Page 414 of 782 FirstFirst ... 314364404410411412413414415416417418424464514 ... LastLast
Results 6,196 to 6,210 of 11718

Quote Originally Posted by MrSandman View Post

"There are parallels in the annals of mortal history. I understand now. You are a Nazi."
    Zaofan picks up the previously discarded saute pan and fry pan as weapons. "Parsic! You were always a jerk before! But this world has no room for fascists! Punching a Nazi is okay in my book!"

Then Asha'rah vanished. But it wasn't because of some incredible burst of speed like Parsic displayed. She was simply never there. Visions in the Desert. The real Asha'rah appeared to Parsic's side, slamming a metal arm into the void creature's throat and dislodging her center of balance by rolling her around Asha'rah's hip. Then locking Parsic's main arm in place with both arms, she stuffed her hand down Parsic's throat and unleashed the light of creation. Molten chocolate flooded Parsic's mouth, quickly filling her insides to the point of bursting.
    Before engaging, Zaofan tries to process the sequence of events. Well then. It's been well over a year and I can still never get used to things like that. But why could I have been choked out by chocolate instead of chili pepper? Oh well, questions for later.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSandman View Post
    The moment Asha'rah hand ventured inside Parsic mouth to deliver its payload, he felt resistance against his hand....something was pushing against from the inside, and it wasn't her tongue.

What it was became apparent as soon as it wrapped its way around his hand, forcefully pushing the goddesses burning hand from parsics mouth and then continuing further outwards. A shadowy tentacle, wrapped in strong void energy, jerked Asha'rahs arm backwards even as Parsic flexed her own arms and casually broke the grip she had on her. With overwhelming force, the tentacle flipped the goddess through the air and smashed her against the ground before retreating back into Parsics mouth....parsics only response to the affair being a licking of her lips.

".....You lecture me because I pity their flawed existence...? You......are not in any position to. Their flawed existence falls entirely upon your hands, Creator."

Parsic gestures, multiple rifts opening all around Asha'rah as dozens of tentacles shoot forward and snare the goddess.

"Given sentience and the will to strive.....they suffer and die, their works fated to cease even as their souls are recycled. A fluid sphere where nothing can last and you think that giving them the urge to strive for something was a blessing....tell me, when the oni ascends to her role, will you show her the same righteous glare as she unmakes the works of the children who have striven as you wanted?"

The tentacles tighten.

Parsic was not ignorant of the use of time in battle, having worked for several hundred years with one who did the same thing, so the void familiar knew she what was being utilized against her as every blow seemed to slow in proximity to the oni. It was definitely a bother...

"...Your worse then Chrona......." Parsic responded, only a moment before...

...Ishtar struck true. The familiar took the blow, her face cracking like porcelain, and was sent rocketing across the garden, straight through Etrinas house and out the other side even as the force of the shockwave ripped the majority of the building off its foundations.

Zaofan races in a blur from one end of the house to the other, to receive the flying Parsic, slamming down with both pans and sending her 3 feet into the ground. "I like my flawed existence, thank you very much! It adds variety, and variety is the spice of life!"

Then, looking through the holes in the house to see Asha'rah getting choked out by tentacles, Zaofan's eyes narrow. "I've had it up to HERE with tentacles! OPTIC BLAST!"

The blast itself does not match the volume of his voice, thankfully. The steady streams lop off several tentacles, enough for Asha'rah to break free under her own power.

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    Setting himself across from Barlon Bedlam, Ochazuke took a seat upon a rooted platform near a mossy trunk. Sheltered by all else, even the rush of wind, by these ancient boughs, there was almost a perfect silence there.

And so, given the task at hand, he slowly expanded the breadth of his sense-awareness into the area, but pulled himself from his focus for a moment with a middling pause.

"...you don't know how to meditate, do you, Sasheem?"
    "Bah, shut up! Sasheem's meditated before, of course he knows how! It was a requirement in Snake School training in order to master the Naga Palm for instance..." the Majin explained. "It's just...this place. It's got a weird vibe to it."

A positive one. A peaceful one. Detestable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero MKA View Post
    It was over. Between herself, Asha'rah, and Meagan, the Fire Creature had been reduced to a badly damaged head and torso, then turned to ash. Fitting, considering. The creature's rage had led to its undoing, its reckoning rejected.

Sarada let out a deep sigh and slowly lowered herself to the ground. It had been an amazing fight; not just because of how power it was, because of how therapeutic fighting was. It had only been a few days since Parsley died, and that had been all Sarada had been able to think about, other than saving Ishtar. This clash with a supremely powerful being was just what she needed to take her mind off of everything and just... fall back into what was natural.

She needed this.

She didn't say as much because in the end, it wasn't about helping herself feel better, but saving her love. Which had been accomplished. There was only one last obstacle left, in the form of the three elementals standing behind them. They had made no move to advance on them, so Sarada felt she could breathe at least for a little while.

She landed and immediately wrapped her arms around the oni and buried her face in her neck. She didn't weep - there were others there, after all. Like this, holding Ishtar, she felt she could endure anything. She already had, but with someone to lean on, who she knew could and would support her, she could do anything.

Eventually, she released her and looked into her eyes. She wanted to tell her that Parsley was dead right then, but it wasn't the right time. Instead, she smiled sadly and said, "I'm glad you're alright."
    For Ishtar, the embrace was good.

After weeks of wallowing at her state, despite denying death outright, it helped far more to know Sarada was still there. Yet as they embraced, the Oni's broken arm hanging limply now that it was no longer needed; she remained mindful of the Archon of Criostalach, and its siblings ... Though it seemed they had no interest, and were wholly content with watching silent from their vantage point.

Only then, did Ishtar let what tension remain fade away.

"Even if I had not been, I would be now."

There was a ball of pain and regret, thinly veiled however, that seemed to fester at her love's core ... yet with the truth of it unspoken, and only the faintest memory of pain that had woken her from a stupor some days before; now did not seem a good time to dredge it up, so instead the golden-eyed Oni simply offered a softer ...

"I should perhaps, tell you of what happened to bring me here ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Turning to see the three behind them, Meagan wasn't sure of their intentions. One thing she was sure of, was that they had completed what they set out to do. Or at least her and Sarada had. With the Fire Lord no longer a threat, she floated over to where Isthar was and looked for Asha'rah and Sarada. "Anyone need a lift home? I think we are finished here." she said loud enough for all to hear, then looked towards the newest Archons, to see how they react.
    Like Ishtar, Meagan would notice that the remaining Archon seemed uninterested in intervention. Nor did they seem to understand, or otherwise care, that she was speaking about leaving the planet. Though had they understood, Meagan gets the sense that they'd prefer if they left for now ...

Ishtar for her part, simply looks over toward her and nods.

"Leave ? Yes that sounds good ... thank you."
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by KingofPie View Post
    "Bah, shut up! Sasheem's meditated before, of course he knows how! It was a requirement in Snake School training in order to master the Naga Palm for instance..." the Majin explained. "It's just...this place. It's got a weird vibe to it."

Ochazuke inhaled slowly, his posture straightened as his head bowed slightly.

"Indeed there is something which stands apart in this area," he said, "though, why should that of all things deter your concentration?"

"Whether in stillness such as this or before an opponent, to the aware mind, circumstance matters little. Accept the moment, in its totality. Within totality, find your focus, and in complete awareness, the way shall resolve itself..."

So spoken, he sat there. As he did months ago before Balon's legacy held within the Jade Dragon Claw, initiating sublime sense of Kyokushin Keihatsu, Ochazuke fell to silence and sought to examine the moment and unfold the essence within the forest.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    The large lumberjack nods.

“The Bear endures in a fashion. Within this forest it’s lands remain, it’s memory, though the traitors tore away our scrolls and slew or tempted away our students. Still, I am but a humble descendant of the last Bear Grand Master. I have tried to keep the grounds a special, sacred place, awaiting the arrival of Zxu’ro’s chosen, as my father did before me. It seems you have arrived indeed.”

He gestures to the forest around.

“I have no techniques to give, though an essence can be granted by the Forest. Come, sit by the trees and meditate.”
    "Hm, well, that's a twist," Zaofan says to the others. "Still, nothing has been lost from listening to the masters since we began this journey. And, frankly, serenity and clarity would be a nice change of pace. They're things we've been missing in our lives as of late."

With a slight smile and an easy-going stroll, Zaofan comfortably takes his seat, crosses his legs, leans his arms down with wrists on knees, closes his eyes, and becomes perfectly still."

She looks at the others, "Guess this leaves me out." as she leans back against a tree to stay out of the way while they meditate. Being a third wheel was never fun, but she was learning a lot anyway.
    Zaofan opens one eye towards Dash. "Nonsense. Vehicles come in all shapes and sizes according to the needs of the terrain. Three wheels, five wheels, 24 wheels connected by tank treads, whatever. Join us."

The surprise on her face, that he knew she was Horse even though she was sure it hadn't come up, was clearly evident. Then she smiled, shrugged, and took a seat by the trees. Assuming a meditative position, she began breathing deeply, using the techniques taught to her as part of her training to begin calming her mind and body, and to focus. First inward, then outward to the land around her.
    The chef maintains a calm tone, breaking meditation but keeping his stance perfectly still to explain. "One thing that I've appreciated out of each of the schools so far is an... open invitation, and even an encouragement, to apply our knowledge and experiences to these encounters. None of us here are starting from zero. Our foundations are within ourselves. Dash, your knowledge is important and it will carry you far. Do not underestimate it."

Ochazuke turned his glance from the woodman to Dash who set herself apart. Amid the matter of the blooded history that had befallen them, he had silently questioned what Zaofan sought in bringing her along. Hers was a lineage unrelated to theirs. Capable as she was, as he observed her there seemed to be a fundamental disconnect between their aims; the one odd beast out perhaps sought to prove its quality and ambitiously claim its place among storied houses.

"If you willingly separate yourself, you will be left out." he said simply. "What is it you hope to gain here?"
    Zaofan follows through. "Dash, I'd answer the man if I were you. I respect and appreciate that you've accompanied us under your own accord. But one thing I've learned in all my travels is that everyone in the room should be counted and acknowledged. True inclusion. When have you ever known me to leave anyone out of the dinner table?"

"Meditate, huh," Sasheem noted. What he'd much rather do is set this place ablaze...that'd be funny. But he couldn't now. It'd cost him fsr, fsr too much right now. Perhaps meditation would ease this urge to spread chaos...or perhaps it would only be kindling to the fire that was the Majin's ever volatile mindset.

"What are we supposed to be meditating on, exactly?" Sasheem asked.
    Of course, Zaofan gives advice to Dash without paying respect to how that could apply to Sasheem. Old habits die hard, especially old hypocrises. But it's enough for Zaofan to remember that his original friendship with Sasheem was Zaofan's capacity for feeding strangers, and Sasheem's apparent appreciation for cooking and dining, however messy it got. Food would always be a gateway to community, but what is the etiquette to serving one like Sasheem after finding out all he did? For that matter, would Zaofan ever want to learn that etiquette in the first place, to bury the hatchet into fine venison and share a meal with the Majin again?

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    To Sasheem, he responds with “Focus on the land. Find a connection between everything.”

To Ochazuke, he smiles.

“My ancestor was Baltic Bedlam, Grand Master of the Bear Shrine. My name is Barlon Bedlam, his descendant.”

Samson raises an eyebrow.

“Any retaliation to Brutus Bedlam?”

Barlon nods.

“My brother.”
    And that knowledge knocks Zaofan out of his thoughts. His eyes open widely. "Master Brutus! I... I've studied under him! Master Barlon, he -- he's the finest warrior chef I know!"

His confused heart suddenly warms up his battle-fatigued body, to know that a mentor like Brutus would be connected to the Ten Schools, but more personally, to a guardian of the forest. The land truly connects all, as Master Barlon said. The connection delights. This is no mere coincidence. This is proof to Zaofan that he could very well be living his best life, but only if he properly builds upon what has come before.

"Ah figgered this exercise was for you." Dash then looked at him, "Ah hope to gain same as you, as all travelers do. Knowledge, experience, an whatever else comes my way. Ah don't begrudge you gaining more than I do now. Ah may one day gain more'n you, so it evens out. 'sides, we're all in on this together, right? What's gained by one makes us all stronger."
    "...for what reason would you possibly think that? Did Zaofan not tell you anything about what we're doing here?"

A strange conceit, this implicit notion of exclusion. But in the whispers of the Martial world, he had heard some talk of the Horse Clan and the many ambitious colts who sought to run off the plain to take to the skies. Perhaps some were simply born with wings, while others still are denied, he mused. Always somebody searching to ascend upon the backs of others.

"We have, all of us, come to learn," Ochazuke replied, "if it is raw power you seek, you would be better served in one of Pantaloon's chambers or chasing after Parsley to the stars. Yet you are here. Now."

As Dash continued, there seemed to be a curious undercurrent to her purpose. Outwardly she wished to get stronger in solidarity to the group, and yet there was

"Your ambitious mind limits your vision," Ochazuke said, "seeking to measure others against yourself is rude folly, Dash, the pursuit of 'gains' as something you crave, as it would 'even out' some arbitrary balance, is a waste of time."

The history of violence which permeated the world of humanity and doomed its keepers to a long chain of shattered memories left far too much broken and sundered throughout history. The hands that would lead them, whose memory Auroc mysteriously shrank from, was no different."

"No, tether yourself to such paltry notions and you will never be satisfied."
    "Now now Ochazuke," replies Zaofan. "Dash is young and eager. But despite all the rainbows, she's still very green. We were all like that once, in our own youth. Notions of power seem simple to you and me, but the Horse needs to know that power is just one path to attain true mastery. It's too obvious to state that knowledge and power are intertwined, after all."

Zaofan clearly says it with a voice that, while directed physically towards Ochazuke, most definitely carries a tone that is meant intentionally for Dash, to instill into her the true reason of their presence, each and every one. He continues with a smile, "If it seems obnoxious that I'm talking about you, Dash, as if you aren't here, then yes, that is obnoxious of me indeed. But note that if you truly count yourself as here, then I would address you more directly. If you are not our equal, I invite you to join us at the table as one. If you don't feel like you are a part of this collective, I challenge you to initiate. This meditation circle is the sum of our collective, just as your mind, body, and martial style are, in all truth, the sum of your self and your history."

The chef takes a deep breath and smiles with reassurance. "I do not mean to antagonize you though, Dash. If I didn't think you could handle this trip, I wouldn't have accepted your request to join us. Prove me right."

"Sasheem, on the other hand..."

"Sasheem, have you ever just... let your mind wander freely, with no worry and no tension, in order to let it breathe? To let it relax like any other muscle in your body?"

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    For Ishtar, the embrace was good.

After weeks of wallowing at her state, despite denying death outright, it helped far more to know Sarada was still there. Yet as they embraced, the Oni's broken arm hanging limply now that it was no longer needed; she remained mindful of the Archon of Criostalach, and its siblings ... Though it seemed they had no interest, and were wholly content with watching silent from their vantage point.

Only then, did Ishtar let what tension remain fade away.

"Even if I had not been, I would be now."

There was a ball of pain and regret, thinly veiled however, that seemed to fester at her love's core ... yet with the truth of it unspoken, and only the faintest memory of pain that had woken her from a stupor some days before; now did not seem a good time to dredge it up, so instead the golden-eyed Oni simply offered a softer ...

"I should perhaps, tell you of what happened to bring me here ..."
    Sarada sighed. "Tell it to me later. I'd really just like to get home right now." The adrenaline supplied by the throes of combat had ebbed away by then, leaving her in immense pain. It was a struggle to stand on charred legs. Ishtar was no better, her arm hanging at her side like a wet noddle.

"You really like fucking you're arm up, don't you?" She smiled.

Turning to see the three behind them, Meagan wasn't sure of their intentions. One thing she was sure of, was that they had completed what they set out to do. Or at least her and Sarada had. With the Fire Lord no longer a threat, she floated over to where Isthar was and looked for Asha'rah and Sarada. "Anyone need a lift home? I think we are finished here." she said loud enough for all to hear, then looked towards the newest Archons, to see how they react.
    Like Ishtar, Meagan would notice that the remaining Archon seemed uninterested in intervention. Nor did they seem to understand, or otherwise care, that she was speaking about leaving the planet. Though had they understood, Meagan gets the sense that they'd prefer if they left for now ...

Ishtar for her part, simply looks over toward her and nods.

"Leave ? Yes that sounds good ... thank you."
    "Yes, that's a great idea."

Before she would step through the portal supplied by Meagan soon after her agreement, she turned and pointed at the three elementals. "You'll be seeing me again," she declared. She knew that they couldn't understand a word of what she was saying, but the intentions - she hoped - were loud and clear. She intended to return and fight the rest of them. At such a time, she hoped to be much stronger, but only time would tell.

"Alright, let's go home." She wrapped her arm around Ishtar's back and waited for the portal to Chroma to open.
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero MKA View Post
    Sarada sighed. "Tell it to me later. I'd really just like to get home right now." The adrenaline supplied by the throes of combat had ebbed away by then, leaving her in immense pain. It was a struggle to stand on charred legs. Ishtar was no better, her arm hanging at her side like a wet noddle.

"You really like fucking you're arm up, don't you?" She smiled.

"Yes, that's a great idea."

Before she would step through the portal supplied by Meagan soon after her agreement, she turned and pointed at the three elementals. "You'll be seeing me again," she declared. She knew that they couldn't understand a word of what she was saying, but the intentions - she hoped - were loud and clear. She intended to return and fight the rest of them. At such a time, she hoped to be much stronger, but only time would tell.

"Alright, let's go home." She wrapped her arm around Ishtar's back and waited for the portal to Chroma to open.
    With a nod to the watching Archons', Meagan held out her hand and summoned her 'Key' to it. With a slight twist to her wrist, the key unlocks the portal. A motion with her hand then widens it enough for all of them to pass through. Speaking to Sarada, isthar, and Asha'rah, "Follow me through quickly, I'll take care of the rest." With that, Meagan steps through the portal, to find herself back in the cavern beneath the Temple. Aside from an emergency light and the glow from the gateway, the room was darker than usual.

Stepping to the control panel, she makes some adjustments to the settings in order to keep out the intensely heated atmosphere, and then looks up to the top of the stone staircase to wait for the others to join her.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    "Sasheem, have you ever just... let your mind wander freely, with no worry and no tension, in order to let it breathe? To let it relax like any other muscle in your body?"
    "Yeah, and usually when Sasheem came to, everyone around him was a corpse," The Majin with a slightly bemused expression as he took a seat on top of boulder that to begin his meditation. "Look, just know of any of you can pull this off, Sasheem can without a doubt do just the same and make it look better!" He stated, as he finally closed his eyes and exhaled.

"Now now Ochazuke," replies Zaofan. "Dash is young and eager. But despite all the rainbows, she's still very green. We were all like that once, in our own youth. Notions of power seem simple to you and me, but the Horse needs to know that power is just one path to attain true mastery. It's too obvious to state that knowledge and power are intertwined, after all."

Zaofan clearly says it with a voice that, while directed physically towards Ochazuke, most definitely carries a tone that is meant intentionally for Dash, to instill into her the true reason of their presence, each and every one. He continues with a smile, "If it seems obnoxious that I'm talking about you, Dash, as if you aren't here, then yes, that is obnoxious of me indeed. But note that if you truly count yourself as here, then I would address you more directly. If you are not our equal, I invite you to join us at the table as one. If you don't feel like you are a part of this collective, I challenge you to initiate. This meditation circle is the sum of our collective, just as your mind, body, and martial style are, in all truth, the sum of your self and your history."

The chef takes a deep breath and smiles with reassurance. "I do not mean to antagonize you though, Dash. If I didn't think you could handle this trip, I wouldn't have accepted your request to join us. Prove me right."
    Ochazuke exchanged a weary look with Zaofan, exhaling slowly, followed by a sharp inhale.

"Then allow her to act as she will, don't patronize her" he said. "Everyone is searching for a path. Can you give it to her?"

His hands lay against one another, fists bound knuckle-to-knuckle in his lap. With the next breath he unfolded them, a lotus blooming to touching fingertips before him.

"To change the course of this world, we who share a common root have our duty before us, to learn, protect, and preserve the legacy," he said. "If she wishes to gain something, then that is a matter for Dash to decide alone, to find her own way. Nobody else."

He turned his gaze to their companion next.

"But all of us will gain nothing if we do not venture beyond your limits. More than one-hundred thousand animals exist on this planet, each has found their place. It is no secret why humanity observes them for unspoken answers."

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

With a nod to the watching Archons', Meagan held out her hand and summoned her 'Key' to it. With a slight twist to her wrist, the key unlocks the portal. A motion with her hand then widens it enough for all of them to pass through. Speaking to Sarada, isthar, and Asha'rah, "Follow me through quickly, I'll take care of the rest." With that, Meagan steps through the portal, to find herself back in the cavern beneath the Temple. Aside from an emergency light and the glow from the gateway, the room was darker than usual.

Stepping to the control panel, she makes some adjustments to the settings in order to keep out the intensely heated atmosphere, and then looks up to the top of the stone staircase to wait for the others to join her.
    When the portal opened, Sarada took one last look at the dead abyss that was Tatenen. It had been a hell of an adventure, this planet. She could hardly wait to return!

Once through, she noticed the temple was darker than it was when she and Meagan left. Or, had it always been that way and she was just to anxious to notice? Regardless, it was odd, but Meagan didn't seem overly concerned, so Sarada let it slide.

She breathed out and relinquished her Hitozaru form. Her shoulders sagged. "The more I use that form, the more I screw myself up," she muttered to herself. She needed another way to buff her power without such a detrimental consequence. Anaxam could only be used once, and Hitozaru was too risky. Guess this gives me a goal in my training.

She walked up the stairs to join Meagan.
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Barlon smiles widely.

“Good. When you see Brutus again tell him it’s time he visited. He hasn’t brought his kids around in a year or so. Too busy cooking. Heh, always a wanderer he. Even stuck with the Bedlam wrestling style instead of the Bear. Anyways, let us meditate.”

The big man kneels by a tree and places a hand on it, closing his eyes. Breathing deeply, as the rest do so too, a peace and calm fills the clearing.

Balon feels it first, a connection that flares to life. He, Ochazuke, and Zaofan travel that connection and through it feel the forest truly for the first time. A genius loci of sorts, a collective mind woven between the trees that is immensely strong. The filtered ki in each plant and tree and animal combined to form an immense strength.

For Sasheem, he finds whispers in his mind. Faint traces of long lost fighters that do not think he should be here. But he pushes on. Stubbornly, he pushes into the meditation and finds faint traces of something. Following it, he discovers a small pool of power slightly different from what the others find.

For Dash, a voice speaks to her.

‘Though not a Bear, you are descended from it, young colt. Distantly your blood is tied to Bedlams, and through him, to me. A boon I grant you, Horse daughter. May it serve you well.’

———————

Balon, Ochazuke, and Zaofan have learned the Bear’s Strength: When activated, they may draw upon the genius loci of any place (the surrounding energy) to enhance their physical strength by 3x (this is the companion piece to the Wolf’s Prowl). Not their powerlevel, but their actual physical strength.

Sasheem, you have learned the Bear’s Claws: You may grow bear style claws from your hands, but each is more dangerous than a catchin blade as far as sharpness goes. They can also combine with your Venom Mist, you think, to act as a poisoned claw attack.

Dash, you learn the Bear’s Endurance: You have found a way to absorb ambient energy to refuel yourself. When wounded or tired, you may absorb energy from the world around you to refuel and restock (sort of like the Spirit Bomb, only it replenishes your ki instead of gathers it into an attack).

————-

“You will need to train with these gifts for a bit before you head to the Phoenix Shrine. What you learn there will be challenging, and you will need to master these gifts before you go there.”
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Energy? From Terra? Sasheem expressed shock that that husk of a world had any energy left to give off. Interesting, though. As for this assailant, he was apparently a martial artist in his own right. One who reeked of a dark, demonic ki. Also interedting! The old man had introduced himself respectfully enough, so Sasheem figured he'd do the same.

The Majin bowed. "Sasheem. Sole survivor of the Snake School," The Majin stated before looking back at Zaofan. "And Zaofan? Heh, he's so worthless, I barely qualify him as an enemy," the Majin cackled, folding his arms. "So, what's the deal with this Terra energy stuff, anyway? You know it comes from a dead world, right?"
    Even though Shingen's face is mostly covered by his helmet and face mask, Sasheem would see his eyes widen in sincere amazement. "Sole survivor, eh? I had heard rumblings of the Snake School, but ... I simply assumed its students would be just as secretive as its namesake. But your presence, with the amazing powers on this palace, I've no reason to doubt you. I respect survivors. I really do." He approaches Sasheem almost congenially. No rush, no excitement, but of interest and conversation, with his hand out. "May I have a seat?"

Before he does, though, he looks back to see his double -- at half of the original's power -- trading blows with Zaofan. Though the battle in the background is more even, the half-Shingen still has the upper hand. "Excuse me, though. That Zaofan! He's so insufferable, isn't he? 'Do this,' 'moral that,' 'saute, shake, bake-blah-dee-blah." Shingen then separates himself yet again, forming another clone at 1/4th of the original's power. "Go help your better self."

The other-other Shingen nods and speeds off into battle with Zaofan. In the distance, Sasheem could overhear impact, and then Zaofan's yell: >BAM!< "DAMMIT!"

The congenial Demon Lord Shingen continues with Sasheem. "'Where were we...? Oh yes, 'Terra,' was it? Is that what that other world is called? Hm, it sounds so... ordinary. But I digress. You see, throughout all creation, and I suppose in other Earths now, everyone has a type of blood energy. An invisible force. Almost like ki, but much more basic. Normally it's nothing to write home about, but whenever someone or something kills something else, they usually gain a type of experience from it. That experience is itself a boost of power, if properly tapped. Demons thrive upon it. Vampires harness it directly and biologically, as an actual food source. The blood of demons contains power. The blood of humans and aliens contain that power. And that experience is one reason why, say, serial killers and despots are so dangerous, even at mundane, human power levels -- killing becomes an addiction. Proof of power and might. They think of new ways to kill. The urge, the rush, the satisfaction -- the desire for that energy is what you and I would call bloodlust. Now, imagine a magician or a ki-user or a weapons dealer developing that knowledge and innovation? The blood on their hands wouldn't just be metaphorical, but it can manifest as well!"

"Now, here's the fun part. If someone kills a lot of people, they should, logically, be able to tap into more of that power. But let's say that you find that killer, and kill him in turn. One can always say that justice has been served. But notions and understanding of justice and injustice are insufficient. You kill that killer, and it doesn't matter if you did it in the name of good or according to the laws of man -- you now have a connection to all that energy the killer had accumulated. It just hasn't mattered much because humans have such a limited understanding of blood energy. This is why blood magic itself is not as common place as fighters that rely on ki. Anyone who knows blood magic does not practice it haphazardly. Oftentimes it takes several magicians to tap into it properly. But high enough demons don't have that problem."

He then turns to Sasheem with a slight, but deep and unsettling giggle. "Zaofan escaped me earlier, so my other selves are making him pay. But I'll tell you about him -- he was one of my students. A very disappointing student, but I'm sure you could already deduce that. I'm always looking for new students -- Sasheem, was it?" Shingen makes eye contact with Sasheem to further the point, but then continues. "Zaofan is doused in blood energy. So are you. So are the others on this blasphemous place. Like getting out of a swimming pool with all your clothes still on -- you might not have taken a drink of the water, but it's still dripping all over you. Now, the boy protested. Said he wasn't a killer. But now I am starting to think that he was telling the truth. He said that you all spent a short time in that world, but that world must have been devastated --global genocide, infinite war, mass destruction, constant and eternal death -- in order to coat all of you like that in residual energy. And, better yet, I sense two immense sources here as well, much stronger than everyone else, even though their ki signatures are much weaker. I would hazard a guess and say they are... natives of that world? Natives that crossed over to our world, eh? I would like to ask them how to get back. If I can get there, perhaps my partner and I can tap into all that blood energy. And who knows where we go from there? I would like to find out."

With very amicable, approachable, but still respectful body language, Shingen tells Sasheem. "You yourself. I cannot say that I know anything about your body, but let me tell you -- you seem to be swimming in blood energy. Absolutely engrossed in it. And I must say, I like what I sense in you. Unlike Zaofan, you don't seem like a bothersome pest. You are as real as they get, aren't you?"

From behind, Toh Magoh would feel an incandescent burning immediately behind him, the heat resolving itself with a baleful killer intent that - perhaps - felt harrowingly familiar.

"Cheh."

Ochazuke - freshly emerged from a solitary bout of training - extend his finger, effortlessly poised to loose a Dodonpa into the stranger, and though the latter may have sought refuge in the bushes, there was some external force from branch and foliage that seemed to bind him*, even a simple turn of the head would be hindered.
    Despite his time in captivity and the strain of Zaofan's flight, Toh Magoh's heart skips several beats nonetheless. "Who dares...!"

"Cowering while garbed in a master's silks. Under the circumstances it appears you've already prepared to die," he said, examining him and this new threat through the expanse of his meditation field.

The burning glow began to swell behind him, far too familiar, and all too near.

*a variant of The Woven Path
    Toh Magoh raises his hands, his voice shivering as he recognizes the unique sound of the charge up. "Whoa whoa WHOA!" A Dodonpa...?! HERE?!"

The old fraud turns slowly, as calmly as possibly, to face the attacker. "Peace, brother! Peace, fellow Crane! I-I-I am one of you!" Toh Magoh cautiously brings his hand forward, clumsily attempting to repeat the hand gestures of martial brotherhood -- something he hasn't had to do in years (or was it decades?). Eventually he completely fumbles the greeting, and he takes a deep breath in frustration.

"I am a guest of Zaofan's! He brought me to ...well, whatever this place is! I am his sensei! Taught him everything he knows! Yeah, that's it! H-he brought me here to help him!"
    Last edited by Cyke; 11-12-2018 at 10:58 PM.

Ochazuke exchanged a weary look with Zaofan, exhaling slowly, followed by a sharp inhale.

"Then allow her to act as she will, don't patronize her" he said. "Everyone is searching for a path. Can you give it to her?"

His hands lay against one another, fists bound knuckle-to-knuckle in his lap. With the next breath he unfolded them, a lotus blooming to touching fingertips before him.

"To change the course of this world, we who share a common root have our duty before us, to learn, protect, and preserve the legacy," he said. "If she wishes to gain something, then that is a matter for Dash to decide alone, to find her own way. Nobody else."

He turned his gaze to their companion next.

"But all of us will gain nothing if we do not venture beyond your limits. More than one-hundred thousand animals exist on this planet, each has found their place. It is no secret why humanity observes them for unspoken answers."
    Zaofan responds to the Crane's weary look with a smile of refreshment. "Ochazuke, brusque as usual! But, as always, your words are carefully chosen, and with pinpoint validity, of course. Everyone searches for a path; while we proceed with ours, we can always show the paths that are available to others. Whatever Dash chooses is indeed up to her."

He then turns to Dash. "Doubting yourself is itself a limit. A powerful one, at that. Imagine beyond it, and then venture past it. Dare yourself to succeed. Power and strength can be good, yes, but that is just one stop on any given path. Whatever path you embark, choose your routes and turns according to your truths. And only you know what those truths are."

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    The first to reach the Archon held firmly in Ishtar's grip, the Fallen God set about to bludgeoning the Lasair with severed legs and battered orb; and coupled with the ice she sought to use, to strip what strength remained away ... the Archon of Lasair began to slow, and harden.

Seeing -- and sensing -- that Sarada was about to release a proper Galick Gun, however, the Oni shoved Asha'rah's tosro out of the way and held the Elemanti firm ...

It realized all at once, and all together too late, what was coming. Staring down at Ishtar then, the Archon sputtered a parting word. <Our fire has cooled ... I see now the cost of this reckoning ...>

And at this, the wounded Oni simply sighed, and relaxed her grip slightly.

<... For what it is worth, I am sorry. I did not know, or intend for ... this.>

Managing a chuckle, the Archon of Lasair allowed its now stony shoulders to sag, and in the instant before the Galick Gun struck them both, the Archon offered a final thing.

<... that will have to do for now, Oni.>

The Death Bell sounded, the Galick Gun cut through the distance between Sarada, and its target almost too fast to see, and held firm, the beam. struck enveloped both the Archon, and Ishtar before detonating.

By the time the dust settled, Sarada and the others would see that all that remained of the Archon's physical form, was its torso, and arms attached to a badly damaged head ... with Ishtar yet holding on, with a look of, perhaps, regret; also she was no worse for wear ... the Galick Gun catching her full on, seeming to have little effect.

Yet it seemed its physical annihilation was not yet finished ...

As badly damaged as the body now was, the Archon of Lasair's physical form cracked from the pressure and then all at once was turned to ash; and though the land around them continued on as it had for thousands of years -- smoldering, and racked with molten overflow from the unseen volcanic furnaces below -- a silence now settled in, and with it a simple understanding.

The Archon of Lasair had been defeated.

With time now to catch their breath, they'd quickly realize that there were yet three presences at their back, and were they to turn they would see the two familiar Archon, of Sand, and Ice; alongside an imposing third, seemingly comprised of nothing but crystal.

Thankfully however, it seemed like they had no interest to approach quite yet ... at least not until the group had sufficient time to recover.
    And with that, the immediate battle was over. Asha'rah slung her battered legs over each shoulder as she slowly began putting herself back together. Lower spine, missing servos, gears, microchips, the physical trappings of her astral prison. Ishtar, for her part, seemed regretful beneath her everpresent clarity as she conversed with the elemental. It was a remnant then, another victim of Ishtar's rampage upon Illargi all those years ago. When they were done, Asha'rah moved to tend to the oni's wounds as well, tending to her most dangerous injuries first.

"You know Ishtar, if you wanted to make this area a regular vacation spot for us, you could have just asked."

Astonishing Member

-----

Heavy footsteps land on the pristine floors of the sun-lit Lookout as armored boots make contact. A majestic cape flapping in the wind marks the arrival of Ryu Shingen, the Demon Lord Shogun.

He draws out the Oni Sword, a curved blade forged from the fang of a giant Oni, and he drags the blade across the ground, causing sparks to fly out. He looks around the plaza and crystal blue skies, attempting to lock on to the signatures of the Terra natives.

"!!!"

A momentary glance behind him isn't fast enough to save him from the devastating attack of the Pressure Kicker, hitting at 15 times the speed of a certain flying chef. The Demon Lord Shogun is knocked to the other side of the plaza, but he flips forward and lands on his feet. He sees his opponent Zaofan, dissipating the field but breathing heavily, and also dropping Toh Magoh, dizzy and disoriented from the speeds. Shingen readies his sword into fighting position.

Zaofan takes in large gulps of air, and he steadies his shaky legs. Extending his fist forward, he calls out: "BOOOOOJACK!" His trusty katchin bo staff materializes out of its capsule, and the chef swings and twirls it left, right, above, and then pointed forward. "SHINGEN! You know, normally I like it when my old friends meet my new friends, but I'm afraid I can't let that happen."

The Demon Lord Shogun's echo voice resonates even in the open area of the Lookout. "Your friends are from another place. They're foreigners. They're already more interesting than you, dear boy. And I intend to meet them, thank you very much." He swings his sword expertly, no move wasted, into his fighting stance. And with that, both fighters explode in white auras, and charge each other, the Oni Sword and the Katchin Bo Staff clanging and sparking off each other. Zaofan swings in wide circles and combines swings with leaps, with Shingen blocking and parrying from all angles, on the defense thanks to the Wolf's Prowl. Thus, the battle is joined in earnest.

However, while Zaofan now has the speed to compete with Shingen, he does not have the matching strength. Shingen begins applying more pressure to his blows, and even if Zaofan blocks them, his muscles are strained that much more. Shingen thrusts the blade forward, to which Zaofan tips his torso to the side to dodge it cleanly and slams one end of Bojack into Shingen's armored chest, pushing him back and dragging his feet against the floor. With his left hand, Shingen then swings his blade so that he holds the handle upside down, blade to left forearm. He crosses that forearm and fist up to his chest and parallel to the ground, while his right forearm presses perpendicular to the left, creating a cross, and two of his fingers on his right hand point up. "Chou Ninpo!" His sword blade glows red. He raises the sword overhead, and slashes downward. "SHIPUZAN!"

A red and white energy wave crashes against Bojack. Zaofan swings down to meet it, and though the wave splinters apart from the katchin, an energy shard slices his upper right arm, creating a bloody wound. Shingen extends his left hand and reddish-purplish energy begins to seep from Zaofan's wound -- Blood energy drain at work -- until his hand is shot aside by Zaofan's Optic Blast.

Zaofan holds onto his wound. "You homicidal maniac! That's why I left you in the first place! This world has no place for your style of martial arts and bloodletting!"

Shingen brings his left hand to his face, smelling the residual blood energy through his face plate. "What would I care if this world has a place for it or not? It's served me just fine all this time. There is purity to the blood. To the Hokuto Shinken. It is direct. It is effective. It is most certainly glorious. Deadly? Of course. But efficient nonetheless. That is the path to power. Your path, like your cooking, is destined to burn away, dear chef." He makes a cross with his forearms and his two right fingers extended up again. "CHOU NINPO: DAI HINATAMA!" recoiling his cupped hands backwards and jetting them forward, palms forward and fingers stretched out, a large fireball flies to Zaofan.

"SCARLET SHIELDO!" For a split second, the ruby field flashes in front of his chest, reflecting the fireball back at the Shogun. Unfortunately, the Shogun yells back, "HAKKEI NO HO!" A blood-red field likewise emerges around him, reflecting the fireball once more at Zaofan, detonating on the ground in front of him and sending him flying back and into a wall, covered in smoke.

Toh Magoh peeks out from the Lookout's bushes. I don't know what this place is, or what Zaofan's gotten me mixed up into, but he's still no match for Shingen! What if I find his two friends and deliver them to Shingen?
    The Nevadian tossed and turned in his bed, placing the covers over his head, as he attempted in vain to drown out the vocal assault on the lookout. He place the Pillows over his head, he attempted to Meditate, he counted backwards, he counted forwards. Just when he had succeeded in blocking out the voice, the striking of steel and the heat of battle disturbed what little peace he had obtained yet again.

The voice continued on, talking about something the Nevadian was not quite able to parse through his hangover from yet another booze filled excursion. In truth, it was less the booze--he assumed--and more the attempts to drug him that had taken their toll on him, having him feel almost like a shell of his former self, even days later. While the Nevadian admired a competitive spirit that did all it could to stack the deck in its favor, he couldn't help but feel animosity towards someone who would pull such a cheap trick. And with Nevadian Ale, no less.

Not in many moons, had the Nevadian known such suffering, the very life drained from his body, his thoughts scattered and jumbled, his head pounding like a jackhammer.

And through it all, someone, something, not only refused to shut up, they seemed to be getting louder, and louder, and louder.

Who the fuck is that? I don't recognize the voice, let alone the attack names....

Groaning to himself, the Nevadian focused his senses, hazy, but even as he was, quite precise.

Zao...And.....I don't know the other one though....But....Shit....

The Nevadian rolled to the window of his room with a grunt, his eyes tortured by the rising sun.

Zao's Powerlevel is way too high for his normal style of training, and he sounds pretty pissed off...

The Nevadian's eyes narrowed as his sight confirmed what his senses had led him to suspect. Zaofan was bleeding, a look of focused intensity as he faced off against a large foe, looming and massive, almost towering over his opponent as the traded attacks.

The malevolent feeling of the energy the being used was a sharp contrast to Zaofans own Ki, adding to the unease Held felt towards the man, and within his own impaired body. But, if nothing else, he was certain that this was not someone that Zaofan would consider a friend.

Jeez, Zao...What have you gotten up to?

Held groaned at his lot in life, his body protesting as he forced himself out of bed, steadying himself with his spear. He couldn't very well leave his comrade to face whatever nonsense found its way to the lookout alone, could he?

No. Well, he could, but the guilt would plague him far longer than whatever had afflicted his system would.

Held took a deep breath, clearing his mind, focusing on nothing but the battle ahead, before vaulting through the open window, his shoes touching the ground with a soft thud.

This sucks, but you have this Held. This is nothing.

Gallop!

The Nevadian moved in a blur of motion, dashing to the source of the commotion.

.....let's just try and wrap this up quickly, I feel like I'm going to vomit all over the lookout at any moment if I stay upright too long...