Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Shockdingo View Post
    I've been gushing about this issue all over the place and can't get enough of it. I, as others have said, have gotten tired of the countless retcons and messing with the history of the symbiote, but for me, Cates gets it. He's a self professed Venom fan (HE EVEN MADE EDDIE'S FAMOUS BAGLEY JACKET!!!!) and he said he'l be using things from Venom's entire history. The first issue shows he knows how to balance things out and I'm all aboard. I gotta go back, but I'm pretty sure he said Flash will be involved in this book. He's already got 7 arcs planned and I'm willing to stick around for all.

Rex immediately won me over and Eddie's still continuing to better himself, but the odds are against him. That page where he destroys the truck is goregous. Everyone came together for this, the inks, the colours, the lettering, the story, the lineart. I loved the new designs for the "corrupted state" -- freakin' creepy.

Can't wait for issue 2!
    Can't wait for #2 also. Going to re-read #1 again. This book is soooooo good. I haven't even finished reading my pull-list because nothing else will be as good

I just want to add my voice to those praising this excellent first issue. At a stroke decades of often confusing retcons about the Symbiotes was done away with, good job.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    There's nothing lazy about this issue. Whether you liked it or not, it's pretty clear how much the creative team busted ass on it.
    Jeez, did you even read my comment? I said I appreciated this issue for what it was - an interesting Eddie Brock story. I even implied I enjoyed it, just not completely since I can't get the horrible writing from the earlier volume of Venom out of my head. I mean, I literally even said Cates is one of the best writers at marvel. The lazy writing is from the horribly done Venom Vol. 3.

Just because a book isn't going in the direction you personally want it to doesn't make it creatively lazy.
    No, but removing character devlopment and growth to go back to the 90s since they aren't creative enough to tell new stories is...

Anyways, just to make it clear - I actually enjoyed this issue but the reason I don't want to buy Venom comics anymore is because I don't support the decision to screw over Flash like that. Not because the issue was bad.
    Last edited by blackspidey2099; 05-10-2018 at 07:58 PM.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

This was a fantastic start. Marvel will get my money for however long this team is on this.
    We need better comics

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Excellent issue. I'm really curious to see what this 'god' is. Also, I really hope we see more of the design with the tendrils and the spiral eye. I'd also really love to see more of this ancient symbiote language, and if it is in any way related to R'lyehian, which does exist in the MU.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Jeez, did you even read my comment? I said I appreciated this issue for what it was - an interesting Eddie Brock story. I even implied I enjoyed it, just not completely since I can't get the horrible writing from the earlier volume of Venom out of my head. I mean, I literally even said Cates is one of the best writers at marvel. The lazy writing is from the horribly done Venom Vol. 3.
    It seems odd to criticize a current issue for what you see as the faults of the previous volume.

No, but removing character development and growth to go back to the 90s since they aren't creative enough to tell new stories is...
    Well, these are new stories and, based on this first issue, the current run looks to be very creative.

Just because Eddie is the protagonist doesn't mean the book is lazily going back to the '90s. Some might argue that it's lazy to not keep developing Eddie and to cast him aside in favor of new hosts. But I think both approaches are valid - it just depends on the quality of the writing.

Anyways, just to make it clear - I actually enjoyed this issue but the reason I don't want to buy Venom comics anymore is because I don't support the decision to screw over Flash like that. Not because the issue was bad.
    Well, I liked Flash as Venom too and I hope we'll keep seeing him in action as Anti-Venom. But I don't fault Marvel for bringing Eddie back and making him central to the book again. He's core to the Venom concept and I think he's a character that still has layers to him that haven't been explored.

Great start. Fantastic art. Cates is doing gods work at Marvel. Lol. Between this, Thanos, and Damnation. I about ready to pick up anything with his name on it.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I'm still bitter about Flash.

Maybe I should get over it....
    I was bitter over Flash too at first. But then I saw that they didn't really regress Venom back to the one note "I hate Spider-Man blah blah blah" bull. The dynamic between Eddie and the symbiote is better than ever and has been pretty impressive. Plus the sheer respect between Flash and Brock and the fact they made Flash Anti-Venom.

They're doing their own thing with Flash and I'm fine with it. I'm sure he'll have a presence in this book down the line. But it also seems like they have something BIG in store for Venom and I'm actually excited.

No, but removing character devlopment and growth to go back to the 90s since they aren't creative enough to tell new stories is...

I'm going to say this. I was scared they were going to do the same thing, but they haven't. If anything, they've GIVEN him more character development. As I mentioned already, Eddie has given up his grudge against Spider-man. Hell, I'll even go as far as to say he respects him. He's trying to better himself. He's not going around talking about eating brains and spleens like he did in the 90s. He's someone who firmly believes in heroes and is trying to do the right thing.

Flash.....again, I liked Flash as Venom. But they have done well by him too lately. Another thing I've been thinking about. Spider-Man is doing his own thing. Venom is doing his. One character they both have in common? Flash. He's a bigger deal than you're giving him credit for and there is a LOT of potential there. Does it suck how he lost the Venom symbiote? Yes. Is he in a better place now? Also yes.
    Last edited by Aura Blaize; 05-11-2018 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    It seems odd to criticize a current issue for what you see as the faults of the previous volume.
    Jeez man I said I am not criticizing this issue and I even explicitly stated I enjoyed it. I just don't want to buy the comic because every time I see Eddie as Venom it reminds me that Flash is no loner Venom, which makes me feel sad. And I don't want to buy things which make me feel sad. I encourage anyone who likes Venom to buy it otherwise.

Well, these are new stories and, based on this first issue, the current run looks to be very creative.

Just because Eddie is the protagonist doesn't mean the book is lazily going back to the '90s. Some might argue that it's lazy to not keep developing Eddie and to cast him aside in favor of new hosts. But I think both approaches are valid - it just depends on the quality of the writing.
    Like I said, not commenting specifically about the current run, which I hope ends up being good (and am confident will). And I still think it's lazy to do a Symbiote swap like that, and even more lazy the way they screwed Flash out of the symbiote. I also didn't say Eddie should be cast aside. I think he had more development as Anti-Venom, and then Toxin, than he ever had as Venom TBH. Remender and Bunn wrote him very well in Venom Vol. 2.

Well, I liked Flash as Venom too and I hope we'll keep seeing him in action as Anti-Venom. But I don't fault Marvel for bringing Eddie back and making him central to the book again. He's core to the Venom concept and I think he's a character that still has layers to him that haven't been explored.
    Anti-Venom is a poor replacement. One of the best things about Flash as Venom is how he was the one who actually got to know the symbiote and actually become its friend. Their dynamic was really great. Eddie never really had that, and now they're just copying it over from Flash basically.

Quote Originally Posted by Seto Kaiba View Post
    I'm going to say this. I was scared they were going to do the same thing, but they haven't. If anything, they've GIVEN him more character development. As I mentioned already, Eddie has given up his grudge against Spider-man. Hell, I'll even go as far as to say he respects him. He's trying to better himself. He's not going around talking about eating brains and spleens like he did in the 90s. He's someone who firmly believes in heroes and is trying to do the right thing.
    This was true since Anti-Venom, which was like 10 years ago. Not a recent thing.

Flash.....again, I liked Flash as Venom. But they have done well by him too lately. Another thing I've been thinking about. Spider-Man is doing his own thing. Venom is doing his. One character they both have in common? Flash. He's a bigger deal than you're giving him credit for and there is a LOT of potential there. Does it suck how he lost the Venom symbiote? Yes. Is he in a better place now? Also yes.
    Well, I hope so. I'm not here to argue, so I'll leave it at that. I genuinely enjoy Cates' writing so I hope this book does well. The only reason I'm not sure whether to read it is because it makes me feel sad that Flash got screwed over after Venom: Space Knight (and TBH it was out of character for the symbiote to stay with Eddie after Venom Inc.) and I can't read Venom without being reminded about that.
    Last edited by blackspidey2099; 05-11-2018 at 06:51 PM.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

This was true since Anti-Venom, which was like 10 years ago. Not a recent thing.
    True. But it's telling that this time it's Venom. One of the defining traits for the venom symbiote was its hatred for Spider-Man. The fact they're behind that is big. At least to me.

Well, I hope so. I'm not here to argue, so I'll leave it at that. I genuinely enjoy Cates' writing so I hope this book does well. The only reason I'm not sure whether to read it is because it makes me feel sad that Flash got screwed over after Venom: Space Knight (and TBH it was out of character for the symbiote to stay with Eddie after Venom Inc.) and I can't read Venom without being reminded about that.
    It had no choice. Flash was Anti-Venom at that point and was basically toxic to the symbiote.

To be fair, the symbiote couldn't decide between both before Flash became Anti-Venom, after that it couldn't go for Flash without getting killed, and while I know that the symbiote has all the emotional stability of a moody schoolgirl with a crush, I doubt it's to the point of getting killed pointlessly for one of its "love interests" lol.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Issue was Amazing, Spectacular and Sensational

Stegman's visuals were great. this is classic venom to the extreme. loved the call back to the Flash era. and im fine with the reveal because why wouldnt Symbiote have been on earth in the past. Sounds good to me. the evil Symbiote's look wicked. and a Klyntar God? neat. cant wait for issue 2.

Also the logo is awesome
    X-Men Forever

This was simply amazing. had to read it twice to let it all sink in. Definitely on board!

Quote Originally Posted by Seto Kaiba View Post
    True. But it's telling that this time it's Venom. One of the defining traits for the venom symbiote was its hatred for Spider-Man. The fact they're behind that is big. At least to me.
    Agreed. I'm glad they haven't regressed that far, at least.

It had no choice. Flash was Anti-Venom at that point and was basically toxic to the symbiote.
    It's not exactly difficult to remove the Anti-Venom.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    To be fair, the symbiote couldn't decide between both before Flash became Anti-Venom, after that it couldn't go for Flash without getting killed, and while I know that the symbiote has all the emotional stability of a moody schoolgirl with a crush, I doubt it's to the point of getting killed pointlessly for one of its "love interests" lol.
    Yeah, but AFAIK the symbiote literally said Flash was its best host when Flash was its host. Eddie never really had such a close relationship with it until they forced the symbiote back onto him - in fact, it was even more OOC for Eddie to take back the symbiote in the first place IMO.
    Last edited by blackspidey2099; 05-12-2018 at 09:01 AM.

Spectacular Member

Glad to read all this good will towards the issue. Myself I've never been interested in Venom, though I have been meaning to pick up trades of Agent Venom and Venom: Space Knight.

But after his great runs on God Country, Babyteeth, Doctor Strange and (what I've heard about) Thanos; Donny Cates is an instant sell for me. Unfortunately I don't have space to pull it since I need to cap my pull list at 10 this summer, I already picked up Domino and Exiles and plan to stay on Black Panther and pull Immortal Hulk. But I'm really hyped for the trade. Or I might pick it up later when Mister Miracle or (probably) Old Man Logan end.
    Floppies as of November: Adventures of the Super Sons, Batman, Catwoman, The Green Lantern, Black Panther, Dead Man Logan, Domino, Exiles, Iceman, Immortal Hulk
    Digital as of November: Daughters of the Dragon, Iron Fist: Phantom Limb, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage.