Default Revisiting Classics or Sequels to Classics

In the Luther Arkwright thread, Slop101 made the point that there was a knee jerk reaction to dismiss the sequel, Heart of Empire.

This reminded me of Brian Cronin's point in the best Batman artist articles that DKSA is actually a very good work that suffers because it didn't compare to the first. Grant Morrison makes a similar point about that book.

Now, I think it is important to say that it is perfectly legitimate to dislike DKSA or HOE.

But what sequels or later stories that revisit the same ground as classics do you believe are actually good works but have suffered bad press because of what they followed?
    Last edited by Jorge; 07-20-2014 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
    In the Luther Arkwright thread, Slop101 made the point that there was a knee jerk reaction to dismiss the sequel, Heart of Empire.

This reminded me of Brian Cronin's point in the best Batman artist articles that DKSA is actually a very good work that suffers because it didn't compare to the first. Grant Morrison makes a similar point about that book.

Now, I think it is important to say that it is perfectly legitimate to dislike DKSA or HOE.

But what sequels or later stories that revisit the same ground as classics do you believe are actually good works but have suffered bad press because of what they followed?
    Minority opinion here, but at the time I just loved Infinite Crisis. I recently dove into comics then and got caught up in the anticipation of Infinite Crisis and all of the things that were happening while at the same time loading up on trades. Between OMAC Project, Villains United, the return of Supergirl in Superman/Batman, Green Lantern Rebirth and catching up on the JLA book, it was a very exciting time for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    Minority opinion here, but at the time I just loved Infinite Crisis. I recently dove into comics then and got caught up in the anticipation of Infinite Crisis and all of the things that were happening while at the same time loading up on trades. Between OMAC Project, Villains United, the return of Supergirl in Superman/Batman, Green Lantern Rebirth and catching up on the JLA book, it was a very exciting time for me.
    That's awesome that you got enjoyment out of it. It wasn't my favorite comic book but I still liked it and thought the art was awesome.

Have you read the video game tie-in sort of sequel, Infinite Crisis: Fight for the Multiverse? I've read the first 7 chapters on Comixology. I haven't been terribly impressed but you might enjoy it, especially if you have an affinity for those type of books? It is written by Dan Abnett with rotating artists.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    I love that time, but it's probably because I started to really discower the DCU with Identity and Infinite Crisis (I don't like Identity Crisis but the stuff between that az Infinite Crisis I really like).

Not a sequel but I think a lot of people are hating on Morrison's N52 Action comics because it's not All-Star Superman 2. I don't say it's as good as ASS but I absolutely enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I love that time, but it's probably because I started to really discower the DCU with Identity and Infinite Crisis (I don't like Identity Crisis but the stuff between that az Infinite Crisis I really like).

Not a sequel but I think a lot of people are hating on Morrison's N52 Action comics because it's not All-Star Superman 2. I don't say it's as good as ASS but I absolutely enjoyed it.
    My brain has a hard time loving Morrison the first time around. Especially when he has talking dolphins and quard demonic specters from Dimensions x etc. But then I read it a second time and it all clarifies. In many ways, All Star superman was a much more straight forward superhero story than Action. When I get redone rereading Batman and Son and Invisibles I might revisit Action.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
    My brain has a hard time loving Morrison the first time around. Especially when he has talking dolphins and quard demonic specters from Dimensions x etc. But then I read it a second time and it all clarifies. In many ways, All Star superman was a much more straight forward superhero story than Action. When I get redone rereading Batman and Son and Invisibles I might revisit Action.
    talking nazi dolphins IIRC.