely based around Christian Bale gaining weight. I have no problem with the Oscars or at least not as much as a lot of people do, but why is this movie getting the buzz when The Death of Stalin came out this year and was an incredibly funny and well written political satire.
    The Vice trailer just seemed super tone def. Fr that reason alone I probably won't see this till a movie channel at the earliest if event that. Christian Bale looks like he really went all out tho
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    The Vice trailer just seemed super tone def. Fr that reason alone I probably won't see this till a movie channel at the earliest if event that. Christian Bale looks like he really went all out tho
    Just like Gary Oldman as Winston Churchill in Darkest Hour.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Nah, the price just wasn't right.

Netflix has no problem taking **** films if the price is right to justify it.
    They are also in a position where they no longer even have to think it over if it might not be a good deal for them.

Netflix pride? Have you seen all those Adam Sandler movies lately? Or all the really dumb sophomoric movies. Did anyone see that hotel film where the stone head employees had to save the day from terrorists? Netflix has its share of garbage movies.
    The J-man

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    That's really interesting. It makes me respect Netflix that they don't want Hollywood to think that Netflix can be turned into Hollywood's dumping ground.

It's nice that Netflix has pride in its brand and doesn't want to be seen as the modern version of "Direct-to-Video."
    The thing is you have to ask yourself is WHO is going to watch it.

Right now it's at $23 million. Could selling to Netflix get Sony at least $42 million or have enough viewings to warrant it?

I have heard folks walking out and demanding their money back with that film.

Netflix pride? Have you seen all those Adam Sandler movies lately? Or all the really dumb sophomoric movies. Did anyone see that hotel film where the stone head employees had to save the day from terrorists? Netflix has its share of garbage movies.
    Ridiculous 6 was number 1 in every territory it played in and was the most watched movie they had.
    Meyerowitz Stories got Adam a TON of praise for his acting.

Looking at those movies and aside from Ridiculous 6 (60 million), $40 million for Do-Over and assuming the rest were 40 as well that's $260 million.

Maybe Netlfix is getting back their investment. Remember they don't have to do tv ads or any real type of promotions. Also he is getting some talent in those films.

How many of those films are REALLY hurting Netflix? For some of those films Netflix is the only way some people would get to see it.