Page 26 of 34 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

If you don't like the stories, that's one thing. But to decide it was poorly placed because of a preconceived idea of what an anniversary (which is pretty damn arbitrary to begin with) should be like kind of blows my mind. I don't think there are any writing classes that say, "The good guy has to triumph in #700 or you're doing it wrong." What a boring, predictable world that would be.

That line of thinking also forgets Amazing #600, which is pretty much the should that you guys are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by stingnewell View Post
    I think, in the future, Slott's years on ASM will be viewed as his own "personal version" of Peter, and you will either have liked it or not.
    How does that differ from any other Spider-Man writer ever?
    Last edited by Dog; 10-28-2014 at 10:23 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    If you don't like the stories, that's one thing. But to decide it was poorly placed because of a preconceived idea of what an anniversary (which is pretty damn arbitrary to begin with) should be like kind of blows my mind. I don't think there are any writing classes that say, "The good guy has to triumph in #700 or you're doing it wrong." What a boring, predictable world that would be.

That line of thinking also forgets Amazing #600, which is pretty much the should that you guys are looking for.

Delicious.
    Well if the anniversary is just taking shots at what makes the main character and supporting cast so bad you should be asking yourself why are reading title to begin with? If you don't like the character or his world your better off reading another title or an indie title.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by stingnewell View Post
    Well if the anniversary is just taking shots at what makes the main character and supporting cast so bad you should be asking yourself why are reading title to begin with? If you don't like the character or his world your better off reading another title or an indie title.
    That's not what happened at all, although no amount of analysis will get you to accept that.

BANNED

That's not what happened at all, although no amount of analysis will get you to accept that.
    Works for me, agree to disagree than.

Nothing in the previous comments alluded to the conclusion you came up with. No one said that issue 700 had to end with a win for Spider-Man. Superior Spider-man did show us how Otto was basically better at Peter's job when it came to efficiency and getting his personal life in order (starting a successful business, developing a relationship with Anna, finding time for Aunt May) it also necessitated the severe dumbing down of Peter's supporting cast in order for Otto not to be discovered. (The only person who suspected Peter wasn't himself was Wolverine, a guest star!)

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Pretty much.

Although there's also more division with Marvel comics, because in order to follow the adventures of characters you like, you may put up with creative teams you don't like.

If you're not a fan of Quentin Tarantino's films, those are easier to ignore, since it's all standalone.

But it's different for a continuing series, which obviously exists in film and television as well.
    I've noticed that it happens in the Music Industry as well, admittedly it's a different version of loving or hating something but obviously you get fans of artists who ''love'' the recent material or ''hate'' it or love or hate the older stuff or prefer one ''era'' over another etc etc lol.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    I've noticed that it happens in the Music Industry as well, admittedly it's a different version of loving or hating something but obviously you get fans of artists who ''love'' the recent material or ''hate'' it or love or hate the older stuff or prefer one ''era'' over another etc etc lol.
    It happens when one thing means that another can't exist.

People who are passionate about the other thing can be vocal about it.

This certainly happens in music, where a singer's decision to go solo means that there won't be more albums by their band.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Nothing in the previous comments alluded to the conclusion you came up with. No one said that issue 700 had to end with a win for Spider-Man. Superior Spider-man did show us how Otto was basically better at Peter's job when it came to efficiency and getting his personal life in order (starting a successful business, developing a relationship with Anna, finding time for Aunt May) it also necessitated the severe dumbing down of Peter's supporting cast in order for Otto not to be discovered. (The only person who suspected Peter wasn't himself was Wolverine, a guest star!)
    A lot of Otto's success, on the other hand, came at the expense of Peter's relationships. And his successful business was also obtained through nefarious means.

I mean, hey, I enjoyed Superior much as the next guy, but Otto was definitely a shmuck in a lot of ways.

BANNED

What a boring, predictable world that would be
    Superior was boring and predictable

And I am no stranger to downbeat anniversary issues...Issue 400 is in itself very depressing, but at the same time, it showed Peter Parker advancing in life and letting go of a tie to the past in an emotional and evolving way, plus it showed that MJ, while vulnerable, was there for him in his darkest hours and in his moments of doubting himself.

That is what happened, and the same applies to you.
    Last edited by Cameron Samurai; 10-28-2014 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Samurai View Post
    Superior was boring and predictable

And I am no stranger to downbeat anniversary issues...Issue 400 is in itself very depressing, but at the same time, it showed Peter Parker advancing in life and letting go of a tie to the past in an emotional and evolving way, plus it showed that MJ, while vulnerable, was there for him in his darkest hours.
    In your highly speculative opinion kid.

;-)

And man you like to copy and paste your responses dontcha now.

Amazing Member

I dislike Slott's negativity. He presents himself as Cheerful Mega-Fan, but then he says repeatedly how he relishes upsetting people, piles on the deaths (Ashley Kafka, the Amazing Friends, Marla Jameson, and MC2 Peter Parker being four examples) while rubbing his hands in glee. From what I have read of his in ASM, his cynical outlook, and instinct to mock, overshadows what little optimism or congenial affection creeps in. Just too hostile for my tastes.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XMLXXs Man View Post
    I dislike Slott's negativity. He presents himself as Cheerful Mega-Fan, but then he says repeatedly how he relishes upsetting people, piles on the deaths (Ashley Kafka, the Amazing Friends, Marla Jameson, and MC2 Peter Parker being four examples) while rubbing his hands in glee. From what I have read of his in ASM, his cynical outlook, and instinct to mock, overshadows what little optimism or congenial affection creeps in. Just too hostile for my tastes.
    He simply follows the old saying, "I'll really give ya something to cry about."

But in person, he's supposed to be pretty cool, like when he chatted with the fan mad about OMD. I assume he just doesn't take angry online rants very seriously.

Amazing Member

What a stupid saying.

BANNED

Everyone's a critic.

I don't mind Slott staying as long as he has ideas. I have enjoyed most of his stories. What I would like is a second book to focus on Peter and his cast that can be more personal,like Spectacular or Web Of