Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Also among the Golden Age heroes Rick recalled in Avengers #92 (September 1971) was this one (towards the lower right side of the panel):

Who I can only guess represents Jethro Dumont, once better known as The Green Lama.
    The character started out in pulp magazine stories

And then later appeared in comic books, such as his self-titled series published by Spark Publications beginning in 1944.

The Green Lama, too, has since appeared in AC Comics books like FemForce and in Dynamite's Project Superpowers.

Getting back to this:
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    . . . A few months earlier there was this in Avengers #92 (September 1971):

which appeared to include quite a few Golden Age heroes that weren't from Timely/Marvel.

(The one I'm not 100% sure about is the one just below and to the right of Captain America, though I'm guessing that might be the Fantom of the Fair from Centaur.)
    The "Fantom of the Fair" was originally from Centaur's Amazing Mystery Funnies, first showing up back in 1939.

And later, when Roy Thomas was working with many of the Golden Age characters at DC, he decided to use the "Phantom of the Fair" in some of his stories there (such as in his revised Golden Age Sandman origin story).
    This is from Who's Who Update '87 #4 (November 1987):

Another Timely/Marvel character was Vagabond, in reality a police officer named Pat Murphy who disguised himself as a character named "Chauncey Throttlebottom III"
    He first appeared in U.S.A. Comics #2 (November, 1941).

And in 2011, he was included in the (never finished) series All-Winners Squad: Band of Heroes.

In All-Winners Squad: Band of Heroes, they tried to retroactively introduce "Captain Flame".

I guess technically we could include Wolverine as one of those "retconned Golden Age" heroes.

The recent Marvel Comics Presents #1 features yet another story that places Logan in that time period.

Mighty Member

The Golden Age Angel was back-written as the initial source of funding for Scourge in Gruenwald's (really stupid) "USAgent" series from the 1990s. (It was a good idea, badly done.)
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

In addition to the ones listed in post #1:

American Avenger
    Black Marvel
    The Black Widow
    Blue Blade
    Blue Blaze
    The Blue Diamond
    Breeze Barton
    Captain Dash
    Captain Terror
    Captain Wonder
    Challenger
    The Defender
    The Destroyer
    Dynaman
    Dynamic Man
    Electro
    The Falcon
    Father Time
    Fiery Mask
    Flexo
    Golden Girl
    Hercules
    Invisible Man
    Jack Frost
    Laughing Mask
    Magar
    Major Liberty
    Makkari
    Mantor
    Marvel Boy
    Marvex
    Masked Raider
    Merzah
    Miss Patriot
    Moon Man
    Mr. E
    Mr. Wu
    Monako
    Namora
    Phantom Bullet
    Phantom Reporter
    Red Raven
    Rockman
    Roko
    Secret Stamp
    Spirit of '76
    Sun Girl
    Terror
    Thunderer
    Vagabond
    Venus
    Whirlwind Carter
    Witness
    Young Avenger
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 06-18-2019 at 05:27 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    The Golden Age Angel was back-written as the initial source of funding for Scourge in Gruenwald's (really stupid) "USAgent" series from the 1990s. (It was a good idea, badly done.)
    Just a reminder as to the storyline that was in Marvel Knights: Spiderman several years ago - issue 9 showed many of the golden age heroes and golden age villains were actually paid by the Federal Govt. to BE heroes and BE villains. Was an interesting insight into why there were so many random "scientists" and villains popping out of the woodwork in the 30s and 40s.

Boisterously Confused

You go thru the list, its surprising how many names the Silver Age Bullpen recycled (i.e. Falcon).

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    You go thru the list, its surprising how many names the Silver Age Bullpen recycled (i.e. Falcon).
    Especially with the 1940s Vision looking similar to the 1960s Vision:

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Ugh. The writer there did not do the research, did they? The Odinson is NORSE, not GREEK! Mercury is meant to be the son of ZEUS (aka Jupiter), not Thor. The earlier strip even includes Jupiter, so how the heck did the later writer get it wrong?

It says son of Thor and the last descendent of the Greek gods so maybe his mom was a greek diety.

Mercury's father was Jupiter (Zeus) in Greco-Roman mythology. His mother was Maia (whose name wasn't changed by the Romans). They definitely mixed up Thor and Zeus.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_(mythology)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I was actually going to say Falcon is Bronze Age, but you're right, he just scrapes into Silver with his 1969 debut.

They still bring back golden age names in more recent times of course, for example, Miss America. There wasn't one in the 60s onwards... then a 50 State Initiative hero took the mantle in the late 2000s, and then America Chavez showed up a few years later (the previous one recently became Ms Fantastix).
    Last edited by Digifiend; 06-18-2019 at 11:56 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Mercury's father was Jupiter (Zeus) in Greco-Roman mythology. His mother was Maia (whose name wasn't changed by the Romans). They definitely mixed up Thor and Zeus.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_(mythology)
    I was actually going to say Falcon is Bronze Age, but you're right, he just scrapes into Silver with his 1969 debut.

They still bring back golden age names in more recent times of course, for example, Miss America. There wasn't one in the 60s onwards... then a 50 State Initiative hero took the mantle in the late 2000s, and then America Chavez showed up a few years later (the previous one recently became Ms Fantastix).
    Are you sure it is the same Mercury? The way the box is written it sounds like He was descended from both families of gods. I have never read the stories so I don't know if in books he is stated to be the traditional Mercury or not. I think he as retconned to be an eternal later, which is funny given the eternals movies is rumored to be connected to the greek gods.

If they were thinking Thor was Zeus the and makes no sense.

I'm sure that Marvel also drew quite a bit from Centaur Publications as well, as in 1941, Centaur Publications had a character called Black Panther.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I guess technically we could include Wolverine as one of those "retconned Golden Age" heroes.
    Marvel has a number of immortals and long-lived types. I also tend to think about origins of power, whether that be an external cosmic force like the Uni-Power, supernatural beings like Zarathos, or even items of power like the Orb and Eye of Agamotto, or the Ebony Blade. You'd like to think that there was a host for Uni-Power back then, even if he/she wasn't called Captain Universe; or a Ghost Rider (I'm certain there was, considering we've seen versions of GF that pre-date WW2); or perhaps even an active Sorcerer Supreme or Black Knight running around. I think there are more undiscovered heroes out there with stories just waiting to be told.

And that's without even considering long-lived heroes from other worlds, like Gladiator. We're told that he didn't come to Earth until relatively recently, but mind wipes happen all of the time. Maybe there's a forgotten tale or two there.

That's the beauty of Marvel's "history." It's always fluid. And considering the possibilities is always fun.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin