Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Dc comics $2.99 vs $3.99

OK I JUST READ AN ARTICLE IN NEWSARAMA THAT STARTING IN JULY.WONDER WOMAN and the FLASH ARE GOING UP TO $3.99.A MONTH HOWEVER THE ARTICLE DIDN'T SAY IF THEY WERE GOING TO BE TWICE A MONTH or MONTHLY.I LOVE DC.BUT I HOPE THEY UNDERSTAND THAT NOT EVERYONE CAN AFFORD THE $3.99 TWICE A MONTH IF THEIR BUYING ALOT OF BOOKS.

Yeah I hope it means they're going monthly then because there's no way I can afford to pick up these bi-weekly series for $4. The fact that Justice League is going $4 bi-weekly isn't a great sign though.

BANNED

This might be the company's giving in to writers who don't want to write two issues per month of the same comic. In any case, I'm not sure how smart it is.

It's just maximizing profits. They can raise bi-weekly books to $3.99 because they know enough people will pay that.
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    It's just maximizing profits. They can raise bi-weekly books to $3.99 because they know enough people will pay that.
    Maybe they're doing that, but it's not clear that they are.

Fantastic Member

Price hikes (and removal of digital codes), creative turnover for no reason, the return of "incentive" variants to artificially boost sales (and drive collectors nuts)...DiDio and Lee are BACK, everyone!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Truman Burbank View Post
    Price hikes (and removal of digital codes), creative turnover for no reason, the return of "incentive" variants to artificially boost sales (and drive collectors nuts)...DiDio and Lee are BACK, everyone!
    It sounds to me as if they're cutting those titles back to monthly, possibly at the request of the writers, and charging the same price they do for all their monthlies and that Marvel charges for all its comics.

I don't know why you'd go off on DiDio and Lee about that. But if you're fed up with paying four dollars for 20-page funny books in which all too often nothing much happens -- as well you should be -- then go here and vote for some price relief.

http://community.comicbookresources....s-on-newsprint
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 05-10-2018 at 08:56 AM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by warzon View Post
    OK I JUST READ AN ARTICLE IN NEWSARAMA THAT STARTING IN JULY. WONDER WOMAN and the FLASH ARE GOING UP TO $3.99.A MONTH HOWEVER THE ARTICLE DIDN'T SAY IF THEY WERE GOING TO BE TWICE A MONTH or MONTHLY.I LOVE DC.BUT I HOPE THEY UNDERSTAND THAT NOT EVERYONE CAN AFFORD THE $3.99 TWICE A MONTH IF THEIR BUYING ALOT OF BOOKS.
    It's monthly. They did the same thing the first time there are bimonthly titles that become monthly. It was Supergirl and Birds of Prey if I'm not mistaken? Recently Nightwing's become a monthly $3.99 as well.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I've just started reading the Flash again with the most recent issue but I'm going to jump ship after Flash War if they're going to keep bi-weekly shipping their comics at $4. It's why I'm not even willing to give the new Justice League title a chance, despite looking pretty promising. A $4 monthly isn't great, but bi-weekly is just unacceptable.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by warzon View Post
    OK I JUST READ AN ARTICLE IN NEWSARAMA THAT STARTING IN JULY.WONDER WOMAN and the FLASH ARE GOING UP TO $3.99.A MONTH HOWEVER THE ARTICLE DIDN'T SAY IF THEY WERE GOING TO BE TWICE A MONTH or MONTHLY.I LOVE DC.BUT I HOPE THEY UNDERSTAND THAT NOT EVERYONE CAN AFFORD THE $3.99 TWICE A MONTH IF THEIR BUYING ALOT OF BOOKS.
    Its monthly just like every other twice a month book that was switched to monthly has been of late so that's nothing new really. Given that Williamson is writing an additional book in the new Justice League line I'm not surprised at all that he might have requested to have Flash go back to being monthly.

As for the price hikes with most of those books going monthly anyway I'm not bothered about paying $3.99 once a month when I was paying around $6.00 for them when they were twice a month. Between that change and the fact that my pull list keeps dwindling due to cancellations and creative team changes I'll be spending less anyway. I wasn't going to bother with Snyder's JL at $4.99 twice a month back when I had a lot of twice monthlies at $2.99 but I may even be able to afford that now with most of my pull at that point being monthly.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

What I really don't like, incidentally, is that $4 are 20 pages, not 22. They were shortened to keep the price at $3 so it's really sucky that they're keeping them at 20 pages for $4. DC and Marvel have been both doing this and they're often the most guilty of decompressed storytelling. It's especially grating to pend $4 on a comic that is just oen long fight scene. Compare this to most Image books, which may be $4 but they usually have at least 22 pages of story (often more) and fill up the rest with back-matter.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

I would be more annoyed if they made the books go once a month than I would be if they increased the price (which would only be 75p for me).
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    It sounds to me as if they're cutting those titles back to monthly, possibly at the request of the writers, and charging the same price they do for all their monthlies and that Marvel charges for all its comics.

I don't know why you'd go off on DiDio and Lee about that. But if you're fed up with paying four dollars for 20-page funny books in which all too often nothing much happens -- as well you should be -- then go here and vote for some price relief.

http://community.comicbookresources....s-on-newsprint
    I don't know why you'd blame the writers without an ounce of evidence, but here we are.

Extraordinary Member

While I hate it, I don't hold it against them. The $2.99 cover price is doing nothing to help them in the sales charts. While some (of us) vocal readers like to make a big deal of it just look at the top sellers. DC shipped a ton (aprox 450K) of Action Comics #1000. The two April issues of ASM combined for almost the same as AC#1000. Hunt for Wolverine #1 and Captain America #700 had $5.99 cover prices while Venomized #1 and Infinity Countdown #2 were $4.99. Marvel shipped solid number of Avengers for 16 weeks in a row at $3.99 at least.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    I don't know why you'd blame the writers without an ounce of evidence, but here we are.
    I'm not "blaming" anyone. I just don't think it's fair to blame DiDio and Lee. It's as likely to be the doing of the writers.

DC will do what makes the most money. Or at least they'll do what they THINK will make the most money. At some point though, people will balk at further price increases. Then what will DC do? They'll just have to look at ways of getting their costs down. They might as well do that now.