Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Arm chairing Annihilation into the "busts" category comes across as disingenuous. Pretty much everything outside of the top 10 money films will be a bust this year.

A Rated-R thinking sci-fi art film is not going to do blockbuster money. The fact it broke even without the rights money being counted into that total and the fact the studio sabotage it ... come on.

It got great reviews and has a nice "cult" status.

A bust or bomb would be not only losing money, but getting shredded in reviews. Like Justice League or BvS.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Arm chairing Annihilation into the "busts" category comes across as disingenuous. Pretty much everything outside of the top 10 money films will be a bust this year.

A Rated-R thinking sci-fi art film is not going to do blockbuster money. The fact it broke even without the rights money being counted into that total and the fact the studio sabotage it ... come on.

It got great reviews and has a nice "cult" status.

A bust or bomb would be not only losing money, but getting shredded in reviews. Like Justice League or BvS.

Films with great reviews can be box office busts , no matter the "cult" status etc. Just because folks view it as high art doesn't mean it didn't become a box office bust here. And its more a fault of Paramount who decided that it had a limited international release and had it placed on Netflix there which hurt its international box office . (It did like $10 million internationally , no idea how well it could have done really had they not did netflix).

Want a list of films that critics and fans have made classics that bombed ?

Big Trouble in Little China
    Adventures of Baron Manchausen

In both cases , both films were critical and fan beloved. As well as becoming cult classics. And yet both were box office bombs at the time. So yes good reviewed films can be busts.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Both Blade Runner films are critical darlings that bombed in the box office.

Its been a few weeks and a few other bombs have landed. One nearly didn't get released because its studio got taken over by lenders .

[IMG]https://encrypted-tbn0.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSeJcmnOrzQiqH5XBBxYnYS6NRtLAbP4 qdFy3QWeSVKvOXumC45[/IMG]

A.X.L

Total Film Budget : $10 million

Total Worldwide Box Office : $5.9+ million

How bad was A.X.L's performance ? Well when you google the name it comically shows Axl Rose. But the film was a sci-fi film about a robotic dog created by the US Government that bonds with a young man. The studio "Global Road Entertainment" was taken over by its lenders right in August due to issues. The studio a couple days ago filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy.

But the film bombed badly and nearly didn't get released due to this.

KIN

Total Film Budget : $30 million

Total Box Office : $6.3+ million

KIN judging from this trailer was about a young man who finds an alien weapon and bonds with his brother on a road trip adventure. The film stars Dennis Quaid & James Franco. Yet bombed. Lionsgate was very excited for this film and paid $30 million for this film at the Toronto Film Festival.

Total Film Budget : $40 million

Total Box Office : $19.2+ million

This film will be more known for the fact that Jim Henson's son did this one and it was a R rated take on puppets as a comedy. It also made Disney step in and demand that changes be made to the advertisements of "No Sesame , All Street" weeks before the release. The movie did a respectable $19+ million for half starring puppets in main roles but when you see the budget , its not good.

This has been a unique year by McCarthy who has rebounded from the Ghostbusters bomb by having "Life of the Party" do decent (it did over $65+ million on a $30 million budget , $50+ million was domestic) while this one bombed.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Films with great reviews can be box office busts , no matter the "cult" status etc. Just because folks view it as high art doesn't mean it didn't become a box office bust here. And its more a fault of Paramount who decided that it had a limited international release and had it placed on Netflix there which hurt its international box office . (It did like $10 million internationally , no idea how well it could have done really had they not did netflix).

Want a list of films that critics and fans have made classics that bombed ?

Big Trouble in Little China
    Adventures of Baron Manchausen

In both cases , both films were critical and fan beloved. As well as becoming cult classics. And yet both were box office bombs at the time. So yes good reviewed films can be busts.
    Wasn't the point of putting on Netflix was to make a guaranteed profit because they didn't trust the public to get the film after the director rightfully refused to alter/dumb down the film?

Astonishing Member

Compared to last year, the busts this year seem tame. The Mummy, Alien Covenant, Transformers the Last Knight, The Great Wall, Pirates of the Caribbean, Blade Runner 2049, wow there were so many stinkers compared to this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Compared to last year, the busts this year seem tame. The Mummy, Alien Covenant, Transformers the Last Knight, The Great Wall, Pirates of the Caribbean, Blade Runner 2049, wow there were so many stinkers compared to this year.
    To run this down ....

The Mummy , The Great Wall , Alien Covenant , and Blade Runner 2049 were box office bombs for sure .

Pirates of Caribbean last year didn't do as well in America. Likely due to the fact its the 5th film in the series and time seems to be passing it by (the last Pirates film was from 2011 , a 6 year wait). Also the fact Johnny Depp was facing spousal abuse allegations and Disney took some flack for this.

But outside the country , Pirates did over $600+ million dollars and worldwide as a whole the film made $794+ million as a total. Its the lowest drawing one since the 1st film. (The last 3 did between $900+ million to $1+ billion worldwide.

Transformers while not a box office bust (it did better outside domestically like Pirates did) its made Paramount decide on a reboot of the franchise now as they plan with Bumblebee this winter. The film did the lowest of all the Transformers flicks and a sign people likely are tired of Bay's version of them. (The previous 3 films did like $1.1+ billion worldwide , the last one worldwide did $600+ million) .

Astonishing Member

No one mentioned Solo: A Star Wars Story?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solo:_...ory#Box_office

In the latest Box Office Bomb that took awhile to play out and a reason 20th Century Fox likely was sold ...is The Predator.

Total Film Budget : $88 million

Total Box Office : $123+ worldwide.

This Shane Black directed Predators film is the lowest drawing worldwide for the franchise . Its box office will barely make it past $50 million domestically here and the budget is a big reason its a bomb. Forbes even brought up that the budget is the highest one for a Predators film in the franchise.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#3977195641c1

If the film had cost what the others had Fox would have a decent hit film. But the budget was double and it bombed. In all Fox was able to secure a Chinese release finally to try and get the film to earn more money but many debate if it will do well there.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Kinda surprised The Happytime Murders bombed.

In the latest Box Office Bomb that took awhile to play out and a reason 20th Century Fox likely was sold ...is The Predator.

Total Film Budget : $88 million

Total Box Office : $123+ worldwide.

This Shane Black directed Predators film is the lowest drawing worldwide for the franchise . Its box office will barely make it past $50 million domestically here and the budget is a big reason its a bomb. Forbes even brought up that the budget is the highest one for a Predators film in the franchise.

If the film had cost what the others had Fox would have a decent hit film. But the budget was double and it bombed. In all Fox was able to secure a Chinese release finally to try and get the film to earn more money but many debate if it will do well there.
    I didn't "get" this movie. Was it trying to be a comedy, buddy/action flick with sci-fi sprinkled in with Olivia Munn as the most recognizable "star". <GASP> You don't suppose Munn was there to appeal to the Chinese market do you?

I take more delight in BO-bombs than the hits at this point. Anything with "the Rock" is going to be 80% garbage IMO. I consider him BO-poison now.

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    I take more delight in BO-bombs than the hits at this point. Anything with "the Rock" is going to be 80% garbage IMO. I consider him BO-poison now.
    Beyond Skyscraper failing at box office , the Rock had 2 films in the span of 6 months (Jumanji 2 and Rampage) do a combined $1.3 billion at the box office this past year. If that is box office poison I'm sure every studio wants that.

Its been a month and what new box office bombs slipped by....

Total Film Budget : $32+ million

Total Box office : $29+ million (includes worldwide box office) .

What can be said about this thriller that starred Dakota Johnson , Jeff Bridges , Chris Hemsworth and Jon Hamm ? Well the film bombed pretty much with a wild trailer that showed a variety of scenes it seems. But the film was in major trouble when it debuted opening week at 7th place and only did $7+ million. Its US take never got better as the film only did $17+ million domestically.

[IMG]https://encrypted-tbn0.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTQ7hN6HLLhm64Ka4N0fEIzkaDHXCN94 kSjP85LGdGx1Tx9MScNXQ[/IMG]
    White Boy Rick

Total Film Budget : $29+ million

Total Box Office : $24+ million

Not many know about this Studio 8 film but it starred Matthew McConahey , Jennifer Jason Leigh and Bruce Dern. The film is based on a true story about Ricky Wershe Jr. The film was done more to draw attention to his story and what has happened to him. But as of right now the film sadly won't make its production budget back. While not a huge bomb it didn't do as well . Studio 8 is part of Sony.

Now before people mention 1st Man , The Nutcracker and others.....I usually wait a month or two to see if those films get a wider release internationally. Sometimes a film can be saved by international release. Like the film 2012 which bombed here yet made over $700+ million outside domestically. So I'll wait and see what those films do and around December update this.

Beyond Skyscraper failing at box office , the Rock had 2 films in the span of 6 months (Jumanji 2 and Rampage) do a combined $1.3 billion at the box office this past year. If that is box office poison I'm sure every studio wants that.
    Indeed. Jumanji 2 performed way better both critically and financially than even the studios predicted. It was the fourth most profitable movie of 2017 and made almost $1 billion worldwide.

Whilst I haven't seen it afaik Annihilation is fine. It was literally studio incompetence that killed it.