Page 545 of 782 FirstFirst ... 45445495535541542543544545546547548549555595645 ... LastLast
Results 8,161 to 8,175 of 11718

Default The GoDening 2/2

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero MKA View Post
    The sentiment was sound, but Asha'rah was the wrong person to profess it.

She sighed, deciding to speak up. "Not that anyone asked, but I'd like to offer my own thoughts, if that's okay." She looked into the Asha'rah's eyes, holding her gaze for a moment before turning it to the floor. "Unless I'm wrong, you created this destruction energy to balance out your own natural energy. Thus, I feel it safe to assume you also created restrictions to prevent a creation god from wielding it as a destruction god would. That you overstepped those restrictions - either concrete or understood, it doesn't matter - for a cause you felt important enough is one thing. Fast forward to now, and The Doctor has overstepped the understood restrictions to not only steal time energy from Zurvan, but also wield it with reckless abandon to tear the timestream apart and become the god of time himself.

"These two actions are synonymous in their result: that being two beings stealing and wielding power that did not belong to them for reasons they saw fit to act in accordance with. Whatever reason you had for stealing Hakai is irrelevant. Whatever reason The Doctor has for stealing time energy is also irrelevant. The fact is you wield a power you have no right to possess, just as this alternate Jinzi Pantaloons also wields a power he has no right to possess. That you saw fit to declare that the gods of old should have placed tighter restrictions on time itself to prevent the latter, while acknowledging the former, makes you a hypocrite. The sentiment and spirit of your declaration are true. There should have been a more care taken to prevent a concept of the universe from being unduly manipulated by a mortal. While that sentiment is true, you aren't the right person to make it."

She shrugged lazily. "But, what do I know? Far be it for a mortal to question the ways of the divine and almighty."
    "More than a former God," Ishtar replied with a nod in Parsley's direction.

Though it seemed that the recently revived Saiyan seemed to be taking the middle ground, acknowledging that there was legitimacy to Asha'rah's side to things -- that things should have been made differently -- while at the same time decrying the fact that she would be the one to Champion it; which was the main thrust of the Oni's own argument. And while Ishtar's agreed to some extent with the notion of perhaps more hands on governing: that it was a mortal who was making the argument in favor of restrictions, and how certain things should have been altered to prevent tampering to the same degree that was going on now, however; was a curious thing.

After all, for mortals ... it was typically the opposite.

So as Ishtar stared at Parsley, she who would run counter to the pervasive notions of might and means, that had one gripped her; the Oni cracked a small smile. "Thank you for your insight, in this. It has ... interestingly, given me a thing worthy of consideration."
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

“Meaning? Since when have you ever needed gods to give you meaning, Ochazuke? You find it through the path you choose, as do we all,” Asha’rah said, giving him a small smile. He would be fine. Asha’rah knew not any human with a more stable and tested mind than Ochazuke.

“Suffice to say that to call the motivation for the Great Founding a lark would trivialize the scale of our motivations and the undertaking itself. It might be difficult for one who has ever known a challenging world upon which to test himself to understand, but we began when we were young, before the first stars were cosmic dust, and we never truly stopped. You are our life’s work.”

Ochazuke’s admonition, however, cut right to the truth of the matter, refocusing all parties from their respective positions to the situation at hand. Asha’rah might be a god, but in power she was no longer godlike. Was it not for the greater good that she helped cultivate this band in the first place, that they might ultimately help end a war the heavens had failed to resolve? Even now with her memories back, Asha’rah was nowhere near as detached an observer as she used to be – it was necessary to involve mortals in a fight the heavens had attempted to shield them from, for that was how dire the situation was. Yet still had she readily withdrawn when rejected, lacking the sense to recognize how different such detachment could not be afforded at this time.

“We all make our own choices. To anticipate the choices of another is not to make their choices for them. Otherwise, Sakin would bear the sole responsibility for manipulating Zeno’s faction and I into civil war. It is only when we repeat the same instance in time again and again, seeing the choices people make and then annihilating those choices by travelling back in time, changing things ever so slightly each time until the desired end is reached, that we destroy the ability of others to choose.”

She breathed deep, finding her center once more.

“But you are right of course, that I am not in any position to act as remote observer amongst you now, nor to step back so completely when rejected. Frankly, adjustments to our approach as observers of creation may well be warranted, for I suspect we have been missing the trees for the forest. I will endeavor to be more active in fielding your concerns. One such concern being what it is to be a god.”

Who knew what being a god meant nowadays outside Zeno’s cordon? Asha’rah could only speak to her own experience, now many millenia out of date.

“To be a god as I know us to be is many things. Among them immortality, a vision for reality, and the restraint to resist cultivating unquestioning adulation from mortals. Beyond all these, however, is simply a question of essence. The souls of gods are of a different nature, and through ourselves do we generate the energy to create from nothing or return it to the same. Mortal souls can grow in power, in some cases exceptionally, and they can be gifted with minute amounts of divine energy. But they will never be able to cultivate it themselves. The only way I can think of for this Genesis to wield creation energy as she does would be…”

Asha’rah paused, unseen gears slowly turning under her will.

“If she managed to ascend to godhood without the aid of the existing divine order, or with the aid of gods who have managed to hijack the means of ascension for themselves.”

She shrugged, turning to Ishtar.

“This is mere speculation, however. We know too little of Genesis at present to judge her surely, and I care little for accusations based on convenience. The ability to see and always speak the truth is not so great a gift if every half-known thing is twisted to fit the narrative one desires, if every context besides one’s own is dismissed as irrelevant.”

As she heard not just Ishtar’s, but Parsleys’ and Ochazukes’ as well, Asha’rah realized they held a fundamental misconception of her own position.

“I do not recall, for example, ever expressing ill will towards this alternate Jinzi for attempting to manipulate time. If that be the basis for this charge of hypocrisy, let my answer be thus: All things strive, and to strive is to attempt to overcome one’s limits. It is not the responsibility of mortals to stay away from subject matter the gods have allowed reality to make viable, and a god who abhors mortals for trying to better themselves is doomed to misery or tyranny. Do you think I loathe Etrina for her use of time magic? Plainly, I do not, and respect her intellect, curiosity and dedication to her profession. That I express a wish that we gods had made time manipulation impossible has nothing to do with my personal regard to those who manipulate time, and everything to do with my own vision as a God of Creation.”

Finally, she turned to Parsley, Sarada’s sister. From what she understood, the Saiyan had come a long way in a very short time. To learn to process her own emotions and make genuine connections again was no easy task for one who had been so indoctrinated into her local Saiyan culture. Asha’rah was happy for her, happy for Sarada as Parsley’s sister, and even now happy for Ishtar that her mate had a healthier family life.

“Jinzi seeks power to wield time, just as I sought power to wield Hakai. Parsley, you are completely correct, as are all of you, in saying that Jinzi and I fight the existing order of things and took power from others to do it, but I do not hate Jinzi for seeking power over time itself. That Jinzi’s success is a possibility at all is the responsibility and fault of the gods who forged time as we know it to be. To rebel is inherently to disregard the rules of the existing order. There is no inherent right to power. Natural laws are subjects such as physics and chemistry. The only meaning in existence is what we make of it, and in that there is boundless meaning to be had.”
    Last edited by Lord Falcon; 12-18-2018 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    "Althena," Meagan replied with considerable patience, "Seeing as we both will be staying here to guard Earth while Praxata and the others are away on the mission, we will have plenty of time to talk. For now, I have invited Praxat to come with me and my apprentices on a training session in the mountains. After we return, you can resume working with her."

She then spoke to the Toadian warrior, "Are you ready to leave?"
    Althena replies to this saying " I see your point." Praxat replies to this saying " yeah I'm ready to go but first Althena go you so me the Flash hop one more time before we go off with Megan, Cyanna and Dash." " Althena replies to this saying " sure thing but I'll make it quick. when Althena does flash hop it creates a small sonic boom and then seems to jump off the air .

every time it looks like Althena is jumping off the air there always a small sonic boom and she does this in a zig·zag motion in rapid succession so it appears as if she's jump off the air itself multiple times . Althena lands on the ground saying " there that was the Flash Hop of course it doesn't have to be in a zig zag motion, and it's more effect the faster you are." Praxat replies to this saying " Althena thanks for showing me the Flash Hop technique again. " Okay Megan now I'm ready."
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Quote Originally Posted by bruceleegreyhulk View Post
    Althena replies to this saying " I see your point." Praxat replies to this saying " yeah I'm ready to go but first Althena go you so me the Flash hop one more time before we go off with Megan, Cyanna and Dash." " Althena replies to this saying " sure thing but I'll make it quick. when Althena does flash hop it creates a small sonic boom and then seems to jump off the air .

every time it looks like Althena is jumping off the air there always a small sonic boom and she does this in a zig·zag motion in rapid succession so it appears as if she's jump off the air itself multiple times . Althena lands on the ground saying " there that was the Flash Hop of course it doesn't have to be in a zig zag motion, and it's more effect the faster you are." Praxat replies to this saying " Althena thanks for showing me the Flash Hop technique again. " Okay Megan now I'm ready."
    With a polite nod to Althena, Meagan steps forward towards the edge of the Plaza. "Praxat, Cyanna, Dash, follow me." As she lifts off and into the air and heads towards the North-West.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Her silver iris-ed eyes glinted with a brief flash of light as her interest in this project peaked, "Yes, I had heard that this was what you were planning. It is fascinating and clever idea, one I am looking forward to working with you on."
    He nods. Then, seeing something going on with Asha’rah he begs Reimi’s leave and moves over there.

OT: Time post/loop closed.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    OOC: Just in case the above post was lost in the mix (although I might have just missed any response to it)
    ----------

A familiar twinge of need echoed in his chest and the sensation of dark scales slithering through the darkness accompanying it. It seems the spat between Ishtar and Asha'rah had roused the ancient spirit, perhaps in anticipation of the potential duel that could erupt from this.

Bwhahaha!!

The laughter sent vibrations through his core, prompting him to press his hand against his chest in some vain attempt to cease the dinosaur's cackling.

Look and take in the truth laid bare before you, Charco... The spirit began, reveling in this turn of events,... No matter how many layers they seek to place between they and mortals, Gods, Goddesses, whatever self-important title they wave about, are no different from you and I underneath it all... Well, perhaps just you. I, as the Strongest, have long since shed such burdens. No longer am I shackled to their rules for I existence outside their system.

Crossing his arms over his chest, the boy leaned against a nearby wall as he continued to watch, trying his best to ignore the monologuing dinosaur in his head.

These deities speak of balance but have forgotten that there is more than just creation and destruction. Seeking to enforce order will only spur chaos into action, and its influence has no need for titles and roles. Your ancestors, as much as I loathe to admit, taught me this and I would place my bets that it will not be the influence of immortals that will prevail, but the very mortals they look down upon.

A long stretch of silence followed before Rex followed up with, Do not confuse my words for respect, Charco. I will punish your bloodline all in due time and then I shall take my rightful place as the Strongest and feast upon worlds and universes.
    Jinzi grins and sends Charco a thumbs up.

“Thanks man! That’s an amazing gift.”
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    “Be that as it may, your paths and ours are intertwined. Here and now, neither of you has the right to sequester yourself from your duty, nor the time to fight one another.”

To Ishtar, with a nod, he spoke first.

“Whether Black Fire or the flowing course of things, it matters little,” he said. “The intent has not changed, only the means of enacting it. In the face of entropy and destruction, we may yet need a Creator to mend what would be lost."

He waited a moment for his perhaps vain words to sink in before he turned Asha'rah.

“The monks of Kame-shima were content to shed their tethers to the world as well; that is, until they grew hungry,” Ochazuke said. “It seems as if you chose your friend's path and made his fate for him. That you could bear to answer another you called friend with such magnanimous betrayal, but not burden yourself to strive for Ishtar for the sake of some godly ethos...cheh.”

He took a step forward, aligning a third point adjacent to the two.

“Godliness. The Destroyer, Hammer, was not born into his godhood. It was gifted to him, a Namek mortal with great appetites and lack of scruples.” Ochazuke continued. “What then is the distinction between god and an ascended mortal? A gift you say has been stolen. That you have shown us, can be taken."

"So what then makes a god? Is it enlightened vision? Or is it merely a question of who holds the power? Rising up on the backs of others has resulted in nothing but an outpouring of more who aspire to do the same, to call themselves the new zenith of things. And that is the problem with our current predicament. The both of you strive toward any matter besides that which would require you to hear each other. One hand strives to cut the other at the wrist to spite the already fractured balance. But tell me, who is it that suffers while the gods quarrel?”

Even now, the grave of a planet that buried the deposed god was fresh in his memory.

The wild man, clothed in flesh sheathing the broken armour of Time itself finally found a moment. There on the Lookout plaza, between god and goddesses, Ochazuke found himself standing a few paces short of each.

Casting his glance between one to the next, despite the energy diminished much in the way of the familiar living ki, there was an undeniable energy rendered there in silence, more primordial essences cast against the fabric of his very being, against which he found his breath staggering, and a cold sweat dewing at his temples. In spite of himself, he simply found it difficult to move. His leaned forward toward Zurvan then, and though the martial artist struck up no stance, he was very visibly guarded.

“Only an inquiry beset by haste and in words inadequately suited to passions,” he managed to speak, though the words flew tight from his throat. “One of many possible courses, one supposes. And many possible truths, depending on what is heard.”

He inhaled air slowly, carried it to still the chilled blood that streamed through the vessels of his scarred heart.

“Is this the eventual course for those who bear the mantle of Destroyer and of Creator? If it is indeed all for nothing and whim to fitful disagreement, then perhaps you might see it would be best we stand aside and let them sort it out. For they are the worthy.”
    “Worthy? An interesting word.” Zurvan says. He sits down, legs crossed and closes his eyes.

“I am not a god. I am not an Angel attendee. I am an aspect, born merely as an afterthought or reaction to time existing. My nature was to watch it, and I did. Many years I watched gods and saw that though many did good works, both in Destruction and Creation, that just as many were selfish or lazy or uninterested beyond the written word of their calling. And I pondered why? Why give such power to beings who did not respect it? I did not join in the fight in th heavens, I was neutral. But afterwards.....afterwards Sihn visited me. A mortal, not a god or angel or aspect, but a good man who wanted to help. He pleaded with me to become the Supreme Kai of time for these universes, to give them a chance and to help him, as the defacto Supreme Kai, undo some of the damage. I listened to his passion, his willingness to sacrifice, and I was moved where Sakin and Asha’rah and Inda’ren and all others in the war had failed to move me.”

He opens his eyes.

“I find that those who claim worthiness rarely are, mortal or god alike. I prefer actions to speak for oneself. Sihn is not a god, but we have done our best to maintain and fix what we can. I believe mortals are more important and more worthy, in the grand scheme, Ochazuke, despite their fragileness, than you realize.”
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

With a polite nod to Althena, Meagan steps forward towards the edge of the Plaza. "Praxat, Cyanna, Dash, follow me." As she lifts off and into the air and heads towards the North-West.
    Praxat flies off following Megan and while flying says " hmm I been think what if I could develop a technique that could absorb and store opposing Ki. by that I mean store every Ki base attack my body receives and release it all at once in a massive attack?" " I wonder what the drawback of such a technique would be ? " Althena's description of Rebound Flash Boost Counter got me thinking about this."
    Last edited by bruceleegreyhulk; 12-19-2018 at 06:06 AM.
    My Forum check it out

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Retired Overlord

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero MKA View Post
    Sarada could only sigh in relief when the Id was revealed to have survived. "Spin it however you want, but this is a notch in the win column for me." She cracked a small smile as she carried Erosa back to the Lookout. When she landed, she placed her gently on the ground, then reached inside her armor to pull out a capsule. She clicked it open, showing the contents - the food Bekon gave her yesterday to strengthen her after Held saved her life from the lethal neurotoxin.

That reminded her that she needed to repay him for that.

The food had healing properties like no other, meaning that it should have healed Erosa no problem. "Here, eat this," she said, handing Erosa some of the food. "Totoma's dad made it and it's got some kick-ass healing properties, so you'll be back on your feet in no time."
    "Hey....The fight isn't over yet....I can totally still keep going...another ten rounds at least....ahh....." Erosa sniffed the air, now filled with the smell of good food. ".....I guess....we can have an extended lunch break..."

The Id opened her mouth and took the food that was offered to her, chomping down on it with a new fountain of energy that could only be brought on by the addition off food....even beaten half to death. It only took a moment for tears to well up in the Ids eyes, not from any particular emotion....but the fact the food was so DAMN good.

".....Your being so considerate all of a sudden.......I don't think you've ever given me food. I definitely...took more from you then otherwise. Its kinda weird...."

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

The fallen goddess offered her replies to all who stood opposite her. Much of it went over Parsley's head. The status of god and whether a mortal could become a god and still be likened as such to those who had been gods from birth was all dreadfully boring and uninteresting. The only thing that mattered to her on that end was that it was in fact possible for a mortal - say, a Saiyan, for example - to ascend to godhood. What said being did with their newfound godhood remained to be seen and determined, and was ultimately up to the individual.

The part of the response that recaptured her attention was the following:

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Falcon View Post
    As she heard not just Ishtar’s, but Parsleys’ and Ochazukes’ as well, Asha’rah realized they held a fundamental misconception of her own position.

“I do not recall, for example, ever expressing ill will towards this alternate Jinzi for attempting to manipulate time. If that be the basis for this charge of hypocrisy, let my answer be thus: All things strive, and to strive is to attempt to overcome one’s limits. It is not the responsibility of mortals to stay away from subject matter the gods have allowed reality to make viable, and a god who abhors mortals for trying to better themselves is doomed to misery or tyranny. Do you think I loathe Etrina for her use of time magic? Plainly, I do not, and respect her intellect, curiosity and dedication to her profession. That I express a wish that we gods had made time manipulation impossible has nothing to do with my personal regard to those who manipulate time, and everything to do with my own vision as a God of Creation.”

Finally, she turned to Parsley, Sarada’s sister. From what she understood, the Saiyan had come a long way in a very short time. To learn to process her own emotions and make genuine connections again was no easy task for one who had been so indoctrinated into her local Saiyan culture. Asha’rah was happy for her, happy for Sarada as Parsley’s sister, and even now happy for Ishtar that her mate had a healthier family life.

“Jinzi seeks power to wield time, just as I sought power to wield Hakai. Parsley, you are completely correct, as are all of you, in saying that Jinzi and I fight the existing order of things and took power from others to do it, but I do not hate Jinzi for seeking power over time itself. That Jinzi’s success is a possibility at all is the responsibility and fault of the gods who forged time as we know it to be. To rebel is inherently to disregard the rules of the existing order. There is no inherent right to power. Natural laws are subjects such as physics and chemistry. The only meaning in existence is what we make of it, and in that there is boundless meaning to be had.”
    There were a few things with that reply that gave her pause. One, Asha'rah rebutted Parsley's alleged claim that she despised the alternate Jinzi for his use of time travel.

Or, did she?

It sounded like she just repeated what Parsley said, but with more words. That had to be the case; Parsley never said Asha'rah hated The Doctor, only that she and he were similar in their actions and possibly their motivations.

That she skirted around the fact that she wasn't the one who should have been delivering the sentiment she stood resolutely by was another cause for concern. But, not one that Parsley ultimately felt the need to give a response to. She felt that the fallen goddess knew as well as she did that she lacked the... freedom of speech, or a clear enough conscience as it were, for that kind of statement, even if said statement was absolutely correct.

In the end, she wasn't sure where she should have gone from there in regards a reply, so she simply moved on. "You, of all people, shouldn't feel any ill-will toward this Jinzi Pantaloons. If anything, I would dare to suggest that out of all of us, you would understand him the most. After all, your motivations and reasons for the theft of power and the rebellion in the heavens were right in your own eyes; the ends justifying the means. The same can certainly be said of The Doctor, whatever his motivations and reasons may be."

This was not to say that she felt that Jinzi was justified in ripping apart time itself, thus killing Zurvan, and taking that power for himself. This was also not to say that he even had a valid reason for doing so. He could very well have been power hungry and wanted to become as close to the ultimate source of power in the universe as he could. The point Parsley was attempting to make was that Asha'rah, out of all of them, was the most likely to understand his thinking and his willingness to go to the lengths he had already gone to and had yet to go to to fulfill his purpose.

"Not to say that we shouldn't do our utmost to stop him before Zurvan's life comes to an end, mind you."
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrSandman View Post
    "Hey....The fight isn't over yet....I can totally still keep going...another ten rounds at least....ahh....." Erosa sniffed the air, now filled with the smell of good food. ".....I guess....we can have an extended lunch break..."

The Id opened her mouth and took the food that was offered to her, chomping down on it with a new fountain of energy that could only be brought on by the addition off food....even beaten half to death. It only took a moment for tears to well up in the Ids eyes, not from any particular emotion....but the fact the food was so DAMN good.

".....Your being so considerate all of a sudden.......I don't think you've ever given me food. I definitely...took more from you then otherwise. Its kinda weird...."
    Again, Sarada looked away. "You are my daughter... parasite... thing. And don't get it twisted! Just because I'm giving you food now doesn't mean I'll be making a habit out of it! So don't get comfortable!"

She was only giving Erosa this good because she had it on hand and would have rather avoided getting a lecture from Chuan/Kai/Slak whoever about not being so rough and careless during what was supposed to be a friendly sparring match. Really, one would think they'd have learned by now, but nope.

"Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go bask in the rays of my victory over you. It's Sarada one, Erosa zero for those of you keeping score at home." She grinned, winked, and ran off to find Ishtar.
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Default Sullen Legacy, Part 2

The battle between Bing Lao's forces and the assailants of the Looming Blades carried on, both sides taking losses as the Looming Blade's mechanical horde attempted to lay siege upon the Bing estate. Lao's army had prevailed in keeping most the robotic invaders from reaching the mansion and the ones that tunneled underground were being swiftly dealt with. All Lao truly needed was his daughter and Cowbell's assistance. Once they got to the top floor, they would rain ki blasts down from the sky, decimating their foes. They should be there by now...but they haven't radioed in yet.

Lao supposed they may be dealing with the machines tunneling inside. No doubt trying to free whom he presumed to be the mastermind behind the Blades' betrayal, his former servant Ma Yūsha. Once the Looming Blades' army was dealt with, he'd see that the demon was punished severely...but for now, he had Karaage to deal with. The Looming Blade's 'kennel master' as it were. It was he who commanded the legion of robots being sent his way. Karaage stood confidently atop the ruin's of Lao's front gate. ordering more machines to charge at Lao's forces, these ones more ferocious and animalistic than the last.

These robotic beasts were followed by another horde, this time consisting of human fighters, led by the Looming Blades' combat specialist, Sobayaki who was charging onto the scene to join Karaage.

And suddenly the ground began to quake as bright beams of light shot from beneath Lao's front yard. The now tarnished grass fields ripped further asunder as creatures and entities of pure light began to ravage the battlefield thanks to the Looming Blade's own chief mage, Shabu-Shabu, who teleported next to his two companions as he rose the light elementals from beneath the earth.

Now more than ever Lao needed the backup of his daughter and Cowbell. Raising a blade to cleave one of the human attackers in two, he fell back a bit as he radioed in to make sure they were nearing their destination. "Cowbell! Where are you and Xiůlán?!" he hissed. "The tide may be turning in the Blades' favor! I believe we can still achieve victory, but I need you two on the top floor already!"

Lao fended off more assailants as he awaited an answer, backflipping out of the way of one robotic lion and then suddenly leaping forward to land atop it's head, using a forceful ki-stomp that smashed it upon impact with the ground below. Finally after sounds of a skirmish, he'd heard Cowbell's voice.

"I'm on my way, sir, but...your daughter...I can't find her!" Cowbell relayed back.

"What do you mean," Lao spoke slowly, anger rising in his voice.

"She split up from me sir...I have no idea where she could've gone!"

Yūsha's head warily glanced forward as he heard footsteps entering the lower chambers of the dungeon. Perhaps one of the guards had decided to free him to help put a stop to whatever threat was now besieging the fortress. Perhaps it was Lao himself, come to torture him some more, perhaps kill him. No...he knew better. He'd recognize that run anywhere. The demon smiled to himself as Xiůlán came into his line of sight, taking a peek at different cells to see if he was in one of them.

Finally she happened upon his, and without hesitation, kicked the doors down, letting them smash onto the floor. "The chains..." Yūsha wheezed. They're holding me here...strong magic."

"Kamehameha!" Xiůlán shouted, shooting a smaller more condensed version of the blast at the chains holding her spouse captive. Once they had learned of her father's growing paranoia of Yūsha, the two had wed in secret as soon as they found an opportunity. Even he tried to tear them apart physically (which they knew would never last long), they would still have sings of the bond they shared. However, separation was one thing....but there was no way she would let Yūsha be tortured due to her father's paranoia.

With the chains broken, Yūsha fell to his hands and knees, sighing in relief as he looked up at Xiůlán with a smirk. "You certainly look worse for wear..." the beaten and bloody demon told the slightly scuffed up, but otherwise unharmed Xiůlán, who raised an eyebrow in irritation.

"You moron..." she smiled tearfully, caressing his face in her hands. "Can you stand?"

"Well....let's see," Yūsha muttered managing to get onto his feet quickly enough. "Seems like I can do that and more. Without those chains keeping me incarcerated, I can feel my magic flowing back to me..." He embraced Xiůlán, kissing her passionately as if he hadn't seen her in years. It had only been a few days. but certainly felt that long.

"Kissing while a war is being wage upstairs..." Xiůlán stated breaking away. "I can sorta get into that, but we should probably hurry."

"You're right..." Yūsha nodded, looking serious. "Let's give ourselves...five minutes to get situated, he grinned, going in for another kiss.

"Stop, stop!" Xiůlán laughed. "Seriously, we should probably see to father...do you have any idea where your scythe is?"

"Your dad probably stored it in his personal armory," Yūsha sighed, running his hand through his hair. "Said it would be a sign to anyone who stand in opposition to his great empire."

"God, melodramatic much?" Xiůlán rolled her eyes. "He's probably got 'ol piggy guarding it, doesn't he?"

"Seems likely," Yūsha answered with a chuckle. "Fortunately for us, that means the scythe should be easy pickings. And speaking of weapons, the fan...your father doesn't know about it, does he?"

"No, I never told him..." Xiůlán shook her head. "It's the one thing he hasn't planned for, meaning it may be just perfect thing to turn the tide!"

"..." Yūsha paused for a moment, knowing full well the power the Bansho Fan held over the weather. "That was a pun, wasn't it..."

"I don't understand," Xiůlán glanced at the demon, speaking in a deadpan tone.

"Ugh, you couldn't help yourself, could you?" Yūsha leaned his head back, unable to suppress a bit of a grin. "Truly an astonishing sense of humor you have my dear," he complimented her slightly, her satisfaction apparent with the smug look on her face. "But, we've wasted enough time here, don't you think?"

Xiůlán nodded and the two made their way upstairs, eventually finding their way to the second floor. The armory they searched for was one of the largest rooms in the mansion. A wide, spacious hall full of weapons collected from fallen foes, ancient civilizations, and even some failed, but still deadly prototypes of weapons built by Lao's technicians. There was but one entrance to the armory, currently guarded by Chuka, a dim-witted wild boar man renowned in Lao's army for his sheer physical strength and brutality.

Xiůlán approached Chuka, smiling sweetly. "Chuka!" she greeted. "I haven't spoken to you in a while! How are you?"

"Uh..." the boar man scratched his nose, nervously. "Howdy, maam. Not supposed ta be talkin'. Yer pappy said not to do that. Gotta make sure da intruders don't get in. Or dat demon guy."

"Oh, really?" Xiůlán pouted,m puffing her lip out. "I just wanted to talk about your tusks. I thought they were looking particularly shiny today. They look like they can gore through a truck! Maybe two!" she winked.

"Oh ya really think so!" Chuka guffawed, immediately flattered as he turned to look at her, not noticing the blur that sped past him into the armory behind him. "I really want to if they let me inta da battle! I hope your dad calls me soon!" The boar laughed. Suddenly his nose seemed to catch wind of something. "Wait...dat smells like," he snarled, turning around to see Yūsha, attempting to remove his scythe from it's glass container.

"...hey, buddy!" Yūsha grinned, in the process of smashing the glass casing to free his weapon. "Wha...did...?" he looked, confusion upon his face as he the boar stared daggers at him. "Did I do something wrong?"

"You ain't s'posed ta be here..." Chuka growled. "You ain't s'posed ta touch the scythe..."

"Funnily enough..." Yūsha began. "Same guy who told you that, told me that I was free to go! And I could take my scythe with me. Now that seems a bit contradictory, don't you think! Not that I blame the boss...it's a hectic time and perhaps there was just a little bit of miscommunicatio-,"

"Boss told me, ya'd try and trick me..." Chuka began slowly, his hands reaching towards the pair of twin axes holstered on his back. "Well I ain't gonna fall for it! I'm gonna slice ya ta pieces, demon man!" the boar snorted wildly, only for a sudden chop at the back of his neck to cause him to fall both silent and unconscious.

"Sorry, buddy!" Xiůlán shrugged. "You can tell me how many enemies you gore in your dreams when you wake up!" she turned to see Yūsha approach her, gently stepping over the sleeping Chuka. "All set?" she asked.

"That I am," Yūsha smiled, he weapon now lying on his shoulder. "Should we make out big debut?" he asked.

"Seems like now's as good a time as any!" Xiůlán stated, looking at the floor nervously. It was finally time. And despite everything her father put them through, despite all he did...this still wouldn't be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Falcon View Post
    “We all make our own choices. To anticipate the choices of another is not to make their choices for them. Otherwise, Sakin would bear the sole responsibility for manipulating Zeno’s faction and I into civil war. It is only when we repeat the same instance in time again and again, seeing the choices people make and then annihilating those choices by travelling back in time, changing things ever so slightly each time until the desired end is reached, that we destroy the ability of others to choose.”

She breathed deep, finding her center once more.

“But you are right of course, that I am not in any position to act as remote observer amongst you now, nor to step back so completely when rejected. Frankly, adjustments to our approach as observers of creation may well be warranted, for I suspect we have been missing the trees for the forest. I will endeavor to be more active in fielding your concerns. One such concern being what it is to be a god.”

Who knew what being a god meant nowadays outside Zeno’s cordon? Asha’rah could only speak to her own experience, now many millennia out of date.

“To be a god as I know us to be is many things. Among them immortality, a vision for reality, and the restraint to resist cultivating unquestioning adulation from mortals. Beyond all these, however, is simply a question of essence. The souls of gods are of a different nature, and through ourselves do we generate the energy to create from nothing or return it to the same. Mortal souls can grow in power, in some cases exceptionally, and they can be gifted with minute amounts of divine energy. But they will never be able to cultivate it themselves. The only way I can think of for this Genesis to wield creation energy as she does would be…”

Asha’rah paused, unseen gears slowly turning under her will.

“If she managed to ascend to godhood without the aid of the existing divine order, or with the aid of gods who have managed to hijack the means of ascension for themselves.”

She shrugged, turning to Ishtar.

“This is mere speculation, however. We know too little of Genesis at present to judge her surely, and I care little for accusations based on convenience. The ability to see and always speak the truth is not so great a gift if every half-known thing is twisted to fit the narrative one desires, if every context besides one’s own is dismissed as irrelevant.”

For as many times, in as many minutes, Ishtar listened, as Asha'rah strove to avoid answers.

Even worse than this, however, were the measures taken to twist the what was directed at her -- what was said, and what was asked -- in such a way that she was merely responding, and defending herself against that which had never been brought to bear against her ... and were it not so disconcerting, the way the former God of Creation all but literally, lied through her teeth; Ishtar might have found it within herself to feel pity. After all, Asha'rah was a dear friend. One who had stood with, and helped Ishtar through troubling times, even offering comfort, and closure when all the golden-eyed Oni had felt was emptiness. Really ... the former God had been listed among her closest companions.

Yet now, in this moment of understanding, there was no pity.

Only an acceptance of a question Ishtar had considered before, that of Asha'rah's true nature.

The original cause of this question, had come about when another question, of whether or not Asha'rah would turn on those she held as 'friend', had been asked.

And like now, the Fallen's response had been ... wanting, at best, "I will not make an empty promise. As an abomination already I have no need to absorb your Hakai abilities. Even if I had such a need, I do not envision ever summoning the will to kill you, even assuming that I would succeed. You mean more to me than Indar'en ever did." Though at the time, given the golden-eyed Oni's concern -- Sasheem and the threat he posed -- the question had not been explored fully. Yet it would not go forgotten, long, as some time later during the events that had preceded Erosa's temporary Death, Asha'rah had offered words that had taken steps to provide an answer to the question:

Quote Originally Posted by Asha'rah, approx. three months ago
    The orbs around Chrona's neck glowed a deep, writhing purple, Hakai energy charged and ready to go, but strictly contained within for now.

"If Erosa dies, I would have compromised myself for nothing, and lost someone I hold dearest to a false promise. The promisor's price of failure shall be exacted. But so too will your life be exacted, being the one who took Erosa in the first place. And the you before, and the you after, and every other version of you that exists will know death. Such will I mark my failure this day."
    A threat to kill another, with Hakai ... A promise even; and a thing Ishtar took very seriously.

And now, thanks to the understanding that had been gleaned as the result of a conversation that had dragged on, and ultimately gone nowhere due to Asha'rah's manipulations ... the question that Ishtar had not the time to consider fully, had most certainly been answered. Her friend was little different from Auroc, a being who on the face projected an air of peace, and understanding, and even love ... but under the surface was little more than a hypocrite drunk off their own honeyed words; and like Auroc, the Oni found her mind made up.

"Asha'rah ..." Ishtar offered, softly, when the former Goddess had finally fallen silent.

"I feel at this point, there is little more for me to say, when you refuse to answer anything directly." The Oni fell silent herself a moment, before sighing. "You baited me back into discourse, by calling for me to 'stand and deliver', and I have done so. Explaining multiple times the issue as I see it, without resorting to -- as you have, yourself -- hiding behind equivocation, a muddying of the water by raising irrelevant questions, and responding to charges and questions no one has raised. Yet you accuse me of twisting things with little regard for what is offered ? You accuse me from arguing from convenience ? ... and why ? Because you feel I wanted this ?"

Ishtar spread her arms, and took a step toward Asha'rah before allowing her arms to fall to their side.

"Were that the case, why would I have bothered with words ?" The glowing-horn Oni sighed, before shaking her head. "I would have simply struck you, until I had exhausted myself ... and perhaps in the end that would have been better. A bloodying of knuckles, and breaking of bones between us ..." The Oni stopped short then when she realized her unintended jest, and a hollow chuckle escaped before she continued on. "... though that would have been one-sided as well, your dearth of blood and bone matching that of your answers, and explanations."

The Oni shrugged.

"Yet instead of that, I returned to offer words in response to your bait in the hopes you might provide answers that would shed insight so we could avoid this crossroad. Yet here we stand, after you wasted time ducking, and dodging, and twisting the narrative to preserve your sense of self all the while projecting what you were doing; and instead of answers to satisfy the questions -- and accusations -- I levied, you instead answered the question I began to ask myself a little more than a year ago ... And what a shame that is. For in the end, it means at the least, to me: that you are little different than Auroc." There was little left to say now, and with that in mind Ishtar offered Asha'rah a sad smile, the anger that had buoyed her voice at the outset now gone and replaced by regret.

After all, how simple it would have been to leave it alone, and allow Asha'rah to continue on unmolested ?

Yet that had never been the Oni's way. To give ground where she would stand, unmoved, without sufficient reason; and given the lack of such provided in this dead-end conversation ... the Oni's path was set. Though there was at least a final offering. "... I have said my peace, and I do not intend to waste more of what little time we have to prepare on continuing this exchange. It has long since fallen into stagnation. Though at the least, know this. There will come a time in which you will be held accountable for the theft of Hakai, and your careless use of it, Asha'rah. One hopes that what you offer then, is better than what you offered now."

Finished then, the golden-eyed Oni allowed herself to fall silent ... and whether or not Asha'rah cared to listen, or simply dismissed her as she had twice before now, it truly mattered little.
    Last edited by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh; 12-19-2018 at 03:57 AM.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Praxat flies off following Megan and while flying says " hmm I been think what if I could develop a technique that could absorb and store opposing Ki. by that I mean store every Ki base attack my body receives and release it all at once in a massive attack?" " I wonder what the drawback of such a technique would be ? " Althena's description of Rebound Flash Boost Counter got me thinking about this."

as Praxat is heading North-West with Megan Cyanna and Dash she thinks about the technique she has in her head saying "I guess such a technique like the one I thought of might have a major draw back." " such a technique might be a double edged sword ." " such a technique probably requires pinpoint control , and if done wrong it might likely would cause one to self destruct. "
    My Forum check it out

as Praxat is heading North-West with Megan Cyanna and Dash she thinks about the technique she has in her head saying "I guess such a technique like the one I thought of might have a major draw back." " such a technique might be a double edged sword ." " such a technique probably requires pinpoint control , and if done wrong it might likely would cause one to self destruct. "
    Cyanna flies next to Praxat, "Meagan can do that, but she had to train hard to learn it. At least six months, I think. And even then she's still working on it. Some techniques can't be learned over night."

Dash slows down a little to join in the conversation, "Ah know what you mean. Ah started learning to fight at age 6 an' ah still have a long way to go.' Addressing Cyanna, "It's seems to me like you Chromaki pick these things up real fast. What's up with that?"

Cyanna shrugged, "I don't think we're all that fast, but if we are it's probably a natural thing. You know, like how Sarada get's all beat up then becomes more powerful afterwards."

Soon the fidn themselves flying over a mountain range. Meagan, motioning to a valley in the center of a circle of mountains, heads towards it.

She waits til all three land before speaking with them.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.