Page 25 of 34 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    We show patiences because we expect him to get back on track, because his history shows he can.
    By your logic, history has proven Micheal Bay and Justin Beiber as pioneers in their field. Neither are, and neither is Slott.
    Last edited by Cameron Samurai; 10-27-2014 at 12:01 PM.

Amazing Member

I think, in the future, Slott's years on ASM will be viewed as his own "personal version" of Peter, and you will either have liked it or not. Rather like all the different Doctors. Do you prefer Tennant over Pertwee? Eccleston over Baker? The Doctor has certain baseline qualities that recur in each incarnation, but without a doubt Baker's version was very different from Matt Smith's. I assume you could pinpoint differences between Conway, Stern, DeFalco, Micheline, and so on. So it is with Spider-Man.

I believe that I could muster evidence to prove that Slott's vision of Peter is that of an immature, impulsive twit, who involuntarily babbles, but does heroic things. I very much dislike Slott's rendition. I think Slott's version of Peter is often childishly contemptible. I think he turned the supporting cast into panto versions of themselves. I also haven't seen Slott show ability to express kindness or love through the characters. His stories are like a really loud, garish carnival, with loads of flashing colored lights, fire-crackers going "BANG!", and a grinning clown who keeps jumping out at you. But a lot of people like carnivals.
    Last edited by XMLXXs Man; 10-27-2014 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Samurai View Post
    By your logic, history has proven Micheal Bay and Justin Beiber as pioneers in their field. Neither are, and neither is Slott.
    How on earth are those two pioneers? Michael Bay made a movie when CGI became more affordable and flexible, and teen-pop stars have been around since the 70s.

I'm not saying Slott is a pioneer at anything. All I said is that you can show patience to someone who has had success in the past because there is a belief they can get back to it. There are a ton of people who like what Dan Slott has written in the past. Right now a lot of people have called out his work isn't on the level it's been on in the past, which is a disappointment for them. But they show the benefit of the doubt because they view to see the cup as half-full versus half-empty.

BANNED

Cameron's point is that Slott's work is about as good as Bay or Bieber's is, in spite of their respective amounts of success, and that success is not necessarily indicative of the quality of their work. However, I will have to say that Cameron was being very harsh to compare Slott to Bay. I would much rather sit through the Bayformer's movies than Slott's writing.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Roxas View Post
    Cameron's point is that Slott's work is about as good as Bay or Bieber's is, in spite of their respective amounts of success, and that success is not necessarily indicative of the quality of their work. However, I will have to say that Cameron was being very harsh to compare Slott to Bay. I would much rather sit through the Bayformer's movies than Slott's writing.
    I've been saying this for like six months now, but Slott is absolutely the Michael Bay of comics. In every sense of the world. Assuming his She-Hulk is as good as people say it is especially.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    I've been saying this for like six months now, but Slott is absolutely the Michael Bay of comics. In every sense of the world. Assuming his She-Hulk is as good as people say it is especially.
    Eh, it's alright if you think of it more as "Sexy Female Lawyer" and not She-Hulk.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    I don't really see the Slott/ Bay link. Slott's not really the mindless explosions type. He could be someone stylized with a weird sense of humor. I was going to suggest Wes Anderson, but there's definitely a Sam Raimi comparison, a guy with alternative sensibilities who spends several years on Spider-Man.

A Stephen Moffat comparison could also work, as they're both fans of a long-running series given the keys to it in time for the 50th Anniversary. Plus, they faced a lot more criticism once they were in charge.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Mighty Member

Is this pretty common in comics? Part of a fanbase thinks a creator is one of the best in a book's history, and another part thinks he's the most disgusting blight ever spawned from the bowels?

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    Is this pretty common in comics? Part of a fanbase thinks a creator is one of the best in a book's history, and another part thinks he's the most disgusting blight ever spawned from the bowels?
    It's common in any medium of entertainment.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I don't really see the Slott/ Bay link. Slott's not really the mindless explosions type. He could be someone stylized with a weird sense of humor. I was going to suggest Wes Anderson, but there's definitely a Sam Raimi comparison, a guy with alternative sensibilities who spends several years on Spider-Man.

A Stephen Moffat comparison could also work, as they're both fans of a long-running series given the keys to it in time for the 50th Anniversary. Plus, they faced a lot more criticism once they were in charge.
    For the Bay comparison, it's not the "mindless explosions", but rather, why Bay has those explosions. Like Slott, there's a need for "epicness" than drives the story more often than the character reasons. They care more about the idea of the stakes than what those stakes actually matter to the characters, and any emotional sentiment derived from those stakes just feel hollow.

The Moffat comparison is the most accurate, especially since his Silver Surfer book is meant to derive inspiration primarily from Doctor Who. That and Slott treats women with the same grace and care that Moffat does.

BANNED

Even Moffat does things better than Slott.

For all his flaws with paradox storytelling, and his tendency to create demi-god sues with his female characters (especially River and Clara), Moffat took good care of the 50th anniversary, crafting a triumphant tale that celebrated The Doctor's spirit and ideals while taking the time to revise history and undo a depressing event that had hung over him for many of his modern incarnations (without treading on what had come before via a slight loophole with out-of-synch memory), Slott wasted Spidey's 50th anniversary on selling us on how great Doc Ock was, how weak Peter was, and how stupid and vulnerable his supporting cast were. There was nothing triumphant about it. It was an antiverssary.
    Last edited by Cameron Samurai; 10-28-2014 at 08:41 AM.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah View Post
    Quoted for truth.

Slott wasted Spidey's 50th anniversary on selling us on how great Doc Ock was, how weak Peter was, and how stupid and vulnerable his supporting cast were. There was nothing triumphant about it. It was an antiverssary.
    Unfortunately, I have to agree with you there. His "triumphant" return in Amazing has done little to show us why Pete is better at "spidermaning" (to quote a "Cracked" video) then Ock. (Ock's only real mistake as a crime fighter was that his tech could be hacked by Norman Osborn, we were never really given a reason why Pete's methods were better when dealing with Goblins. At best, I can only surmiss that unlike Otto, Pete's hubris doesn't cause him to spend time wallowing in misery when his technology fails him???)

And there has been tooo many "epic" stories with Slott. Not every Spider-Man tale has to involve the fate of the city/ world/ multiverse. Sometimes it is just one life that needs to be saved, and that's enough to enthrall an audience for a master storyteller.

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah View Post
    Pretty much.

Although there's also more division with Marvel comics, because in order to follow the adventures of characters you like, you may put up with creative teams you don't like.

If you're not a fan of Quentin Tarantino's films, those are easier to ignore, since it's all standalone.

But it's different for a continuing series, which obviously exists in film and television as well.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Even Moffat does things better than Slott.

For all his flaws with paradox storytelling, and his tendency to create demi-god sues with his female characters (especially River and Clara), Moffat took good care of the 50th anniversary, crafting a triumphant tale that celebrated The Doctor's spirit and ideals while taking the time to revise history and undo a depressing event that had hung over him for many of his modern incarnations (without treading on what had come before via a slight loophole with out-of-synch memory), Slott wasted Spidey's 50th anniversary on selling us on how great Doc Ock was, how weak Peter was, and how stupid and vulnerable his supporting cast were. There was nothing triumphant about it. It was an antiverssary.
    Sounds awful I feel sorry for anyone spending 3.99 on such a garbage anniversary.