Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 175
  1. #1
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    151

    Default Who were the OTHER Golden Age heroes?

    So we all know the big three: Captain America, Namor, and the Human Torch, as well as the sidekicks Bucky and Toro. And while there are countless other heroes that Timely Comics ran with, I'm interested in knowing who was officially made a part of the Marvel universe via crossover.

    The Angel, I know, had a couple crossovers with the characters. Then they created the All Winners Squad, where they crossed over with Miss America and The Whizzer.

    In Avengers #97, Rick Jones had an illusion of several Golden Age heroes, including Captain America, Namor, the Human Torch, The Angel, The Fin, The Vision, Blazing Skull, and The Patriot. Despite the big three's presence, the visions are referenced as being of fictional characters. I suppose in Cap and the big three's case, ,hey are representations of the comic versions of the "real life" heroes, so this could, in theory, work for the others, but it's unconfirmed.

    Then there's the Invaders, which retroactively crossed over many characters. This series included, according to Wikipedia, Blazing Skull, The Fin, Silver Scorpion, The Vision, Blonde Phantom, Thin Man, and Citizen V and the V Batallion.

    It also created, retroactively, Union Jack and Major Mapleleaf.

    So...am I missing anyone? Or any other crossovers of the characters that I did mention?

  2. #2

    Default

    not sure if it's what you're asking for but a lot of the golden agers appeared in Spencer's Ant-Man run. his boss is Mary Morgan who was one of those heroes; Miss Patriot. she holds parties for the other heroes (and a few villains); those who survived.

    http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Ant-Man:_Last_Days_Vol_1_1

    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 05-07-2018 at 06:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    I thought I couldn't love Steve Rogers any more than I already do, but here he is, eating pizza with a fork, just like I do (the only correct way to eat pizza

  3. #3
    FF purist/snob CaptCleghorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    5,837

    Default

    There was this series as well. Worth reading.



    The Twelve are:[7]

    The Blue Blade
    The Black Widow
    Captain Wonder
    Dynamic Man
    Electro
    The Fiery Mask
    The Laughing Mask
    Master Mind Excello
    Mister E
    The Phantom Reporter
    Rockman
    The Witness

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Twelve_(comics)

  4. #4
    Ultimate Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    19,645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slimybug View Post
    . . . It also created, retroactively, Union Jack and Major Mapleleaf.
    And you forgot Spitfire?



    There were also the members of the Liberty Legion (though you've mentioned some)



    And from the team The Crusaders (who were counterparts to DC's Freedom Fighters), the created "Spirit of '76" (William Nasland) would go on to (retroactively) be the first to replace Steve Rogers as Captain America, while the created "Dyna-Mite" (Roger Aubrey) would later take over the role of The Destroyer.



    But, really, that's barely the tip of the iceberg!

  5. #5

    Default

    I've said it before, I'll say it again: Marvel needs to bring back the Golden Age Black Widow, and give her a solo. Even just a maxi-series or something. A Depression-era psychic who collects evil souls for the devil? Come on, that's a fantastic premise. Give her a series where each issue has her stalking a different victim, showing their evil and their humanity, and then she comes in and kills them. Sometimes, she also helps out their victims. And you can have a young woman she helps in the first issue follow her around, wanting to get close to her, wanting to help her feel again, while the Widow is just irritated at her, but eventually warms up to her. And I'd probably have it end with them as lovers, but that might just be me.

    Either way, the Golden Age Black Widow is an amazing character and I want to see her get her due.

  6. #6
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    151

    Default

    Thanks to the awesome Marvel Unlimited app, I recently finally read Marvel Comics #1 for the first time. It includes a western hero named The Masked Raider, who has an entry on the Marvel wikia as being a part of 616, though I didn't see any reference to any specific issue that officially makes him a part of 616.

  7. #7
    Tyrant Sun User leokearon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Waterford, Ireland
    Posts
    2,007

    Default

    Some of the Eternals were Retconed to be active in WW2. Makkari for example was the Hurricane


    Present Day


    The Hurricane
    Check out my Deviantart Page: http://leokearon.deviantart.com/

    Vote for your favourite Marvel Supporting Characters: http://community.comicbookresources....ing-characters

  8. #8
    Ultimate Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    16,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    There was this series as well. Worth reading.



    The Twelve are:[7]

    The Blue Blade
    The Black Widow
    Captain Wonder
    Dynamic Man
    Electro
    The Fiery Mask
    The Laughing Mask
    Master Mind Excello
    Mister E
    The Phantom Reporter
    Rockman
    The Witness

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Twelve_(comics)
    Three of those have modern day legacies. Black Widow is obvious. Electro, of course, is a Spidey villain, unlike the original who was a heroic android. The other name used in recent history is Mastermind Excello, which was actually Amadeus Cho's codename before he became the Totally Awesome Hulk.

  9. #9
    Ultimate Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    19,645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    Some of the Eternals were Retconed to be active in WW2. Makkari for example was the Hurricane
    Also don't forget that "The Hurricane" was eventually revealed to be the same as "Mercury" (who was in Red Raven Comics #1 originally).



  10. #10
    Ultimate Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    16,749

    Default

    Ugh. The writer there did not do the research, did they? The Odinson is NORSE, not GREEK! Mercury is meant to be the son of ZEUS (aka Jupiter), not Thor. The earlier strip even includes Jupiter, so how the heck did the later writer get it wrong?

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slimybug View Post
    So we all know the big three: Captain America, Namor, and the Human Torch, as well as the sidekicks Bucky and Toro. And while there are countless other heroes that Timely Comics ran with, I'm interested in knowing who was officially made a part of the Marvel universe via crossover.

    The Angel, I know, had a couple crossovers with the characters. Then they created the All Winners Squad, where they crossed over with Miss America and The Whizzer.

    In Avengers #97, Rick Jones had an illusion of several Golden Age heroes, including Captain America, Namor, the Human Torch, The Angel, The Fin, The Vision, Blazing Skull, and The Patriot. Despite the big three's presence, the visions are referenced as being of fictional characters. I suppose in Cap and the big three's case, ,hey are representations of the comic versions of the "real life" heroes, so this could, in theory, work for the others, but it's unconfirmed.

    Then there's the Invaders, which retroactively crossed over many characters. This series included, according to Wikipedia, Blazing Skull, The Fin, Silver Scorpion, The Vision, Blonde Phantom, Thin Man, and Citizen V and the V Batallion.

    It also created, retroactively, Union Jack and Major Mapleleaf.

    So...am I missing anyone? Or any other crossovers of the characters that I did mention?
    The Red Raven appeared in an issue of the first run (1960s) of The X-Men.

    I think the Challenger is/was a member of Freedom Force during the Fifty-State Initiative. Not sure how he came to be active in present-day America.

    The Black Marvel is dead now (I think), but was the brains behind the Slingers.

    Sandy Hausler

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I've said it before, I'll say it again: Marvel needs to bring back the Golden Age Black Widow, and give her a solo. Even just a maxi-series or something. A Depression-era psychic who collects evil souls for the devil? Come on, that's a fantastic premise. Give her a series where each issue has her stalking a different victim, showing their evil and their humanity, and then she comes in and kills them. Sometimes, she also helps out their victims. And you can have a young woman she helps in the first issue follow her around, wanting to get close to her, wanting to help her feel again, while the Widow is just irritated at her, but eventually warms up to her. And I'd probably have it end with them as lovers, but that might just be me.

    Either way, the Golden Age Black Widow is an amazing character and I want to see her get her due.
    I would love to see the Black Widow, the Phantom Detective (of whatever his name is now) and Mastermind Excello in a book doing whatever they do in Mastermind Excello's detective agency. I thought that would be a natural follow up the The Twelve.

    Sandy Hausler

  13. #13
    Tyrant Sun User leokearon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Waterford, Ireland
    Posts
    2,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Ugh. The writer there did not do the research, did they? The Odinson is NORSE, not GREEK! Mercury is meant to be the son of ZEUS (aka Jupiter), not Thor. The earlier strip even includes Jupiter, so how the heck did the later writer get it wrong?
    Mercury was created by Martin A. Burnstein and Jack Kirby while the Hurricane was Joe Simon and Jack Kirby. Still the Hurricane lasted longer that Mercury
    Check out my Deviantart Page: http://leokearon.deviantart.com/

    Vote for your favourite Marvel Supporting Characters: http://community.comicbookresources....ing-characters

  14. #14
    FF purist/snob CaptCleghorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    5,837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Three of those have modern day legacies. Black Widow is obvious. Electro, of course, is a Spidey villain, unlike the original who was a heroic android. The other name used in recent history is Mastermind Excello, which was actually Amadeus Cho's codename before he became the Totally Awesome Hulk.
    Yes, the names of the characters may be the same as modern counterparts, but these were different characters.

  15. #15
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    Some of the Eternals were Retconed to be active in WW2. Makkari for example was the Hurricane


    Present Day


    The Hurricane
    Markkari has been playing hero all through the 20th century. First as Mercury than as the Hurricane in WW2. He also returned in the 1960's as a member of the First Line under the name Major Mercury. He finally just started using his real name in the modern day.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •