Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Default If You Wrote Comics: Thor

In light of his return as the one and only and his new hammer and arm I decided to pull the trigger. So welcome to another If You Wrote Comics thread this time we are going to discuss Thor, Prince of Thunder. As always just imagine if Marvel gave you full reign to do anything you want to Thor, his supporting cast, and rogues gallery. And maybe find a new direction and undo a mistake or two leftover from the previous writers. As always have fun. And this time the first thing I would do is no Jane Foster Thor it was a lucid dream she had. Thor's name is not a mantle.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

In my case, it's pretty clear.

First of all, I will give a very important role to Amora the Enchantress (from bad to good) with a disciple (Sylvie Lushton) that makes Amora recovers what she lost the day Skurge the Executioner died, return to Walt Simonson days of what he wrote Thor giving all the characters the same development and treatment, Thor is the only one worthy to wield Mjölnir with full strengh and power. Lorelei is not an enemy of Asgard and I will make her to marry Sigurd and form a family. New threats and pantheons, less cosmic stories and earth things and more Asgard. Loki will be a mixture of his old days and new days like what Ewing tried to do.

The Valkyrie has an important role and I will make her to live with a new one from the MCU (more or less, make the Valkyrie from Exiles, a part of Thor stories without forgetting the blonde loved one that we knew).

Thor is in my top 3 Marvel characters, so I will give it a shot.

I would use the JMS characterization, while I enjoyed Aaron’s stories, mostly for the art, Thor was not very heroic in it. Even Jane, I felt like throughout the run, she and Thor were struggling to much. (Not referring to her cancer battle)

My Thor would be triumphant.
    He would go through the usual heroes journey. My Thor would sway more to fantasy and less of his sci fi aspects.

I would also mix in a lot of Sif, and Warriors 3. I would probably want to see less Odin, so I take him off the table early. As far as interacting with other Marvel heroes, I would use that sparingly, but would use Cap, Stark, and maybe some Xmen (Dani, Magic, Logan, Storm)

Gotta have a love interest or 2,

I would shoot for a 5 year run, and the last year ends in a 12 issue Ragnarok story where I throw in everything I can.

My artists would be the Kuberts and one shots by Copiel
    Last edited by Nick Miller; 05-08-2018 at 03:57 AM.

BANNED

Tying into Jane being a legacy, Loki's recent struggles and the type of 'mythical' stories Thor books are expected to hold, this run would all be about traditionalism vs advancement, both in the modern world and in ongoing narratives.

The main characters would be Thor (Jane Foster) and Loki. They wouldn't be working together, but rather going through dual narratives, one high fantasy, the other urban drama, that would overlap thematically and, eventually, the plots would come together.

Jane's main supporting characters would be Sif and the Warriors 3 and Hulk (Amadeus Cho), while Loki would end up having to keep Odinson and MCUValkyrie as company.

The big bad of the run would be Absorbing Man, who would be given the ability to absorb a new type of material: stories.

I will fix the damage that Aaron has done to Thor makes sure he never writes Thor again what he done to Thor and Odin as characters pretty much destroyed them he wrecked Thor history and lore with unworthy story as for myself he made Jane unlikeable character that I never what her to appear in Thor book again. But the worst thing he did make Thor name into a Title that Jane can use and only now with Jane permission can Thor start use his name again what nonsense is that even more nonsense seeing people refer to him as Odinson use his name Thor, I never disliked a writer or even character then I do with this book.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I would probably do a book with a main Thor plot and a short Journey into Mystery subplot. I would use villains from other religious Pantheons like the Aztec, Japanese, Egypt, etc., some cosmic threats like Jibraxas and Ego and the regular baddies like Blastaar, Juggernaut.

Already have ideas for some X-Men crossovers. First we have a team-up with Sunfire because the goddess Amaterasu resurrects Sunfire's sister to be her vessel on Earth to battle Susanoo.

Then in a later story arc, Odin and Bast trick Thor and Black Panther into retrieving a weapon from a forgotten god they fought in the past and while they're away the Journey substory would be Stormcaster Ororo, BP Shuri and Sif defending Wakanda from Ulik and his troll army since he wants Vibranium to forge an anti-Asgardian weapon.

Finally, the last X-over would be that the prayers of the mutants caused them to create their own god and Thor, Stormcaster Ororo and Sunpyre have to deal with it.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    The big bad of the run would be Absorbing Man, who would be given the ability to absorb a new type of material: stories.
    This should give the Absorbing Man new life and to be taken seriously aside from being some muscle head.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

First of all, Thor would get an arm not made of gold, is just ugly. Then I would take him on a journey to learn how to use his powers without needing Mjolnir. I would try to fix Thor and Odin relationship, have Thor learning from his father, things like magic for example.
    I would also explore his birth mother Gaea and how that make him different from the other Asgardians. Probably would make an arc where the Mother Storm is revealed to be a villain and have Thor defeat it and show that he is The God of Thunder. And have a moment when he lift Mjolnir, but put it down, because he doesn't need the hammer, actually to him it would be just a weapon made of Uru without any powers beyond that.

Quote Originally Posted by zoch View Post
    I will fix the damage that Aaron has done to Thor makes sure he never writes Thor again what he done to Thor and Odin as characters pretty much destroyed them he wrecked Thor history and lore with unworthy story as for myself he made Jane unlikeable character that I never what her to appear in Thor book again. But the worst thing he did make Thor name into a Title that Jane can use and only now with Jane permission can Thor start use his name again what nonsense is that even more nonsense seeing people refer to him as Odinson use his name Thor, I never disliked a writer or even character then I do with this book.
    yeah, this.

I would do one big announced reboot after all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    First of all, Thor would get an arm not made of gold, is just ugly. Then I would take him on a journey to learn how to use his powers without needing Mjolnir. I would try to fix Thor and Odin relationship, have Thor learning from his father, things like magic for example.
    I would also explore his birth mother Gaea and how that make him different from the other Asgardians. Probably would make an arc where the Mother Storm is revealed to be a villain and have Thor defeat it and show that he is The God of Thunder. And have a moment when he lift Mjolnir, but put it down, because he doesn't need the hammer, actually to him it would be just a weapon made of Uru without any powers beyond that.
    Thor actually has some magic.

he has illusion magic that he showed during League of Realms (surprisingly Aaron run).

he also has Earth powers which he inherited from his mother.
    Last edited by GodThor; 05-08-2018 at 02:57 PM.

I would like to do a story where Thor quits the Avengers and takes off for a little while traversing the cosmos and other realms.

iMan 42s

New weapons, new powers, same god.

I would have him take on some more elements of his mythology like the Iron gauntlets and belt. I may or may not remove the missing arm but regardless I would use said arm and armor it up with all manner of gear. I like to think that Thor might at some point take on some elements of his friends and coworkers on the Avengers.

-Iron Gauntlets while Iron man inspired would give Thor the ability to channel his lightning powers
    -The belt would channel more of the Odinforce through him or perhaps be a way for him to start building his own power to unleash on bigger threats
    -He may not need the original Mjolnir as he could perhaps alternate in combat with both Janborn and a variant of his hammer using Asgardian magic to call them to him, perhaps through magic fusing them?
    -Through Captain America inspiration, his robotic arm serves as a conduit to summoning spells, perhaps even forming components of his arm to create Viking (Agardian) shields.

At the cost of this power he gets blinded in one of his eyes but gains the knowledge to do all of this. While this isn't present in his god form, it is when he reverts to that of Donald Blake. Now weak and disheveled with a bad eye, Donald may wander off and or get his alter-ego into bigger trouble. Donald Blake would take on aspects of Thor that he left behind in his "teenage years". The drinking, partying, and bluster, would all come back to haunt Thor and serve as a reminder that Thor wasn't always so valiant. Donald may also manifest to Thor while in his god form but in a way that Thor can't properly distinguish. Perhaps he can interact with the environment one day but suddenly can't and maybe Thor might "project" Donald onto a villain or ally. Like a mystical way of his subconscious processing how to defeat a villain or talk down a criminal or friend.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    I would like to do a story where Thor quits the Avengers and takes off for a little while traversing the cosmos and other realms.
    that would be nice as well.

with Hercules or Bill.

Amazing Member

He'd be doing some classic adventuring as far away from the Avengers as possible. I'd take him off Midgard, and spend the time travelling the realms again. I'd have him adventure in Asgard, Alfheim, Vanaheim, Nidavellir, Jotunheim, Svartalfheim, Hel, and Muspelheim. Also, in the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe from the '80s, there is a great map of the continent of Asgard that just screams for stories.

There are so many great characters from the past that I would like to focus on again, and put a spotlight on the mythology. Like bring back Frigga, Freyr, and Freyja, and try and undo the 'Fear Itself' and 'War of the Realms' stuff that totally changed the core characters from Thor's background.

I would also love to do a Rocket Raccoon, Groot, and Thor series. I thought they blended well together, and the thought of Rocket walking in to an Asgardian mead hall to get plastered is too good to pass up.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_1981 View Post
    ... return to Walt Simonson days of what he wrote Thor giving all the characters the same development and treatment, Thor is the only one worthy to wield Mjölnir with full strengh and power.
    Wasn't it Walt Simonson who established that Thor wasn't the only one worthy of wielding Mjolnir? In fact, didn't Odin bend the rules to keep his golden boy in possession of the hammer? Bill clearly beat him in battle and was sufficiently honorable to wield the hammer. That's probably where I'd pick up the story with Thor having lost the hammer decades ago -- an eternity by Thor fans' standards -- only without Odin creating a second hammer. Thor also loses Sif, who joins Bill on his journey never to return to Asgard.

Many, many years have passed and Thor is nowhere to be found. One day Heimdall notices that there is a strange phenomena just beyond his sight on the distant edge of existence. It flickers and decays like a twinkling star. Or a solar flare. It takes Heimdall long days to figure out what he's seeing. And then the revelation. The periodic flicker is not some remote star. It is phantom light -- the light of lost souls -- reflecting off fragments of broken Mjolnir. In the vast darkness Heimdall is finally able to make out the mutilated body of Beta Ray Bill and Sif's death mask...and he screams!!!
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 05-08-2018 at 10:49 PM.

I think I'd put a strong focus on the Thor/Loki relationship. Meaning a whole lot of Loki absolutely trolling Thor. He'd keep getting Thor into all sorts of ridiculous trouble, for his own amusement, but also so that Thor can stop threats he wouldn't even have known about otherwise. But there'd still be plenty of love between them.

Also, Loki being gender-fluid would be shown, by having her take female form whenever the mood strikes her.

Also also, Angela and Sera would show up. Sera and Loki would immediately take a liking to each other, to the great concern of Thor and Angela.