Astonishing Member

Default Crossgen Question re Negation War

I loved Crossgen comics, it was a universe I was immediately drawn into. My favorite titles were The First, Negation and Scion but I also enjoyed Solus, Sigil, Crux and Sojurn. The crowning epic to tie all of these good books together was the Negation War which was a White Walker like invasion that forced the heroes of this universe to band together for survival. Unluckily the company went bankrupt before it finished. This being the most active and populated comics board I frequent, I was curious if any one knew how it ended? I have asked a couple of creators associated with Crossgen at the time and they either legit didn't recall or maybe it was sour grapes over a payment issue. It is like an unsolved mystery to me. Disney bought the rights but have next to 0 interest in the property so asking you guys may be the only way to know how it ends. I fear I might never know the end of Negation War like I might not ever truly know the end of Game of Thrones/Song of Ice and Fire.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    I loved Crossgen comics, it was a universe I was immediately drawn into. My favorite titles were The First, Negation and Scion but I also enjoyed Solus, Sigil, Crux and Sojurn. The crowning epic to tie all of these good books together was the Negation War which was a White Walker like invasion that forced the heroes of this universe to band together for survival. Unluckily the company went bankrupt before it finished. This being the most active and populated comics board I frequent, I was curious if any one knew how it ended? I have asked a couple of creators associated with Crossgen at the time and they either legit didn't recall or maybe it was sour grapes over a payment issue. It is like an unsolved mystery to me. Disney bought the rights but have next to 0 interest in the property so asking you guys may be the only way to know how it ends. I fear I might never know the end of Negation War like I might not ever truly know the end of Game of Thrones/Song of Ice and Fire.
    Interview with Tony Bedard: https://toddmatthy.com/2016/10/05/cr...h-tony-bedard/

Main thing to take away is:

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Bedard
    Like I said, the Lawbringers would have wiped out the First. Also, Evinlea, who had abandoned the First to join forces with Charon, would have killed Samandahl Rey, star of SIGIL, apparently depriving the sigilbearers of their leader. But Obregon Kaine would have taken up his mantle and just when it seemed there was no way to stop Charon, Kaine would have made contact with Appolyon, Charon’s rival who had been banished to a hellish pocket dimension. Kaine would have learned that Charon and Appolyon were originally humans who had been empowered by an experiment that attempted to recreate an ancient Atlantean experiment that made the Atlanteans Danik and Solusandra into godlike beings. He would have also learned there was a way to reverse that process. It all came down to Kaine tricking Danik and Charon into facing each other in personal combat in Appolyon’s Hell-dimension. (By the way, Appolyon was “The Adversary” often referenced in ROUTE 666). Once Danik and Charon get there, Kaine sets off a bomb that dis-empowers them both, turning them back into human and Atlantean. Then Kaine beats them both within an inch of their life with a toilet. You can see that toilet floating in space in NEGATION WAR #1 among the remnants of a planet that gets destroyed in that issue. I’m not kidding. He beats them with a toilet. Kaine leaves them to the tender mercies of Komptin, his nemesis from NEGATION, with whom he’s finally reconciled. The End.

There's also this more thorough outline on the old CrossGen forums: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/cgfo...nding-t10.html

It's really a shame about Crossgen.
    They had some of the highest quality comics at the time, covering a wide variety of genres.
    And the creators were doing a bang up job.

If it wasn't for them making very bad financial decisions, they would likely still be around today.

And, no, Disney/Marvel really have no interest in the properties. They were likely just snatched up to prevent someone else from getting them and posing a threat later.
    Most of the books, like Sojourn, Mystic and Ruse had some pretty strong followers.
    If they had landed at Dark Horse, for example, they would've likely outsold most other Dark Horse titles. Especially if they continued the narratives set in the Crossgen books which were still available in trade.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Astonishing Member

Duskman thanks so much for the link, I have been wondering how that story would have ended for ages. Sounds like it would have been epic.