Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I solved the problem about monthly book prices a few years back.
    Went to Trade Waiting. It's cheaper, it just requires patience.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    If the cost of newsprint goes up, then that will happen to fancier paper too. All paper comes from trees.
    Not necessarily.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    Not necessarily.
    You could give Trey more facts about how his newsprint idea isn't possible for DC or Marvel, but he doesn't listen. I grew up in a paper mill town and can easily tell you that the equipment needed to produce different types of paper can vary wildly. it's huge and expensive and that industry is also in a decline. It has been for years.

BANNED

If you don't want the floppies printed on newsprint, then go to my poll and vote no. But the vote is running heavily in favor. And I bet if I posted it anew and nobody could now hold out for the fanciful option of paying $2.99 for floppies printed on expensive paper, the margin would be even bigger.

If you don't want the floppies printed on newsprint, then go to my poll and vote no. But the vote is running heavily in favor. And I bet if I posted it anew and nobody could now hold out for the fanciful option of paying $2.99 for floppies printed on expensive paper, the margin would be even bigger.
    Your poll is a fantasy based on a misconception of reality. I bet if I did a poll on who Americans would rather have as president, George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, or Donald Trump, Trump would lose by a wide margin. But in reality, the laws of this country and the realities of the other two options being deceased pretty much make those options invalid.

You fail to realize that it's not what we want or don't want, it's what possible in the real world. Every time you bring up Alterna, people tell you your idea can't work for DC and marvel and they've given you multiple reasons based in reality.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

If the Flash title drops back to monthly, I can wear it. Not happy about it, but I can cop it on the chin.
    What I WON'T do is pay $3.99 for a fortnightly book. That means the price for me jumps from $5.00 to $6.95 Australian per issue.
    It doesn't seem a lot, but it equates to an extra $48 a year to collect my favourite book.
    I have an uninterrupted run of the Flash dating back to #108 (1st series).
    I have put up with a LOT of crap. FMA and the last 12 months of Wally's run and subsequent shelving of Wally spring to mind....

This could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

"People Are In Favor Of Sugar Coated Unrealistic Option..."

Not exactly a shocker.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 05-11-2018 at 08:24 PM.

BANNED

I promise that if the price of 30-pound paper goes up, then the price of 50-pound paper will go up by just as much. They're made from the same material.
    Heavier paper has greater mass per square inch.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 05-12-2018 at 02:04 AM.

It's being done RIGHT NOW in 2018 by a company that doesn't enjoy DC's vast economies of scale. Per issue printed, DC's costs are NOT higher than that company's. DC's costs per issue printed are LOWER!
    DC actually pays its staff. That makes a big difference.

Your poll asked whether people would prefer cheaper newsprint books or expensive non-newsprint books.

It didn't ask whether people thought it was actually possible. I haven't voted in that thread because I don't really care either way between those two options, but I don't believe it is actually possible.

I promise that if the price of 30-pound paper goes up, then the price of 50-pound paper will go up by just as much. They're made from the same material.
    Heavier paper has greater mass per square inch.
    As someone who grew up in a paper mill town and knows many people who actually make paper, the equipment and prep for different kinds of paper differs. Where an increase in the price of the wood pulp would affect all kinds of paper, the machinery and setips each mill has to produce that kind of paper differs and that also affects price.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    DC actually pays its staff. That makes a big difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Your poll asked whether people would prefer cheaper newsprint books or expensive non-newsprint books.

It didn't ask whether people thought it was actually possible. I haven't voted in that thread because I don't really care either way between those two options, but I don't believe it is actually possible.
    Facts have no place here.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    Exactly. It's just like all the people talking about raising minimum wage to $15 an hour. All that will do is make the cost of products and the cost of living go up in response, which will put you right back to where you started at first.
    It goes up every year no matter what wages are set at.

That's why folks ask for a cost of living increase and when you don't give it as my school district is learning-folks LEAVE.

BANNED

This is why pirating exists. Why would people pay MORE money for less content and bad content at that? Same thing is happening in Marvel.

I don't like it, but DC's been trying to match the rest of the industry at $3.99 since at least 2010. Eventually the price is going to stick, and this just may be the time.