Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Default Reason for Teen!Spidey

I know I’m going to get hate for saying this, but here we go:

To all those who are complaining about Kid MCU Spider-Man, don’t you think the point is so that we can grow with Peter? After all, both Toby and Andrew had to be replaced fast because they started as 20-something playing a teenager, and would soon be 30-somerhing playing 20-something. At least with Tom Holland, we can watch him develop into an adult and keep the same actor the whole time.

That doesn’t excuse everything (I’m not fond of him being a Stark fanboy), but it at least explains why they are starting young.

Now watch as the rocks fly.
    Last edited by SilverWarriorWolf; 05-08-2018 at 11:10 AM.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

If they wanted to make him a teen they should have cribbed off Spectacular Spider-Man to know how to do it properly and have no ridiculous Stark fanboyism.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

My problem is not that he is a teen, is the fact that he is an Avenger and Iron Man fanboy what really anoys me. Actually i think that him starting as a teenager is a solid idea.

Honestly, I don't really have as much of a problem with them going much younger for Spider-Man this time around so long as Marvel Studios actually does right by the character and we actually get to see Peter graduate from high school and really grow into an adult and accomplished, competent, Superhero like comic Spider-Man before the reboots hit.

I'm not sure if they're doing as good a job of portraying a teenage Spidey as I'd like, but that's a whole different question.

I'm going to be really bummed if they kill him off by the time he's finished with high school just to bring Miles in.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    If they wanted to make him a teen they should have cribbed off Spectacular Spider-Man to know how to do it properly and have no ridiculous Stark fanboyism.
    I’m not sure what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    I’m not sure what you mean.
    If Marvel wanted to make Spider-Man have an interesting life as a teen superhero they should have taken cues form the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon the one that managed to mix both his teen and adult adventures well.

I agree Spectacular was one of my favorite teenage Spider-Man renditions.
    Last edited by Celgress; 05-08-2018 at 05:30 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I'm not against TeenSpidey, I'm more against TeenPeter. I rather pull an Insomniac and just skip ahead with Pete and save High school for Miles, Kamala, Annie May etc.

Plus it being the third reboot it just felt tedious and him being in high school felt better suited to TV than film to me so I'm not super invested in Homecoming.

Hope that makes sense.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 05-08-2018 at 12:06 PM.

That was taken from Ultimate Spider-Man, which was the main source material for the movie. Now, it was not as prominent in the comics as it was for the movie's story, but it was true to the character (or rather the version of the character they were working off of).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I agree Spectalur was one of my favorite teenage Spider-Man renditions.
    And he was a hero without the Avengers in that one too. It's a shame we got Ultimate SPider-Man and Marvel's SPider-Man instead.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    That was taken from Ultimate Spider-Man, which was the main source material for the movie. Now, it was not as prominent in the comics as it was for the movie's story, but it was true to the character (or rather the version of the character they were working off of).
    You don't say? That sort of explains the Ned Leeds who looks like Ganke Lee though not Michelle Jones and the Indian Flash Thompson. So the Stark fanboy business stems from Ultimate Peter Parker? That's an unusual choice because some fans of the movie say the Homecoming movie takes ideas from the earlier Spider-Man comics where Peter tried to join the Fantastic Four

If Marvel wanted to make Spider-Man have an interesting life as a teen superhero they should have taken cues form the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon the one that managed to mix both his teen and adult adventures well.
    Ah, I see what you mean.

I think that would have been best, too.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    My problem is not that he is a teen, is the fact that he is an Avenger and Iron Man fanboy what really anoys me. Actually i think that him starting as a teenager is a solid idea.
    If they had made him a teen and wrote him like Stan Lee did with modern dialogue, I woulda been totally down with the movies tbh...
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Spectacular Spider-Man is my favourite iteration of the character, and the series, but I don't mind this version in the MCU.

What has to be remembered is that Spider-Man's context is completely different in the MCU than any other adaptation. In anything else, either he's the only hero, or he started being Spider-Man fairly early on at the same time of the other heroes. In the MCU, however, Peter becomes Spider-Man about a few months before the start of Civil War, so that's alot of heroes and alot of stuff that has already happened in that universe.

After he becomes gifted like all these other famous people in the world, and once one of them gives him a sense of recognition, of course he'd want to seek out to be on their level. It isn't like in the comics where the Avengers, Ultimates, etc. expanded adjacent to him, and he retroactively discovered what they are, this Peter lives in a world where Avengers, SHIELD, and superheroes are world-famous, so that changes up the dynamic and allows for the opportunity to tell this type of story.

Also, I really like this portrayal and Tom Holland's performance, he just captures the essence of a hyper-jittery teen so well. I love just how excited he is about everything.

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    If they had made him a teen and wrote him like Stan Lee did with modern dialogue, I woulda been totally down with the movies tbh...
    Which version? Ditko or Romita Sr.? I’d like Romita Sr.’s, but Ditko’s was kind of a jerk.