Page 283 of 782 FirstFirst ... 183233273279280281282283284285286287293333383 ... LastLast
Results 4,231 to 4,245 of 11718

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    He nods.

“I can distract them though. Keep you...safe during spell.”
    "Then it will not be a burden you undertake alone," Ochazuke said.

No matter how thorough a chronicle may be etched into memory, a living history is altogether a different thing. Through the rediscovery of things hidden in the legacy of the Five Schools and the Hidden Hand with Zaofan and Balon, there was held a silent, unspoken understanding with Wilhelm.

"Though, I should like an undisturbed moment to examine the Cairn. There is much to them which remains unwritten."

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero MKA View Post
    There was quite a bit to take in once the lesson got started. Sarada had absolutely no experience with magic prior to this moment, so it was like she was at the CTC all over again. To show that she was serious, she opened up a document on her PAD and started taking thorough notes to study later. She'd add whatever she learned from Ishtar and Etrina later on, then take them time to craft her own spell.

To start, combat magic was much simpler and easier to cast than the ritual based magic, like the one Ishtar was gearing up to perform to get them home. With that in mind, Sarada knew where she needed to focus on. As a Saiyan, she already accepted that she'd neither have the need nor the skill to cast anything complex. Stuff like healing magic, illusions, and the like were much more up her ally. With her own creativity, she would likely be able to meld her own ki techniques into whatever spell she decided to come up with for a double-edged attack.

That, of course, would come much later when she had the basics down.

As she listened, she asked questions and wrote down what Nevanlinna said in answer.

Once the demonstrations came, she turned her camcorder on and recorded everything Nevanlinna said and did during. She planned on going back and rewatching it over and over until she felt ready to give it a try herself.

Finally, she took notes on how to sense magic in the same way she sensed ki. Since she didn't under how to do the latter until well after she graduated from the CTC, she wasn't expecting to master the former for quite some time.

The lesson concluded with the Threshling suggesting that she still seek out Ishtar's tutelage, and even that of Etrina. A sound idea on the latter; she hadn't thought of going to the time sorceress.

"Thanks, Nevanlinna," she said gratefully when it was all over. She stood and made sure to save her notes before vanishing the hologram. "I won't be as good at this stuff as you or Ishtar, but being able to heal myself is my only goal anyway. If I can manage that, then this endeavor was a big success."
    "I do this for the benefit of the group... I hope," said Neva. "And remember, when I say that anyone pick this up, I am viewing magic from the perspective of a people for whom using magic is as natural as... using ki is for yours. I may very well be mistaken about whether you can truly learn it or not. But.. I suppose you'll take that chance and try, won't you? I would expect nothing less."

"Now... some months ago, you challenged me to a spar, did you not? I refused, stating that I had no means to match your... Hitozaru, was it? That has changed--or will soon--so would you perchance be interested in a spar. Not here, lest we risk rousing the restless dead, but... after we return home? I would test myself against that halfbreed, but I would likely die of old age before he finished with his poses and speeches and..."

She shook her head and sighed. "...enough of that line of thought, before a headache sets in. I think I have a technique to draw out more power that you'll find... acceptably formidable, even taking into account your Hitozaru form."
    The poster formerly known as Daiyoukai Ramza.

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Meagan asks Wilhelm to help her go through the building. To show her those items he considers to be valuable. Those items he wants to be taken back with them when they leave.
    The data pads, all two hundred or so. The works of art if possible. Some of the armory.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post

No matter how thorough a chronicle may be etched into memory, a living history is altogether a different thing. Through the rediscovery of things hidden in the legacy of the Five Schools and the Hidden Hand with Zaofan and Balon, there was held a silent, unspoken understanding with Wilhelm.

"Though, I should like an undisturbed moment to examine the Cairn. There is much to them which remains unwritten."
    “Dangerous...but I can take you there. No..ki though. When we go to magic foci, only..tech allowed too except when Spell is cast. When near Cairns, no...power only tech.”
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

Jack sat in the corner of the room, eyes shut, head to one side.

It might look like he was sleeping, but au contraire! He was in fact...uh...communing with the dead!

Jack: *Snore* *Snort* *Snore*

Yep!

An old book with a single portrait of her and a name:

Shek’hinah, a Goddess.
    It took some searching, but when Ishtar finally found a portion of the information she sought after, her eyes widened.

"Oh my."

The information was useless in the moment, beyond its revelation, but when she returned there was a conversation to be had with Shek'hinah; and so filing the information away, Ishtar continued her investigation before something of interest was spoken by Ochazuke.

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post

"Ochazuke raises a fine point." Ishtar says, turning from her revelation at the mention of the Cairn Yard. "The wards, and their charges are as ancient as I am. I would learn all I can before I leave this ... place, behind. If I am unable to return, the loss of what secrets lay hidden would be a ... disappointment."

The souls that had been laid to rest in that hellish Carlin Yard hungered for the energy -- Life, Magic, Blood -- of the living. Was it Vitalmancy ? A curse lain upon them, binding them within their long-decayed corpses, and ancient bones ?

Whatever it was, Ishtar wished to learn of it before departing.
    Last edited by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh; 09-17-2018 at 01:16 PM.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

The bone is old, older than....her?

Asha’rah knows only one place that could be possibly older.

Universe 18.

The universe that ended up paired with 15, her universe. Universe 18, the first and oldest of them. The one Zeno first started.

This is where they are now.

And the bone? The bone is of the First Race. The first creatures ever created by Zeno. It is so old it has no presence of name anymore.
    There are innumerable nuances to a sense of loss. Sometimes, strength leaves your body, leaving you limp and lifeless. Sometimes you feel a crushing weight, drowning you within your sorrow beyond your ability to rise above it. And sometimes, like now, you feel like the floor fades from under you, and you’re just falling…falling into the abyss.

Asha’rah fell onto her hands and knees. They were upon the ashes of Zeno’s failed experiment. Great and powerful from the beginning, dominating their universe with ease, falling upon the weight of their own hubris. They were the impetus for the creation of the Gods of Creation. Why were the souls of these first prototypes so restless? These bones were supposed to have been laid to rest, a memorial and cautionary tale both.

Her own metal arm caught her eye. Gods and demons both were finding themselves embodying objects besides their original bodies. Was it so far fetched to suppose one might trap a soul within their own corpse?
    She laid a hand upon the bone and reached out with her divine spirit, trying to find any trace of what had animated it so recently.
    Last edited by Lord Falcon; 09-17-2018 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Falcon View Post
    There are innumerable nuances to a sense of loss. Sometimes, strength leaves your body, leaving you limp and lifeless. Sometimes you feel a crushing weight, drowning you within your sorrow beyond your ability to rise above it. And sometimes, like now, you feel like the floor fades from under you, and you’re just falling…falling into the abyss.

Asha’rah fell onto her hands and knees. They were upon the ashes of Zeno’s failed experiment. The impetus for the creation of the Gods of Creation. Why were the souls of these first prototypes so restless? These bones were supposed to have been laid to rest, a memorial and cautionary tale both.

Her own metal arm caught her eye. Gods and demons both were finding themselves embodying objects besides their original bodies. Was it so far fetched to suppose one might trap a soul within their own corpse?
    She laid a hand upon the bone and reached out with her divine spirit, trying to find any trace of what had animated it so recently.
    The spirit is long gone. The body is almost like an automaton. It sleeps unless it senses ki or magic or life's energy near by, then awakens to feed. Whatever embodied the old creature, it is no longer there and is simply a a terrible trap now. It only the presence of blood magic that awoke them, and even all they took has been consumed and taken.

Though perhaps something deep in the world.......
    Last edited by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade; 09-17-2018 at 02:41 PM.
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

The data pads, all two hundred or so. The works of art if possible. Some of the armory.
    Meagan pulls out her Capsule Wallet. Opening it up and looking inside, she noted each one. The capsules that contained the extra house, the airship and the land transport. Most of her personal belongings had been left behind either at the Temple or with Jinzi, but there was one capsule which contained items she had wished to keep close at hand. A fifth capsule was unmarked, except with an identifier that it was in use. That left five empty capsules, more then enough to store the data pads, artwork and weapons.

Putting the wallet away, "I will begin storing these items shortly. Just need to make sure they are all accounted for before I do."
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Meagan pulls out her Capsule Wallet. Opening it up and looking inside, she noted each one. The capsules that contained the extra house, the airship and the land transport. Most of her personal belongings had been left behind either at the Temple or with Jinzi, but there was one capsule which contained items she had wished to keep close at hand. A fifth capsule was unmarked, except with an identifier that it was in use. That left five empty capsules, more then enough to store the data pads, artwork and weapons.

Putting the wallet away, "I will begin storing these items shortly. Just need to make sure they are all accounted for before I do."
    Wilhelm nods his thanks.
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    It took some searching, but when Ishtar finally found a portion of the information she sought after, her eyes widened.

"Oh my."

The information was useless in the moment, beyond its revelation, but when she returned there was a conversation to be had with Shek'hinah; and so filing the information away, Ishtar continued her investigation before something of interest was spoken by Ochazuke.

"Ochazuke raises a fine point." Ishtar says, turning from her revelation at the mention of the Cairn Yard. "The wards, and their charges are as ancient as I am. I would learn all I can before I leave this ... place, behind. If I am unable to return, the loss of what secrets lay hidden would be a ... disappointment."

The souls that had been laid to rest in that hellish Carlin Yard hungered for the energy -- Life, Magic, Blood -- of the living. Was it Vitalmancy ? A curse lain upon them, binding them within their long-decayed corpses, and ancient bones ?

Whatever it was, Ishtar wished to learn of it before departing.
    “Don’t know what you’ll find. No souls left. Just bones and hunger. But I will take you...there.”
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

Wilhelm nods his thanks.
    OOC: I assume that some of the data pads and other items are either being used or studied. Once everyine is finsihed with them, Meagan will begin packing them away.

IC: As she does, she also keeps an eye open for anything else worth saving. Perhaps something he did not realize the value of. It takes her some time to get everything sealed up and ready for travel.
    Last edited by Tami; 09-17-2018 at 03:23 PM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Retired Overlord

“Don’t know what you’ll find. No souls left. Just bones and hunger. But I will take you...there.”
    "Save a seat for me would you, I'd quite like to get a closer look at them myself." Etrina added in. ".....though, if I start making crasy propositions about bringing one home I'm sure Ishtar has the means to sedate me."

"It is the bones, and their hunger I seek to study, Wilhelm. Bereft of souls, the old bones should remain silent ... and yet they clamor at the sense of Ki, and hunger for the energy living. Why ? How ? I would know before this trip is ended."

Quote Originally Posted by MrSandman View Post
    "Save a seat for me would you, I'd quite like to get a closer look at them myself." Etrina added in. ".....though, if I start making crasy propositions about bringing one home I'm sure Ishtar has the means to sedate me."
    Ishtar turned to look at Etrina, silently appraising her with glowing golden-eyes, only to chuckle after an eerie silence had settled in.

"Do not worry, Etrina. I intend to bring one with us."
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Wilhelm nods and gestures.

“Leave now. See Cairn and be done with it.”

He leads them outside and back to the shed his motorbike is in. Instead of it, a four door open jeep like vehicle rolls out, Wilhelm at the wheel.

Room enough for Ishtar, Ochazuke, Etrina, and one more.
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM