Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    50% is half of the entire movie output. That's majority, untouchable power and influence and literally the beginning of monopoly.

Except it's not just about "making lots of money". Disney already uses strong-arming tactics to force theatre owners to give a larger cut for their films or to keep their blockbusters on screen for a longer time at the expense of other films. This in turn drives up ticket pickets in addition to making things harder for the competition.

I guess you could always pirate Disney films too but in this case it would directly affect individual theatre owners more than Disney itself.
    I don't like Disney's strong arming tactics but that's still not an monopoly or even start of one. Disney controls a large portion of the American Blockbuster market but that's it you're negating midlevel films, the indie market, and the whole international Market every developed nation on Earth has it's own film industry. The logic that Disney is a monopoly for releasing most American Blockbuster is the same as saying Blumhouse Productions is a monopoly for currently putting out most American Horror Films.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I don't like Disney's strong arming tactics but that's still not an monopoly or even start of one. Disney controls a large portion of the American Blockbuster market but that's it you're negating midlevel films, the indie market, and the whole international Market every developed nation on Earth has it's own film industry. The logic that Disney is a monopoly for releasing most American Blockbuster is the same as saying Blumhouse Productions is a monopoly for currently putting out most American Horror Films.
    I've mentioned Hollywood movies before, and so far, Hollywood movies are the biggest revenue generating movie industry (though apparently Disney has been sinking its tentacles into other industries too like Bollywood). Also, indie and midlevel movies have been struggling at the box office with most people selecting to watch only blockbusters in theatres. And I literally explained how Disney acquiring majority of the shares will only amplify their strong-arming tactics, which in turn will lead to a monopoly, but I'm tired of arguing semantics with you over and over again on different topics, so let's just call it a truce as it's pretty apparent neither of us can come to a point of agreement no matter what the topic.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    I've mentioned Hollywood movies before, and so far, Hollywood movies are the biggest revenue generating movie industry (though apparently Disney has been sinking its tentacles into other industries too like Bollywood). Also, indie and midlevel movies have been struggling at the box office with most people selecting to watch only blockbusters in theatres. And I literally explained how Disney acquiring majority of the shares will only amplify their strong-arming tactics, which in turn will lead to a monopoly, but I'm tired of arguing semantics with you over and over again on different topics, so let's just call it a truce as it's pretty apparent neither of us can come to a point of agreement no matter what the topic.
    It would perhaps make things easier if you learned what a monopoly actually is so at least everyone would be discussing the same thing.

There is no good solution in this situation, imo. Disney, Comcast and FOX would all be terrible owners. Comcast, as the sole entity standing to gain a monopoly, is the worst, though.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...cid=spartandhp

And with that the Disney comcast war is on!

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

We are in for some dark times.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...cid=spartandhp

And with that the Disney comcast war is on!
    Yeah its gonna happen and even Comcast seems ill-suited for what is ahead. There should be a provision written that if a company does do a buyout like we saw with AT&T and Time Warner , that company if they go into bankruptcy must TOTAL LIQUIDATE ALL ASSETS . Ok you wanna spend money like drunken sailors....well best learn a price will be paid if you can't pay your bills down the line.

How fast would you see companies hit the brakes ?
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

I don't really care how this ends because Disney gets the Marvel stuff back one way or another.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I don't really care how this ends because Disney gets the Marvel stuff back one way or another.
    If they lose the bid, they don't get the Marvel properties.

Disney is expected to push back and really counter this one. And in the article its more a personal anger that Disney rejected Comcasts bid to own them back in mid 2000's. As someone said Comcast could total themselves and push the total debt of a deal they make way past $100+ billion dollars to do this possibly. Hurting themselves with that amount of debt.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    If they lose the bid, they don't get the Marvel properties.
    Fox can't sell the Marvel stuff. If they sell assets, the revert back to Marvel, now Disney. Fox selling to the Mouse is the only way the recoup a loss or get a profit share from future X-men, F4, etc. related IPs.

EDIT TO CORRECT:

I dug deeper. I was partially right and partially wrong.

If sold to Disney or Sony: Fox will cease to exist, meaning the rights revert to Disney.

If sold to Comcast or Verizon: Fox will continue to exist as is but under a new company leading it. Since Fox still exists, Fox still owns most of the Marvel rights and they will not revert.

There's also the scenario of: 21st Century Fox disbands 20th Century Fox and sells it off in pieces, or they forbid the new owners from allowing it to continue under the Fox name to prevent confusion with Fox News and Sports. Then that could make the contract void since the Fox movie studio that was the legal entity the contract was made with, no longer exists. And all the rights go back.

Regardless, Fantastic Four is owned by Constantin and used Fox to distribute movies but they're bankrupt and the FF rights will end up back at Marvel anyway.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 06-13-2018 at 02:30 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

I'm sure Disney prepared for something like this and atleast had a vague idea of how much they were willing to spend to buy Fox.

Guess we'll get to see just how far Disney is willing to go to do it.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

As a comic book fan I hope Disney wins out and obtains Fox. That's where I am with it. I also think there will be less detriment to me as a consumer with Disney buying Fox, versus Comcast buying Fox.

Quote Originally Posted by LegendOfTheAngryBlonde View Post
    I'm sure Disney prepared for something like this and atleast had a vague idea of how much they were willing to spend to buy Fox.

Guess we'll get to see just how far Disney is willing to go to do it.

Disney has the reputation , money and stock to make the deal. Its just how far they'll go with it. Some are saying they'll push the deal over $100 billion.