Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Nope, not buying it. Peter wasn't just acting like a "dark and brooding" guy, he was acting like a ego maniacal supervillian. More than that, he was talking like ONLY Doc Ock talks. So no, I'm not buying that NO ONE, except freaking Carlie Cooper, picked up on this. The fact that Slott had to resort to such blatant plot contrivances just to keep Spock from being found out in like five minutes shows that he didn't fully think things through. It was an interesting idea, but with some really sloppy execution, which tends to be a thing with Slott's work.
    Definitely something to get dramatically mad over.

But no, despite the occasional Otto-like line, which even Daredevil thought was a joke, he still sounded like Peter and at the end of the day didn't try to take over the world like Otto normally would. And Carlie knew because Peter said something while trapped in Otto's body but she didn't believe him at first so please spare us the "Why did Carlie know?!" complaint, as if she's not allowed to participate as a character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marty McFlay View Post
    Carlie wasn't the only one who picked up on it. Just about everyone in the book noticed that there was something different about Peter/Spider-Man. That was one of the main plot points.
    Pretty much. But it's not like you can just jump on the guy for acting different when in the past he's acted different and it wasn't because he'd been replaced by a egomaniacal supervillain not trying to be a supervillain.

Fantastic Member

It's a big jump from 'Huh, he's acting weird recently...' to 'A super-villain must have taken over his mind! OF COURSE!'

Virtually everybody spotted that he was acting differently but Otto was at least initially able to fob them off, and still ended up kicked to the Avengers B-team due to his behaviour. Daredevil under Waid went a practical U-turn personality wise, and without any villain doing anything to his head at all, and it was spotted by his friends, including Pete. Symbiote Suited Spidey was pretty dark but got over it, most assumed he was going through a phase then and again once Otto took over.

BANNED

Carlie wasn't the only one who picked up on it. Just about everyone in the book noticed that there was something different about Peter/Spider-Man. That was one of the main plot points.
    Except Carlie was the only one who had a way to follow through on her suspicions. As far as everyone was concerned, Peter had just suddenly started becoming a jerk. Even the Avengers just gave Peter a slap on the wrist until Darkest Hours happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    That would be around to 6 years.
    Chris Claremont and Peter David were on UXM and Hulk for far to long.
    I just want to point out that one of the reasons why Slott has a comparable run to David on Hulk or Claremont on X-Men is because the Spidey book has been double or triple shipping during Slott's run.

So not counting tie-in comics (although given its importance, you'd have to note "Future Imperfect 1 & 2" in any David Hulk discussion), David wrote 331-467 (minus the occasional issue here and there. But he did write #328, the -1 issue, and Annuals 16-20). And then years later he came back and wrote #77-87. (And then some other one-shots or minis here and there.)

Claremont on X-Men is... still quite a bit longer. #94-279. Then 381-389. Then 444-473. And this is just Uncanny.

For comparison's sake, Slott has written 546-548, 559-561, 564, 568-573, 581-582, 590-591, 600, 618-621, has a credit in 647. 648 is where he became the sole writer. (Minus the occasional issue where he didn't write it or had a co-writer). 648-700. Superior 1-31. And now Amazing again. Plus the occasional mini.

(Maybe it's a sign of our attention spans these days that looking at a run of a comparable length gets called "too long.")

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Haddock View Post
    Symbiote Suited Spidey was pretty dark but got over it, most assumed he was going through a phase then and again once Otto took over.
    Everyone seems to forget about the Symbiote suit when complaining about the way that Spock acted.

Your point about DD is spot-on. Maybe it's because people like Waid better as a writer that he gets a pass for trying something different, but Slott needs to be gone like yesterday.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SpOck View Post
    He's one of my favorite Spider-Man writers, behind Stan Lee and Roger Stern, so I want him to write Spider-Man as long as he still has ideas, and it looks like he has plenty of those.
    I'm with SpOck on Slott, Stern and Stan. that said, I do think the relaunch of ASM has been disappointing and even a bit frustrating (Learning to Crawl has been a bit painful) because it's not up to what I've come to expect from Slott. Still I have faith it's just a bump in the road and may even be because he' setting the groundwork for some really great stuff. Every story can't be "Big time". We'll see where Spiderverse goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey5640 View Post
    I'm with SpOck on Slott, Stern and Stan. that said, I do think the relaunch of ASM has been disappointing and even a bit frustrating (Learning to Crawl has been a bit painful) because it's not up to what I've come to expect from Slott. Still I have faith it's just a bump in the road and may even be because he' setting the groundwork for some really great stuff. Every story can't be "Big time". We'll see where Spiderverse goes.
    I agree. It hasn't been great lately, but I think that's going to change with Spider-Verse, which I realize will be the first Marvel event I've picked up since Fear Itself (ugh).
    Formerly Doctor Malekith.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Roxas View Post
    Except Carlie was the only one who had a way to follow through on her suspicions. As far as everyone was concerned, Peter had just suddenly started becoming a jerk. Even the Avengers just gave Peter a slap on the wrist until Darkest Hours happened.
    That's because Peter told Carlie what had happened. It made sense to me. She suspected that Peter was really Doc Ock because she was the only one who knew about it. No one else suspected that Peter was Doc Ock because no one else knew. They knew that he wasn't acting like himself and acted accordingly, but why would they guess that a villain had taken over his body?

Extraordinary Member

What was the longest Post-Lee Run on Amazing Spider Man anyway?

I suspect it's Tom Defalco but I'm not sure.

At any rate, if Slott wants to break the record, he certainly should do it.

I think that Peter was displaying such odd behaviour should have set off some alarms in everyone else's heads given the number of times he has been possessed or impersonated in the past. Hell, remember that time when MJ was able to tell that Kraven was the one under Peter's suit that one time. Or when she deduced it was the Chameleon.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    What was the longest Post-Lee Run on Amazing Spider Man anyway?

I suspect it's Tom Defalco but I'm not sure.

At any rate, if Slott wants to break the record, he certainly should do it.
    The longest is Stan Lee, which was for 10 years with the last year having fill-in guys like Thomas and Conway.

Right after that is David Michelinie who wrote from 1987 to 1994, which is 7 years.

So depending on how you wanna view it, Slott would tie Michelinie next year if you start from 2008, but if you consider it from 2010, he's only 4 years in.

But Slott is gonna be the one who ends writing the most issues at this rate, cause I'm pretty sure he's close to writing 100 issues of Amazing Spider-Man, while he's over that if you include Superior.

Right now I'm ok with Slott writing, I'm just annoyed that the pace has been cut down right now.
    But I'll be honest when I say I don't like the idea of him being on the book when its 2016 or later. At that point I would want a new writer.

Okay too everyone using the symbiote to justify the Plot induced Stupidity in Superior I Propose this challenge to that statement. Peter gradually became more aggressive while Superior he had a 180 personality shift overnight.

BANNED

That's because Peter told Carlie what had happened. It made sense to me. She suspected that Peter was really Doc Ock because she was the only one who knew about it. No one else suspected that Peter was Doc Ock because no one else knew. They knew that he wasn't acting like himself and acted accordingly, but why would they guess that a villain had taken over his body?

'nuff said.

Actually, I was thinking of what Carlie accomplished during Superior, and I was reminded that she was the one who found that Otto's body was stolen. Was that ever resolved? Because if not, I'm adding that to list of things Slott needs to deal with before he ends his run.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    Right now I'm ok with Slott writing, I'm just annoyed that the pace has been cut down right now.
    But I'll be honest when I say I don't like the idea of him being on the book when its 2016 or later. At that point I would want a new writer.
    Who would you like to see write Spider-Man:

1. Roger Stern
    2. David Morrell
    3. Peter David
    5. Kelly Sue D.
    6. Marjorie Liu

I would love to see Marvel take a chance of allowing either Kelly Sue, Marjorie Liu, or Roger Stern to take over the reins of Spider-Man once Slott's run has concluded on his terms...