Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default After #FireRickRemender, Can We Have a Real Conversation?

ROBOT 6 reflects on the recent social-media firestorm, and wonders whether we're capable of bypassing the name-calling to have a productive discussion.

Full article here.

We can, but it matters how you go into that conversation and who you get into it with.

Some people are trolls. That's it. And some people get into it already ticked, unwilling to even hear the other side. It's going to be hard getting anything out of either.

However, if you find yourself unwilling to hear the other side, you may want to take some time to relax. Yes, some points may seem/be entirely invalid, but discussions are meant to be two way streets, listening and speaking.

I think that Remender's response to criticism being telling someone to drown themselves in hobo piss shows the chance of any conversations. You can't have a conversation if a writer's response to criticism is to insult people and tell them to kill themselves.

I didn't know he had said that. What an excellent example he sets as a representative of the company. Marvel must be proud
    "At my core I was never a hero, I was a hunter"

BANNED

Only when heavily moderated or anonymity is removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mockingbird View Post
    I think that Remender's response to criticism being telling someone to drown themselves in hobo piss shows the chance of any conversations. You can't have a conversation if a writer's response to criticism is to insult people and tell them to kill themselves.

Is this for real? I like Remender's work usually but this is supremely off putting. Lol at the guy writing Captain America being unwilling to rationally listen to someone's opinion.

Wow. The more I think about this the more disgusting it is. I may have to swear myself off his work for such a childish response.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 07-20-2014 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post
    Only when heavily moderated or anonymity is removed.
    Honestly, this. That would remove the trolling out of it, which tends to ruin the discourse.

I'm willing to be rational

Fantastic Member Jumpoff AKA JohnnyBlazed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Is this for real? I like Remender's work usually but this is supremely off putting. Lol at the guy writing Captain America being unwilling to rationally listen to someone's opinion.

Wow. The more I think about this the more disgusting it is. I may have to swear myself off his work for such a childish response.
    Eh there was more to it than just listening to someone's opinion, people(fans) feel like that can say whatever they want to a writer.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 07-20-2014 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post

Yep! He indeed did it!

BANNED

Wow. One post in and it immediately became about Remender instead of the problem with the work. I guess we can't have a real conversation.

I can't believe people are still hammering on this issue. A "real conversation" couldn't be had because the statutory rape never happened. It was made up and then spread by well articulated blogs and hashtags so that people who didn't read Captain America might have thought it actually happened or that the situation was ambiguous enough to cause a rational reader to think statutory rape happened (as a reader, it was not. Jet was clearly an adult and was established as such many issues ago). One need in no way be a "rape apologist" to acknowledge that.

So there was no statutory rape, and I don't think there needs to be any conversation about the interracial nature of the encounter. This isn't 1965. Miscegenation shouldn't be controversial, and hopefully most people don't even know what the word means anymore.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    Honestly, this. That would remove the trolling out of it, which tends to ruin the discourse.
    RR wrote under his own name, so anonymity is not all of the problem.

Has anyone seen any of the supposed insults that were posted BEFORE he told readers to kill themselves?

So I missed all this controversy, but reading the link, and the links in the linked article, it seems to be pretty much:

Some readers mistakenly thought that Remender had written Falcon sleeping with an underage girl. Some tumblr social justice warriors picked up on this and, as usual, wrote angry tumblr blogs about the racist, sexist, ablist, cis-privileged, heteronormative, misogyny of it all and demanded Remender be fired. Remender got pissed off with people trying to get him fired due to their inability to read some text in a comic and told them to drown themselves.

Is that about right?

Seems like a mixture of a storm in a teacup and tumblr being tumblr. Nothing to see here, surely?

So how old is Jet? I never knew she had an exact age