Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334 LastLast

When it comes to Slott's representation of MJ I really don't mind as much, it's just more disappointing she and more well-known characters don't appear as often anymore. Like with Slott he wants to break away from the mould of old stories that depend on the classic characters, and often it's a mixed bag most of the time.

Lively and Optimistic lone_wolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedique View Post
    I thought that was previously established during One Moment in Time. So why then tease the possibility of them getting back together during Spider-Island?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    I didn't read that story.
    In OMiT MJ's dialogue consisted of her pointing out that being Spidey's gal would always put her family in danger (Aunt Anna and Kristy were targets for example) hence she had decided that moment to leave Peter. Then SEVERAL issues later after getting over some awkwardness, they start hanging out on a regular basis and eventually getting close to intimacy (ASM #700). They eventually get interrupted and SpOCK gives this frustrated spiel that MJ is basically this plucky best pal that's giving him mixed signals. MJ responds with something like no matter what kind of crap they've gone through, she always be in love with Peter.
    Then the Superior run happens and MJ rehashes the same "I have to leave Peter because of the danger" spiel. Wash, rinse, repeat. Thought it was a weird kind of funny. Always had in my mind that it was just a red herring of sorts. I'm always of the "wait and see" stance."

--Wolfie
    Visual Development and Storyboard Portfolio
    http://www.imxprs.com/free/wolfie74/mj

"Animators are actors with pencils"
    --Glen Keane

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lone_wolf View Post
    In OMiT MJ's dialogue consisted of her pointing out that being Spidey's gal would always put her family in danger (Aunt Anna and Kristy were targets for example) hence she had decided that moment to leave Peter. Then SEVERAL issues later after getting over some awkwardness, they start hanging out on a regular basis and eventually getting close to intimacy (ASM #700). They eventually get interrupted and SpOCK gives this frustrated spiel that MJ is basically this plucky best pal that's giving him mixed signals. MJ responds with something like no matter what kind of crap they've gone through, she always be in love with Peter.
    Then the Superior run happens and MJ rehashes the same "I have to leave Peter because of the danger" spiel. Wash, rinse, repeat. Thought it was a weird kind of funny. Always had in my mind that it was just a red herring of sorts. I'm always of the "wait and see" stance."

--Wolfie
    It may come off as cynical, but I've always thought that they've kept Mary Jane around in some fashion, kept her in the pocket so to speak, if for nothing else than for the sales spike that could potentially be had from something like "Renew Your Vows".

They'll have to figure out some other reason she hangs around, if she's already acknowledged twice that life with Peter's alter ego is too dangerous.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    I'm actually proud of Mary Jane for realizing she doesn't have to deal with Peter's world if she doesn't want to. Finally took control of her life.
    She took control of her life in the build up to the marriage when she told Peter it was time to grow up and be with the person that made her happy. To choose love over fear. To be his partner and his wife.

MJ's decisions in OMIT don't even match up to what she was saying and promising Peter in the build up to Civil War, everything during it, and before OMD. Where she told him that this was their life and being his partner meant something to her.

And in OMD, she said nothing, not even God, could come between their love and they would end up together again anyway.

Post-OMD/Mephistoverse MJ turning away from those responsibilities to her partner was cowardly and not in any shape or form true to her character.

The thing is, you KNOW this won't last. Slott's already arranged it so you know MJ hasn't properly moved on from Peter (ripping off what the BBC's Sherlock did with Molly Hooper in series three...and by the way, that didn't last either) with her choice of boyfriend in both name and similar occupation, coupled with her lines that she doesn't think being with him is "all that serious"

Hell it doesn't even really last outside the 616 universe. Ultimate MJ is with the revived Ultimate Peter, MC2 MJ, who conceived and raised CHILDREN with Peter (with her child becoming Spider-Girl and Peter occasionally being Spidey again), died refusing to leave Peter's side, Daily Strip MJ is still married to Peter and always knows what she's in for with him, all while being determined to make it as an accomplished stage and screen actress even if it involves stepping into dangerous situations.

Post-OMD/Mephistoverse 616 MJ and Peter are the inferior ones in comparison to all three. All three takes on those characters made it work with each other. All three of those MJs have full control of their lives, and all three chose to live them with Peter.
    Last edited by Cameron Samurai; 01-22-2015 at 08:05 AM.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I honestly do think that perhaps some time after Secret Wars, Dan Slott should be off the book.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    I honestly do think that perhaps some time after Secret Wars, Dan Slott should be off the book.
    The reality is Dan Slott will be going nowhere unless sales tank and (or) he gets tired of writing it.That said, there are some clues that change is afoot. 1: The fact that SSM ended rather abruptly and he wrote an Electro Story to coincide with ASM 2: Dan Slott said he has an exclusive Contract with Marvel for 3 years. Do I know when that started? No but you know it is not an open ended period. 3: Gerry Conway is returning to write "Street-Level" Spider-Man Stories. We know Slott likes the Cosmic Stuff ( see Dr. Who and Silver Surfer). On a Non-ASM point it is interesting that although he created 'Silk' as a character, he is not writing the book. I think the answer to the Slott question will be answered when we learn the outcome of RYV. Does the story keep going with a married Pete and MJ, or as I have long suspected: the reboot begins after RYV, picking right up after 'Learning To Crawl'? If I am right, Slott remains, if not he goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler53 View Post
    The reality is Dan Slott will be going nowhere unless sales tank and (or) he gets tired of writing it.That said, there are some clues that change is afoot. 1: The fact that SSM ended rather abruptly and he wrote an Electro Story to coincide with ASM 2: Dan Slott said he has an exclusive Contract with Marvel for 3 years. Do I know when that started? No but you know it is not an open ended period. 3: Gerry Conway is returning to write "Street-Level" Spider-Man Stories. We know Slott likes the Cosmic Stuff ( see Dr. Who and Silver Surfer). On a Non-ASM point it is interesting that although he created 'Silk' as a character, he is not writing the book. I think the answer to the Slott question will be answered when we learn the outcome of RYV. Does the story keep going with a married Pete and MJ, or as I have long suspected: the reboot begins after RYV, picking right up after 'Learning To Crawl'? If I am right, Slott remains, if not he goes.
    Dan Slott is not a very prolific writer. Two issues a month has been his norm for the duration of his career. Conway's project is a five issue storyline, allowing Slott a chance to write Spider-Man monthly between Spider-Verse and Renew Your Vows.

While Slott likes cosmic storylines, that's not the only material in his wheelhouse. He was also a decent Batman writer.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Slott typically brings in Gage when he can't meet his bare minimum of two issues a month, but I think Gage has only been brought up the write the first issue of the current volume, most likely for one of the backups, as well as the Ms. Marvel team-up. Since Gage hasn't been helping on the main issues, Slott hasn't had help, meaning Silver Surfer has been delayed as a result. Even when I see books from, say, DC get delayed, typically an issue that misses a month is released the following month so the rest of the books can come out on schedule. With Silver Surfer, though, every issue has been delayed a month. Really, it just sounds like Spiral is taking up space so that Slott has to catch up on Silver Surfer.

Steeler, since you brought up the exclusive contract, I looked into it, and the only results I see are that he signed his contract at some point during his She-Hulk run, but that was around 2005, so either he renewed it or it just last that long. Then Google linked me to a tweet from a week ago, which I'm guessing is what you were referring to, unless I'm mistaken. If that's the case, given the context, maybe he meant that his contract has more three years left?

I like Slott's Silver Surfer run quite a bit. I enjoy it far more than his Spider-Man run these days. But it's obviously a much lower priority for Marvel. I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted Slott in tip top shape for "Renew Your Vows." (While RYV is not the main event, it might be a slightly bigger project than people are expecting.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I like Slott's Silver Surfer run quite a bit. I enjoy it far more than his Spider-Man run these days. But it's obviously a much lower priority for Marvel. I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted Slott in tip top shape for "Renew Your Vows." (While RYV is not the main event, it might be a slightly bigger project than people are expecting.)
    Silver Surfer's a title heavily reliant on the popularity of the creative team, so fans are less likely to tolerate fill-ins. There have been similar delays on Fraction's Hawkeye.

When Superior Foes had two fill-in issues, there was a lot of pushback.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Silver Surfer's a title heavily reliant on the popularity of the creative team, so fans are less likely to tolerate fill-ins. There have been similar delays on Fraction's Hawkeye.

When Superior Foes had two fill-in issues, there was a lot of pushback.
    Silver Surfer's also kind of a prestige thing. Stan Lee was very protective of the character for a long time. And I think Slott is a big fan of the Allreds.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Roxas View Post
    Slott typically brings in Gage when he can't meet his bare minimum of two issues a month, but I think Gage has only been brought up the write the first issue of the current volume, most likely for one of the backups, as well as the Ms. Marvel team-up. Since Gage hasn't been helping on the main issues, Slott hasn't had help, meaning Silver Surfer has been delayed as a result. Even when I see books from, say, DC get delayed, typically an issue that misses a month is released the following month so the rest of the books can come out on schedule. With Silver Surfer, though, every issue has been delayed a month. Really, it just sounds like Spiral is taking up space so that Slott has to catch up on Silver Surfer.

Steeler, since you brought up the exclusive contract, I looked into it, and the only results I see are that he signed his contract at some point during his She-Hulk run, but that was around 2005, so either he renewed it or it just last that long. Then Google linked me to a tweet from a week ago, which I'm guessing is what you were referring to, unless I'm mistaken. If that's the case, given the context, maybe he meant that his contract has more three years left?
    You are correct about the Tweet I do follow DS on Twitter. I really wonder how much longer HE wants to write Spider-Man ( Pete)? We saw a year of 'Superior' and even in 'Spider-Verse' Otto looks better than Pete. In fact, if you look at the WORST characterizations that DS has done the past 2 years, you can honestly say the three worst in this order are. 1:Felicia. 2: Pete. 3:MJ. I will say that 'Learning To Crawl' was well done, but it was a different Pete. Maybe the reboot is exactly what DS needs to reignite his creative juices when it comes to ASM ( Pete)? But Pete with 'Alpha', as a quitter,( against Otto) and being a horn dog with 'Sillk' makes you wonder if DS is not at least a little tired of this version of Peter Parker?

BANNED

I think it's more like it's just impossible for him to reconcile his preferred take on Peter with the knowledge that Peter has grown since what he prefers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler53 View Post
    You are correct about the Tweet I do follow DS on Twitter. I really wonder how much longer HE wants to write Spider-Man ( Pete)? We saw a year of 'Superior' and even in 'Spider-Verse' Otto looks better than Pete. In fact, if you look at the WORST characterizations that DS has done the past 2 years, you can honestly say the three worst in this order are. 1:Felicia. 2: Pete. 3:MJ. I will say that 'Learning To Crawl' was well done, but it was a different Pete. Maybe the reboot is exactly what DS needs to reignite his creative juices when it comes to ASM ( Pete)? But Pete with 'Alpha', as a quitter,( against Otto) and being a horn dog with 'Sillk' makes you wonder if DS is not at least a little tired of this version of Peter Parker?
    Given that some of that is out of context, I don't think you can honestly say that. Personally, sure. But that doesn't make it objective.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Roxas View Post
    I think it's more like it's just impossible for him to reconcile his preferred take on Peter with the knowledge that Peter has grown since what he prefers.
    I don't know if it Slott has a preferred take on Spider-Man.

There probably isn't another writer who has handled as many different versions of the character. In interviews, he has said Peter's marital status had nothing to do with his decision to accept the job writing Amazing Spider-Man. He would have gladly done the same if Spidey was married.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets