View Poll Results: When did you first really get into the X-Men?

Voters
157. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1970's or earlier (wow props!!)

8 5.10%
  • 1980-85

16 10.19%
  • 1985-90

23 14.65%
  • 1990-95

60 38.22%
  • 1995-00

13 8.28%
  • 2000-05

15 9.55%
  • 2005-10

7 4.46%
  • 2010-15

12 7.64%
  • 2015-Current (ya wee bairn!)

3 1.91%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default When did you first really get into the X-Men?

Take a trip down memory lane? Tell us what got you into the X-Men. What really snagged you? STORY TIME!

(5 year increments)

For me personally: The early 90's. I was 8 years old at the time and remember seeing X-Men #1 (series 2) with the fold-out cover in the back room of an old book store while my grandmother was looking at used books. I asked if she'd buy it for me and kinda remember the dude at the checkout desk looking at me funny. As an adult I kinda think he wondered if I knew what I was getting. I mean, do you sell such a comic to a kid back in the speculation days? Well, I got it and I was hooked.

The next time I was able to get an X-Men comic was at the grocery store with my mom, it was X-Men #20 and I read it so much it's in horrible shape but I still own that copy. (the #1 issue I had from '91 had some bending on the spine but it wasn't too bad thanks to being a thicker cover stock).

Anyway, then the cartoon hit and I was like: "ERMAGUUUURD I NEED ALL THE X-MEN EVERYWHERE AND ALL THE THINGS!!!" Been a fan ever since, really.
    Last edited by uebersoldat; 05-07-2018 at 07:13 AM.

BANNED

I grew up watching TAS in the 90s, but didn't read any of the books at that time. I didn't actually start picking up any of the books until I discovered X-23, through TV Tropes, of all places, maybe around 2012. I started picking up trades of her solos and earlier series she appeared in, but the first series I started collecting "live" was the Logan Legacy (digital).

May, 1989.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

TAS.

No one in my family was big into comics, so I didn't really start reading them until I could afford them on my own much later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dementia5 View Post
    May, 1989.
    I feel like there should be a story here...

Early 2000s. I want to say late 2001, early 2002 or late 2002, early 2003.

I was a big fan of XTAS as I''m sure a lot of kids were back then. I would buy comics randomly back then or borrow friends. I didn't get into collecting TPB's or Monthly until after X2 came out. That movie got me hooked.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

BANNED

As a Batman fan first , who was still an innocent kid, I got into X-Men once I learned right from wrong. I watched X-Men TAS occasionally though not religiously. Maverick movies as Logan or X-Men 2 did keep me in the Fandom for been legit movies that brought validity to comic movies. Marvel or DC or neither, it was such big win for comic fans to see a movie (X-MEN 2) getting so much respect and artistic acclaim after we were ridiculed about Batman and Robin.

I almost feel sorry for many young people coming into Marvel or X-Men today that can't differentiate What Marvel actually is from Disney Capitalism. They will grow up without the substance that many of us had when we got into the world of comics. Though through the internet and ebay, I will limit it to a few young people since anyone can buy a comic book from 20-30 years ago on ebay or download X-Men 2 for free on the internet or if their parents were wise enough kept all the arcade games to pass on to their children.
    Last edited by Tarantino; 05-07-2018 at 09:01 AM.

I was aware of the X-Men from Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends tv show, but it was not until my brother and I found Issue # 248 at the local grocery store that we went in hook, line, and sinker for the merry mutants.

"Why, Havok? Why did you kill Storm?"

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

XTAS

10char.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

From XTAS. I would say end of 90`s and start of 2000.

A different animated series.

Growing up with Saturday Morning Cartoons, the X-Men always caught my eye in their brief cameos on SPIDER-MAN AND HIS AMAZING FRIENDS, culminating in a full episode appearance in "The X-Men Adventure". The diverse team and Storm in particular caught my eye as a character of color with such a unique visual design.
    http://dai.ly/x3unz4o

From there long road trips in the backseat of the family vehicle led me to develop a reading habit when comic books were a popular staple in gas station on the interstate. My first issue purchased was X-MEN #184 (1984) the cover of which caught my eye for featuring an active in battle Professor X- when I had been used to seeing him wheelchair bound. Rachel Summers became a favorite and to this day holds a place in my geek heart.

It's been a long time since I had to learn so much so quickly just to understand what was happening why it was happening, and what was worth paying attention.

Early 2000s, X-Men Evolution on Kids WB. I saw TAS before that but it didn't hook me like Evolution did. Also the games they used to have for Xbox, Legends I think it was called also helped. I used to play as different mutants just to see what their powers were.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by uebersoldat View Post
    I feel like there should be a story here...
    There is. It’s this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.