Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default is there any current marvel writer on the level of Alan Moore

in terms of legacy and greatness of writing

i feel like David F Walker is it, but what do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by Random4 View Post
    in terms of legacy and greatness of writing

i feel like David F Walker is it, but what do you guys think?
    Moore had a singular talent to find details within a concept and expand those to create a wonderful and powerful story. I can't think of anyone comparable now, but I'm not up on many marvel writers. I'd certainly be interested in others' ideas, though.

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

None, Marvel currently has no writer of that level or close to it in my most modest opinion.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_1981 View Post
    None, Marvel currently has no writer of that level or close to it in my most modest opinion.
    what about David F. Walker, he is a great writer

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Random4 View Post
    what about David F. Walker, he is a great writer
    I never read anything from him, I don't know.

Alan Moore is still current you know? He is publishing comics at the moment.

Mighty Member

Penty of Marvel writers (or other writers in the industry) are on Moore's level.

To put it bluntly, Moore is over-rated. He was able to shine 30 years ago because the standard for the industry was so much lower. But, despite what he likes to think about himself, the industry has grown past him.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    Penty of Marvel writers (or other writers in the industry) are on Moore's level.

To put it bluntly, Moore is over-rated. He was able to shine 30 years ago because the standard for the industry was so much lower. But, despite what he likes to think about himself, the industry has grown past him.
    I think no matter what the standard of the industry, Marvelman, V for Vendetta, Watchmen, and Swamp Thing would be considered seminal works at any time, in any era.

They're brilliant, period, and the industry will always be reaching for the goal posts that Moore set.

That said, the current industry is full of excellent talent, across all publishers. I hesitate to directly compare anyone to Moore or try to claim they're equal or better than he is but comics are not suffering for lack of talent. It's hard for writers today to make the same kind of impact that Moore did simply because what Moore did can't be replicated. He advanced the maturity level of comic storytelling. That in itself was a shock at the time. Now we expect writers to work at that level so it's no longer revelatory when they do.

I've found that Kieron Gillen (Star Wars: Darth Vader, Star Wars: Doctor Aphra, Star Wars main) and Kelly Thompson (Hawkeye: Kate Bishop) to be really good writers, but I've no idea where they would rank with Alan Moore; the only thing I tried reading by him was Watchmen and I didn't find it to be that good IMHO.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post

Totally agree; he was merely one of the first (along with Miller) to bring superheroism to the dark, depressing pit that writers are still trying to pull themselves out of.

I think Hickman was the last "great" but Gillen is up there as is Aaron (I know for some in the Thor sub will vehemently disagree).

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Totally agree; he was merely one of the first (along with Miller) to bring superheroism to the dark, depressing pit that writers are still trying to pull themselves out of.

I think Hickman was the last "great" but Gillen is up there as is Aaron (I know for some in the Thor sub will vehemently disagree).
    I really can’t understand how anybody reading a large body of Alan Moore’s work can come to a fair conclusion that he was a one note predominantly pessimistic/ dark writer.

I think he has enormous range, much more than most of my favourite writers there’s a ton of stuff I love, a ton I loathe...and a lot of stuff in-between.

But let’s look at stuff that was basically uplifting in tone. I’d include his wonderful run on Swamp Thing..yes it was a horror story, but one in which the main characters resolution saw him triumph. His great Superman stories were basically optimistic. As was...even more obviously..his work on ABC comics.

And his early 2000AD work showed a sense of humour that I’ve really seen equalled.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I've read Watchmen and the Killing Joke and neither compelled me to think "I've got to find some more Alan Moore stuff".

Comparisons are odorous

Alan Moore is a truly great writer, certainly one of the greatest in the medium.

However, there are obviously good writers in Marvel (and for that matter DC and other comic publishers, and of course many excellent writers who work on creator-owned material). Many of them are at relatively early stages of their careers, and who knows what they might yet achieve?
    Last edited by Coin Biter; 05-08-2018 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    I really can’t understand how anybody reading a large body of Alan Moore’s work can come to a fair conclusion that he was a one note predominantly pessimistic/ dark writer.

I think he has enormous range, much more than most of my favourite writers there’s a ton of stuff I love, a ton I loathe...and a lot of stuff in-between.

But let’s look at stuff that was basically uplifting in tone. I’d include his wonderful run on Swamp Thing..yes it was a horror story, but one in which the main characters resolution saw him triumph. His great Superman stories were basically optimistic. As was...even more obviously..his work on ABC comics.

And his early 2000AD work showed a sense of humour that I’ve really seen equalled.
    Couldn’t agree more.

Moore’s contribution has been vast. Take Halo Jones, for example; it’s difficult to imagine a comic more different than most of the superhero works with which people are familiar.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Matthew Rosenberg.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES