Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Default 2018 Box Office Busts

For every film that does huge like Jumanji : Welcome to the Jungle , there is films like Justice League that under-perform badly. In 2018 studios have seen a variety of films and sequels rise high and some fall below. Its time to examine this all folks.

Its hard to believe Natalie Portman was once in Thor and was portrayed a huge love interest for the character. That had things worked out and the film did better for her character as Jane Foster , she'd have done Infinity War and been in a huge global hit. Instead things didn't work out so well and Portman who is a great actress moved onto Black Swan and did films like that. But its this film in 2018 that comically tanked and the very studio with it Paramount seems to be responsible.

The film had a $40-55 million dollar budget and Paramount got scared the film was too much of a "thinking" film and decided to literally hurt the films overseas box office by releasing it to Netflix outside the North American market. The film would ultimately be a box office bust and only do $32 million domestically and $10+ million in some foreign markets that it got released.

Red Sparrow

Jennifer Lawrence had been on a roll film wise from the Hunger Games , X-Men and several other film projects. The roll came to a thud on Red Sparrow. The film is about the story of a Russian intelligence officer who is sent to make contact with a CIA agent in the hope of discovering the identity of a mole. The danger signs were last year when the film was pushed from a competitive time slot in November to March.

The films budget was $69 million and only did $46.6 million domestically and did $95+ internationally. But the film budget and promotion never was made back.

Disney has been on a roll with its Marvel films and thus far with Black Panther and Avengers : Infinity War have earned combined $2.4 billion in box office thus far. But creating new properties have been an issue and Disney had high hopes on the film adaption of A Wrinkle In Time. With production and advertisement the film had $250 million tied into it and would need a worldwide total of $400 million to break even . Instead the film under-performed domestically and did $95.1 million and only did $31.4 million internationally.

The first Pacific Rim was a slow gaining hit that finally got a sequel after talk of one had went for a few years. Guillermo del Toro who directed the 1st one even came back as producer for the sequel. For months a commercial ran about the graphics being used in the film as well. The film added Scott Eastwood and John Boyega as the main cast.

Then it was released and quickly bombed for Universal in quick fashion. The film has a $140-175 million dollar budget and another $140 million in promotion. Most claim that to break even the film would need $350 million worldwide. Its only done $288 million and has only done $59+ million domestically.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Its time to examine this all folks.
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Its hard to believe Natalie Portman was once in Thor and was portrayed a huge love interest for the character. That had things worked out and the film did better for her character as Jane Foster , she'd have done Infinity War and been in a huge global hit. Instead things didn't work out so well and Portman who is a great actress moved onto Black Swan and did films like that.
    For the record, Black Swan was a better film than any Marvel movie has been or will ever be. I expect she (or the studio) has no regrets at all about doing the film.

Was going to post more, but this whole thread seems incredibly petty.

I strongly disagree with that black swan was well made but really not that good and very overrated. Allso were did you get the 140 mill in Pomo from? If true that is really stupid.

Oklahoma City Thunder!!!

Good times were had.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Why?
    Because its a TV/Film board.

For the record, Black Swan was a better film than any Marvel movie has been or will ever be. I expect she (or the studio) has no regrets at all about doing the film.

Was going to post more, but this whole thread seems incredibly petty.

Well I should have explained better. Marvel should have done better writing for Portman clearly as she's a great actress and did awesome in Black Swan. I still have no idea why she'd do this film given how badly its done. She choose wisely moving to Black Swan. Its more Marvel's fault they wrote badly for Portman.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

I don't think it's fair to put Annihilation up there as it doesn't commit to the old movie business module, especially when it broke even at the box office and we don't know what they sold the Netflixs right for.

Fresh off the thrill of Black Panther, I remember going with about a dozen friends on opening night to watch A Wrinkle in Time.

We came out of it going, "eh?" and spent a good 15 minutes in the lobby in a circle, just going over complaint after complaint and ridiculing the film.

Later that night, three of us went out to a late night dinner and most of it was, "Yep, it wasn't good. Not bad, but not good." It was on the precipice of being something whimsical and mind blowing, and it really chickened out -- like it knew it was going to be sentimental goo and wanted to get to each sentimental beat as quickly as possible.

If I go to a movie I know is going to be so-so, then I expect it. Rarely do I spend money on a bad movie thanks to word of mouth and media reviews. But I'd never gone into a movie with such high hopes and such a big drop in disappointment. Word of mouth and mediocre reviews helped tank that movie.

Quote Originally Posted by jump View Post
    I don't think it's fair to put Annihilation up there as it doesn't commit to the old movie business module, especially when it broke even at the box office and we don't know what they sold the Netflixs right for.
    The film didn't break even. Films overseas get a percentage to the studio. And the overseas box office wasn't helped by this since Netflix sold the rights to netflix (which ticked off the director). It may have helped the film overseas do better had they released it fully.

Natalie Portman wasnt the problem with thor not completely. They changed so much about her character that even though she had a huge role in both Thors I never really bought it. That's the relationship that shoulda been the greatest imo. More so then Bruce/Betty Steve/Peggy etc... Thor and Jane and I never really bought it. Then Pattu Jenkins left Thor 2 and Portman made it clear she didnt wsnt be there. Natalie Portman coulda rocked that role it was a clusterfu** of bad ideas around the character

I loved Thor Ragnarok it was my favorite comic book film of 2017 now Logan was the best IMO but Ragnarok was my favorite. But Annihilation was great and a smart move for Natalie Portman it got good reviews and was only hurt by a gun shy studio who believed audiences were too dumb to get it. It was the Snowpiercer of this year in many ways a Studio sabotaging their own product because they feel it was too "smart" for the average audience.

Wasn't Justice League considered a 2017 film?

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Wasn't Justice League considered a 2017 film?
    Its basically posted as much , in 2017 for every hit film like Jumanji 2 , there was a Justice League.

Natalie Portman was wrong for Thor. You could kind of tell that it was a film she considered to be beneath her. An example of bad casting.

What made Wrinkle in Time fail where Coco succeeded (both original properties, basically)?
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Natalie Portman was wrong for Thor. You could kind of tell that it was a film she considered to be beneath her. An example of bad casting.

What made Wrinkle in Time fail where Coco succeeded (both original properties, basically)?
    For nothing else, Coco was a top-notch story that knew where it wanted to go with its surrealism. It had fantastic word of mouth and enthusiastic reviews. A Wrinkle In Time felt like it was so close to jumping over the edge of amazing visuals and concepts, only to back down off the cliff at the last second. I'm way more enthusiastic about Coco than A Wrinkle In Time.

Also, I didn't need a box of tissues at a theater for a long time until Coco came along. Right in the feels.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post

Wrinkle in Time isn't an original property, it's adapted from the book, which is fairly difficult to adapt

Anyway from what I've read it's chief problems seem to be spotty looking CGI, mediocre to outright bad and unlikable child acting, aiming the movie at a young audience instead of a wide audience, and some backlash over completely stripping the Christian elements from the book. Oh and going up against Black Panther while it was still dominating theaters