Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I liked most if it except he had that one story where Sue went skinny dipping in Wakanda when T'Challa joined her unexpectedly. This was one of those "between the panel" stories I suppose when takes place when the FF first went to Wakanda during the Lee/Kirby run. Having just been married and on a delayed honeymoon at the time, I thought Aguirre-Sacasa did a terrible job with both characters in that scene. Sue should have been more forceful in objecting to his trying to seduce a married woman. I never really considered his Fantastic Four canon anyway so I just look at it at alternate reality versions of the characters.
    It's not canon and that was definitely one blemish on great characterization. If Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa never did that terrible story it would be the perfect version of Sue for me. So I just omit that particular story lol.
    He did great with making the Sue/Namor dynamic what it truly is, a pushy creep who can't take no for an answer and her being tired of him and Reed fighting over her like an object. It's a shame he decided to add the silly Black Panther thing that was completely unneeded.

Other than that the MK Sue was amazing, she was competent, intelligent, fun, not a nag, and powerful. He always showed how powerful she was instead of just telling us she was powerful. This is one of my favorite moments from the run because it says everything about Sue and how Reed sees her in a page and a bit.

I would say that run is a must read for anyone interested in Sue, just skip issue #21 with the Black Panther crap.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

That's a good example and as you say, it's best to just forget that issue with BP. Also, as part of Marvel's effort to push Emma Frost being one of the good guys, she was part of the group that Sue was getting together with. Alicia, Sharon Ventura and I think Jennifer was there. But Emma?? I couldn't think of any time they ever even met. She was just there to provide the snark.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    But Emma?? I couldn't think of any time they ever even met.
    Here.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Thanks Grim Fandango, But those are relatively newer comics. They also met in an X-Men comic that took place in the Savage Land, around the time Doom was wearing his Future Foundation colors. The story from Marvel Knights 4 took place shortly after Unthinkable IIRC since Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa was originally going to replace Mark Waid on the FF. But fan outcry caused Jemas to reverse the decision. That was around 2003.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-08-2018 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    MCU Captain America and Iron Man are the best portrayals of these characters.
    i at least partially agree. i think cinematic tony was at his best in the first Iron Man movie. i think that was RDj trying his hardest to play a character. the success of the performance let him inject more of his real life personality into the character. Evans became Steve Rogers and pretty much maintained his performance, for contrast. that's not to say that i wasn't entertained by the later versions of Tony.

I really like the way DNA portrayed Nova Prime Richard Rider.

Steranko's Nick Fury

George Perez's Beast (Hank McCoy)

McGregor & Russell's Killraven

Ellis' Norman Osborn

Robinson Scarlet Witch
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 05-08-2018 at 05:40 PM.

Bachalo's Chamber

Jones & Johnson's Wonder Man

Kirby's Machine Man, followed by DeFalco & Windsor-Smith/Trimpe

90s animated series - X-Men, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, She-Hulk

Avengers (Earths Mightiest Heroes series)

Blade (Wesley Snipes)

Punisher (Thomas Jane)

Grummett's Joystick

Remender's Archangel

Gerber's old man Vance Astro

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

I think that Warren Ellis's Black Widow is my all time favorite characterization of hers. Not only is she just really good at what she does (in a way that shows in an ensemble), she has the space to be really witty and cynical and sharp. She has a classy, worldly appreciation for The Finer Things In Life that resonates really well with her history as a socialite and globetrotter. She's smart and can pick up on things really quickly, but she has this sense of being Tired With Everything that kind of ties into her age. She stands out from other people like Steve and Sharon very clearly. Also, Ellis is really familiar with the roots of her character. He picks up on the way she draws from Modesty Blaise stories, and the idea of the unending grief she has from outliving everyone close to her (she's the Black Widow).

It does help that the one story he wrote about her was easily the best in his Secret Avengers run, but it was also a really good take on her character specifically.
    Marjorie Liu and Devin Grayson are close behind him.

Ditko's Speedball, followed by Nicieza & Bagley

Firestar (from the "Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends" cartoon)

Cyclops (from X-Men: Evolution)

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Grummett's Joystick
    are you talking visuals or personality?