Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Christian Bale will likely be nominated, because the Academy loves it when actors completely transform themselves. But the things Bale does to his body for the sake of his art has me concerned for his health.

I think VICE is the wrong movie at the wrong time. Ten years ago it would have been welcomed. Now it's making fun of a president who has softened in the memories of Americans--plus the Bushes just reccently lost their partiarch. If the Academy gives it too many golden statues, to middle America that will confirm all their biases against the Hollywood elites. I wonder if some folks might support THE MULE just to even the score.
    given what Bale did for "the Machinist" I'm not entirely surprised. still a little bit crazy, though. but if they paid him millions of dollars I guess it's -sorta- worth it.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    I think Hellboy will do nothing cash wise due to poor placement (2 weeks after Shazam and before Avengers ? WTF) but will do ok critically. The trailers just bad for it is all.
    I was looking forward to "Hellboy" until I saw that trailer... and now I'm not sure I even want to bother watching it!

Im not spending money on Hellboy

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    The thing is you have to ask yourself is WHO is going to watch it.

Right now it's at $23 million. Could selling to Netflix get Sony at least $42 million or have enough viewings to warrant it?

I have heard folks walking out and demanding their money back with that film.

Ridiculous 6 was number 1 in every territory it played in and was the most watched movie they had.
    Meyerowitz Stories got Adam a TON of praise for his acting.

Looking at those movies and aside from Ridiculous 6 (60 million), $40 million for Do-Over and assuming the rest were 40 as well that's $260 million.

Maybe Netlfix is getting back their investment. Remember they don't have to do tv ads or any real type of promotions. Also he is getting some talent in those films.

How many of those films are REALLY hurting Netflix? For some of those films Netflix is the only way some people would get to see it.
    oh Netflix is doing well. People like Adam Sandler movies, and I bet Holmes and Watson would have done well on the streaming platform too, but those films would have bombed in Theaters. Netflix doesn't release their real streaming numbers so will never know exactly but I believe we can read a few quotes and assume they are doing well.

Netflix doesn't care about critic reviews just streaming numbers. The completely opposite of the Oscars. Netflix is all about eyeballs and box-office

Netflix does do TV ads on occasion. They did it for the Marvel shows. They've done it for a few films and other things. Largely they do digital ads, TV ads are pretty rare for Netflix
    The J-man

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

To be fair Netflix has pushed hard to create more original programming and movies. Its why they paid a decent price for the last Cloverfield film , why they just did Bird Box. Some things they lose on , some they don't. But they likely saw that Disney and others were gonna start a move to take programming to their own streaming services. So they have done this. The price tag on Holmes and Watson was likely something netflix didn't wanna do. Also given how bad the reports were the film was and its delays.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    QUICK TAKES -

Early Man & Hurricane Heist came about before i started this list in the spring of the year.

You can debate the Death Wish film which while it sucked , it made its Production budget back. Not a huge hit , but the film did make its production budget back.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    QUICK TAKES -

Early Man & Hurricane Heist came about before i started this list in the spring of the year.

You can debate the Death Wish film which while it sucked , it made its Production budget back. Not a huge hit , but the film did make its production budget back.
    Making it's production budget back isn't enough to make it not a flop. It didn't make back it's marketing budget therefore it's a loss.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Just like Gary Oldman as Winston Churchill in Darkest Hour.

Holy crap, did Oldman really gain all that weight for the role? Thats just not a good thing to do at his age
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Making it's production budget back isn't enough to make it not a flop. It didn't make back it's marketing budget therefore it's a loss.
    A number of films only do their production budget back as we have seen. They don't really get called box office flops. And given the lack of budget for this Bruce Willis film , I doubt the studio was expecting a huge return from it. (the film only had a $30 million budget). I am not a fan of the film at all since it really was like some standard revenge film. (overseas according to the Numbers the film did $14+ million and did over $7 million on home video sales).

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/De...8)#tab=summary

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    A number of films only do their production budget back as we have seen. They don't really get called box office flops. And given the lack of budget for this Bruce Willis film , I doubt the studio was expecting a huge return from it. (the film only had a $30 million budget). I am not a fan of the film at all since it really was like some standard revenge film. (overseas according to the Numbers the film did $14+ million and did over $7 million on home video sales).

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/De...8)#tab=summary
    The production budget isn't the only money that gets spend on a film. Trailers, TV ads, etc that cost money too.

The production budget isn't the only money that gets spend on a film. Trailers, TV ads, etc that cost money too.
    Given the lack of budget for the film and push for it...i doubt much was put into it. Its what they joked about with Disney's box office bomb Nutcracker (which did way below its production budget). There wasn't a big promotional push it seems for that one. (which was wise given how bad it did)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Holy crap, did Oldman really gain all that weight for the role? Thats just not a good thing to do at his age
    Of course he didn't, it's 14 lbs of fat suit and prosthetics

Retired

Saw GREEN BOOK the other day and Viggo Mortensen looks like he packed on a few pounds to play Tony Lip. Maybe not as much as Bale for Cheney. But if you win Oscars for eating, then Viggo should win. He impressed me.

This is the last movie busts of 2018. Time to run it down....

Total Film Budget : $100 million

Total Box Office : $69 million (worldwide).

Mortal Engines was based off the books and was released by Universal. The film came out on the bloodbath of films that hit all within a week (Mary Poppins Returns , Bumblebee and Aquaman). One film had to fail and it was Mortal Engines. The film as of right now has only done $15 million domestically and its combined box office is $69 million.

Total Film Budget : $42 million

Total Box Office : $36 million (Worldwide)

What is amazing is this film somehow earned $29+ million domestically. But as it stands right now this release by Sony was a film marred by terrible test screenings and Sony got scared. Originally planned for an August release ; Sony pushed it back to November and then December finally. This is after they tried selling it to Netflix. The film was so bad it had a 0% on Rotten Tomatoes for awhile before finally climbing up some.

Holmes & Watson was part of the Christmas bloodbath of films that arrived within a week of each other . Like Mortal Engines it bombed.

Super, are going to create a new thread for 2019?