Default How Would a Minority Psychic Use Their Powers?

I wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the Minorities In Comics and Related Media thread, but I figured that was for actual characters in media.

I was thinking about human characters with psychic powers in comics, like Xavier, Jean, Rachel, Cable, Nate Grey, Emma, etc., and there's a... certain sameness about them. And someone like Psylocke isn't an Asian woman, but an English woman transplanted into an Asian body. So I was pondering how a minority who discovered they had psychic powers would use their powers to try to achieve reality. Say a group of people were attacking a minority, and that incident triggered their powers, and they halted the attack and dispersed the group. After realizing what they could do and feeling a responsibility to try to change things for the better, how could they go about doing so? Also, while feeling certain that if it were ever discovered that they had these powers, they would be killed. After all, if unarmed minorities are killed, then one with powers like that certainly would. And they aren't a Luke Cage, for whom being gunned down or sniped isn't a concern. So I'm trying to solicit ideas on how such a person would go about using their powers and stay alive long enough to make some kind of positive change.
    Protex: “Tronix! Fluxus! What’s happening there? Zenturion? He’s only one man!”
    Superman: “The most… uh… dangerous man on earth…”
    — Superman on Batman, JLA #3 (Mar. 1997)

“He’s the most dangerous man alive in any comic universe.” — Wizard Magazine on Doctor Doom (Nov. 1998)

“[He’s] the most dangerous man in the Marvel universe, because his greatest weapon is the way he thinks and plans, his tremendous intellect.” — Tom Brevoort on T’Challa (Sep. 2010)

I have a good number of ideas. Let us call our hero X.

One of the best things which can be done by X, would be to target the leaders. The people with influence on the society. The topmost is usually the president or the prime minister. If X could access such a leader and change their thoughts or control their mind the biggest impact is possible. The leader may not necessarily be the highest. It can begin with the local level. Say the mayor. It might not be political too. Religious leaders can wield a lot of influence on the society and even government. Rich businessmen are good targets too. Money is power. And power means influence. X can start with the less influential and move to the most influential. If i had such psychic powers i would have done that.

On a side note one can even write a political story to find where the power really lies. Businesses have no business in influencing government. But the kind of money which plays around it would be naive to think that businessmen don't influence the politics at all. Our hero searches for the true seat of power while trying to make positive changes in the society.

That's one direction where my mind went. There are others. X may not be like Superman. Someone wanting to do the right thing just because its the right thing to do. X can start as Spider-man too. Instead of using the powers to the best of one's ability, use it for oneself. Before X learns the lesson. X may try to hide. Here's an example. People try to fit in. So, by psychic abilities X can hide in plain sight. Get the best of the world. Say black people are being persecuted. X is black but makes creates an illusion that he's not black. That kind of fitting in can tell a lot of stories too. Can X be happy and comfortable with hiding his identity and let his brothers and sisters suffer? Or X starts to help while hiding like that? A vigilante. Like a Batman.

My thought runs to another direction. What if the persecution is so severe that people are dying? Getting hunted or killed. In that case escape or hiding is the best thing to do. People used to hide in mountains, forests, caves. Run to other countries to escape persecution. X can help out such people. One of the things which can be done is finding such powerful people among the oppressed. If X is one psychic, why can't there be more among the oppressed class? Its sounding like an X-Men.

One can mix all the ideas mentioned by me. Influencing the powerful. Hiding. Helping. Forming groups. The ideas are of a general nature. They can be expanded. Was my post useful or you wanted something different?

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    I have a good number of ideas. Let us call our hero X.

One of the best things which can be done by X, would be to target the leaders. The people with influence on the society. The topmost is usually the president or the prime minister. If X could access such a leader and change their thoughts or control their mind the biggest impact is possible. The leader may not necessarily be the highest. It can begin with the local level. Say the mayor. It might not be political too. Religious leaders can wield a lot of influence on the society and even government. Rich businessmen are good targets too. Money is power. And power means influence. X can start with the less influential and move to the most influential. If i had such psychic powers i would have done that.
    It seems this would be the best way to go about effecting change with such a power. Since a regular Joe/Jane with no connections wouldn't be able to get an audience with someone like the president, it would be necessary for such a person to work his/her way up the totem pole of society's influential.

On a side note one can even write a political story to find where the power really lies. Businesses have no business in influencing government. But the kind of money which plays around it would be naive to think that businessmen don't influence the politics at all. Our hero searches for the true seat of power while trying to make positive changes in the society.
    I'd find such a story interesting.

That's one direction where my mind went. There are others. X may not be like Superman. Someone wanting to do the right thing just because its the right thing to do. X can start as Spider-man too. Instead of using the powers to the best of one's ability, use it for oneself. Before X learns the lesson. X may try to hide. Here's an example. People try to fit in. So, by psychic abilities X can hide in plain sight. Get the best of the world. Say black people are being persecuted. X is black but makes creates an illusion that he's not black. That kind of fitting in can tell a lot of stories too. Can X be happy and comfortable with hiding his identity and let his brothers and sisters suffer? Or X starts to help while hiding like that? A vigilante. Like a Batman.
    Some interesting stories could come out of this as well. If you can project illusions, then it would be possible to "pass" as anyone you wished to, since you could appear to anyone however you want. But what about everyone who doesn't have that luxury? If they decide to help others, then they could use that ability to be in a position to make things better.

My thought runs to another direction. What if the persecution is so severe that people are dying? Getting hunted or killed. In that case escape or hiding is the best thing to do. People used to hide in mountains, forests, caves. Run to other countries to escape persecution. X can help out such people. One of the things which can be done is finding such powerful people among the oppressed. If X is one psychic, why can't there be more among the oppressed class? Its sounding like an X-Men.
    One person can only do so much, be at one place at one time, etc., so it would be necessary at some point to find other powerful people with a similar goal.

One can mix all the ideas mentioned by me. Influencing the powerful. Hiding. Helping. Forming groups. The ideas are of a general nature. They can be expanded. Was my post useful or you wanted something different?
    Yes, it was definitely useful, thank you. You've presented several possibilities that could be fleshed out.

I was thinking about characters in comics like Magneto, who, when made to be a Jewish Holocaust survivor, that effected how he used his powers on behalf of mutants to ensure something like what he was privy to didn't happen again. If you're a minority, then your experience living as a minority would necessarily influence how you would use superpowers if you develop them. And then I started thinking about how many minority characters in comics have powers that lend themselves to being used to bring about a positive change in society. For instance, something like super strength wouldn't really be of much use in combating institutional racism.

“He’s the most dangerous man alive in any comic universe.” — Wizard Magazine on Doctor Doom (Nov. 1998)

“[He’s] the most dangerous man in the Marvel universe, because his greatest weapon is the way he thinks and plans, his tremendous intellect.” — Tom Brevoort on T’Challa (Sep. 2010)

One thing I'd recommend is doing a lot of reading on Social Engineering.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...ehavior-change

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social...ing_(security)

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    One thing I'd recommend is doing a lot of reading on Social Engineering.
    Will do. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by T'Challa Bruce Von Doom View Post
    Will do. Much appreciated.
    I'd also recommend watching Leverage, except imagining psychic powers in place of a lot of the ruses they use in the show.

I'd also recommend watching Leverage, except imagining psychic powers in place of a lot of the ruses they use in the show.
    Ahhh Leverage, the show where everyone multiclassed into Rogue at one point.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    Ahhh Leverage, the show where everyone multiclassed into Rogue at one point.
    I love that show so so so so much. xD

I love that show so so so so much. xD
    I've tried to convince a few friends that a Leverage game (Start at lvl 5 at least with 2-3 levels of Rogue each) would be great, but I keep getting shot down even though they love the show as much as I do. I've even suggested the old and 'slightly broken' Gestalt rules if they wanted, but so far no dice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    I've tried to convince a few friends that a Leverage game (Start at lvl 5 at least with 2-3 levels of Rogue each) would be great, but I keep getting shot down even though they love the show as much as I do. I've even suggested the old and 'slightly broken' Gestalt rules if they wanted, but so far no dice.
    Honestly just better off playing the Leverage RPG in a fantasy setting, or a Levearge based Shadow of the Demon Lord campaign.

Definitely an intriguing concept and I love the way you guys have thought about the situation as a whole. And omg, I love Leverage!!! It's still one of the few shows I can watch over and over; I have no idea why.