Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Swing and another miss to me. The Iron-Man stuff just really rubs me the wrong way. If it was any other hero, I'd probably be fine with it. Ie-I find the X-Men movies entertaining even though they mutilated their comic history.

I had such high hope for this movie, especially after Tom Holland's debut in Civil War, but the movie just fell flat for me, apart from Keaton's Vulture. Way too High School Musical-ish for my tastes and, worst of all, I just felt like Spidey never really delivered in the fight scenes. I mean, it just felt like he was on defense the whole time versus the Vulture and seemed outclassed/outmatched the whole way. And the whole "renaming" characters was just confusing and annoying----call him Ganke, that's not Ned Leeds, and instead of "Liz Allen" give that girl her own name----I have no idea why they felt it was necessary to do that, it just made the narrative confusing for long-time fans of the character and newer fans wouldn't know the difference so just give them other names.

I hope the sequel is better but, right now, I have enjoyed his appearances in Civil War and Infinity War much more than in Homecoming.

I really wanted to like the movie, after all the hype, and I did like it, but I also went away kinda disappointed with it as it wasn't as great as every person hyped it to be. Tom Holland is fine as Pete, but I do prefer Toby. Keaton as Vulture was great. I felt like they over did the Iron Man Spidey Suit aspects as well as too much Iron Man idolization in general. Pete is about Uncle Ben and family and it seemed to lack THAT. Was too focused on all things Iron Man which just was distracting to who this character is imo. Overall, I even enjoyed the two Garfield as Spidey Movies even more than this. I did like Holland as Spidey in Cival War...so I was confused how Homecoming was not as good as it should have been. I think it just veered too much with the focus on Iron Man James Bond gadjets and less on Peter Parker / Spiderman. The MJ change and Ned change was ok but also took me out of the movie a bit. Marissa Tomei as Aunt May I can handle but just blah in her role not much going on for her to do. Uncle Ben doesn't barely exist in his mind, only Tony Stark...ultra odd. But again The Vulture was interesting to me visually and in Keaton's acting
    Last edited by farmernudie; 05-09-2018 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post

I hope the sequel is better but, right now, I have enjoyed his appearances in Civil War and Infinity War much more than in Homecoming.
    Just read your post after posting..and despite seeing Infinity War twice I had not thought of Spidey in that also..and I DID laugh and enjoy him in that movie also. So I'm not entirely sure why he kinda annoyed me in his own movie. I guess it was the story choices and Iron Man focus there. He came off more as a Iron Man/Batman boy wonder in Homecoming and less like Spidey I guess. But yes I enjoyed ALL the characters in Infinity War although Bruce relying on Iron Man armor was kinda bleh...we don't need Hulk and Spidey and every character being an Iron Man offshoot. Although, the iron Spidey suit (with appendages) didn't bother me as much as the smart suit in Homecoming did.

It was a good movie I loved Vulture and May but I hated the Iron Man mentor stuff, the a.i. and fake Ganke.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

I think if I'd never read the comics I'd be fine with it! They do a good job executing their vision.

But as far as I'm concerned, they've kind of emphasized the superficial elements and plugged them into what feels like a different hero's story.

"My" Peter Parker is an inherently decent human being, but also kind of an ******* from time to time. Not like Tony Stark level or anything but he can be arrogant and standoffish when it comes to working with others. At least that's how I prefer him. He should have a bit a chip on his shoulder.

Holland's Peter is so thoroughly heroic that I have trouble seeing him let the burglar pass by in the first place. And I don't get the impression that he struggles with doing the right thing. It just seems to come naturally, like doing anything else would never occur to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    What would make a great Spider-Man movie?
    I'm not entirely sure.

I think each of the iterations has done something best. The Raimi movies have the pathos and just completely steer into being a comic property the way the others don't. MCU has a Peter the conveys the wonder and awe best I think . . . as well as incorporating a deeper canvas through the school (as much as people may not like MCU Flash, it's really the only version that's done more than just acknowledge the character exists), and Garfield/Stone had a chemistry the others don't.

Someon's just got to figure out the alchemy to get all that into one movie in a coherent way.