Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

They introduced 3 heroes in the X-Men books that were active in WW2 who latter went on to join Mystique's Freedom Force team. They are Stonewall, Crimson Commando, and Super Sabre. Stonewall and Super Sabre are both dead last I knew, but Commando is still around though he is a cyborg now after suffering some major injuries on the same mission that Super Sabre was killed.

Last edited by Zero Hunter; 05-08-2018 at 10:20 AM.

Ultimate Member

Of The Twelve, I wanted Rockman's 'delusional' backstory of being from a subterranean society to turn out to be true after all, and have something to do with the Deviants, perhaps. (With him being one of those rare human-looking Deviants? Or perhaps an offshoot of the Atlanteans whose outpost sank into the earth, instead of the sea?)

Unfortunately, I suspect that if such a place were to be introduced, it would probably get blown up, like Red Raven's special flying city full of winged Inhumans.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Ugh. The writer there did not do the research, did they? The Odinson is NORSE, not GREEK! Mercury is meant to be the son of ZEUS (aka Jupiter), not Thor. The earlier strip even includes Jupiter, so how the heck did the later writer get it wrong?
    If you want to get that technical, Mercury is NOT "the son of Zeus" since the Greek equivalent of Mercury is named Hermes.
    (It would be Mercury and Jupiter in the Roman myths.)

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    They introduced 3 heroes in the X-Men books that were active in WW2 who latter went on to join Mystique's Freedom Force team. They are Stonewall, Crimson Commando, and Super Sabre. Stonewall and Super Sabre are both dead last I knew, but Commando is still around though he is a cyborg now after suffering some major injuries on the same mission that Super Sabre was killed.

[img]https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/marveldatabase/images/f/fb/Uncanny_X-Men_Vol_1_215_Direct.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130913072028" alt="Image result for Uncanny X-Men

[img]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-h8Ihb0WQ6BQ/UpYjerH8_SI/AAAAAAAAS0c/ONrHd-tYZOI/s1600/Old+Soldiers.jpg]
    I'm not sure that Frank Bohannon is still alive. He was depowered. And his body was unable to handle his cyborg parts because of it. He was last seen trying to force Hope to report him.

Another good series that talked about/revamped early Golden Age heroes/histories is The Marvels Project from 2009-2010 by Ed Brubaker and Steve Epting.

And a great collection with reprints of first appearances of many of the old Timely Golden Age heroes is Marvel Firsts: WWII Super Heroes .

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

I kinda wish that Marvel would do a JSA for the older geros and legacy characters from that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    I kinda wish that Marvel would do a JSA for the older geros and legacy characters from that time.
    They sort of do from time to time every now and then when they try and revive The Invaders. Last run was in 2014-2015.

Oh, and another retconned "Golden Age" Marvel character is King Azzuri, the Black Panther during World War II.

Other "Golden Age" characters created during the Invaders run from the 1970s were the Human Top (Davy Mitchell) and Golden Girl (Gwenny Lou Sabuki)

Those names had been used by before by Timely comic book characters.

The original Human Top was Bruce Bravelle, who first appeared in Red Raven Comics #1 in 1940.

As for the original "Golden Girl", she was Betsy/Betty Ross. She became Golden Girl in Captain America Comics #66 (April 1948) and wound up replacing Bucky as Captain America's partner.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I really liked the 2004 New Invaders series that was made up of US Agent, Blazing Skull, Union Jack, Spitfire, Namor, Thin Man, original Human Torch, Fin, Tara, and Nia Noble. It only last 10 issues, but it was a very solid run.

really lessens the impact of Steve Rogers being put on ice when almost every other hero that fought in the wars is still active. and people complain about the current crop of heroes never aging.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    really lessens the impact of Steve Rogers being put on ice when almost every other hero that fought in the wars is still active. and people complain about the current crop of heroes never aging.
    But, remember, there are various reasons for some being around still. Jim Hammond (Human Torch) was a non-human android; Namor is a mutant Atlantean; Spitfire got a blood transfusion from Hammond (and later was bitten by a vampire); Blazing Skull has mystical origins; etc.
    As for some others, there are still WWII vets that are alive in the real world, though they'd be in their 90s or older these days. (My Dad would have been 92 in September if he was still alive.)

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Other "Golden Age" characters created during the Invaders run from the 1970s were the Human Top (Davy Mitchell) and Golden Girl (Gwenny Lou Sabuki)

You may notice a costume similarity there. The 2014 All-New Invaders series was set in the present - hence why Sam Wilson joined the team at the end of the run. One of the other team members was Radiance - granddaughter of that Golden Girl.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

But, remember, there are various reasons for some being around still.
    that doesn't change my point. you can always think of a reason for a character to be around. it's a comic book.

Quote Originally Posted by joebleau View Post
    Finish the damn all-winners Squad band of heroes
    Agree completely!

Though, unfortunately, I don't know if writer Paul Jenkins and/or artist Carmine Di Giandomenico would still be willing to work for Marvel if any additions or changes are needed.